Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Does Wico still sell their spinners? They rock!  (Read 2328 times)

arcadecollecting

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 12, 2013, 07:19:17 pm
  • I was once a llama!
Does Wico still sell their spinners? They rock!
« on: August 23, 2002, 08:09:49 pm »
I picked up a Mad Planets recently and the spinner on it rocked my world! I gave it nice fast spin and 5 minutes later it was still spinning (no I'm not exaggerating!). It totally kills my Tempest spinner. (Okay, it's conceivable the Tempest got a *little* more playing than the Mad Planets.)

Wico doesn't seem to keep their catalog online. Anyone know if they still make the same kind as back in the day? It looks like a Tempest spinner from the outside, but under the control panel it's this cool enclosed black plastic case.

Thanks,
Tim

OSCAR

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 06, 2018, 11:31:53 pm
  • I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem...
    • Oscar Controls
Re:Does Wico still sell their spinners? They rock!
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2002, 09:58:23 pm »
Tempest spinners are notorious for loosing their spin because they used plastic bushings.  Nearly every Tempest I've come across in an arcade has the signature "whiiiirrrr" sound to it.

Google has a copy of Wico's latest catalog here:

http://catalog.google.com/catalogs?issue=6613&catpage=cover&catview=thumb

Wico has not produced any spinners for quite some time.  Your best bet for finding one, unfortunately, is eBay.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2002, 10:00:38 pm by OSCAR »

OSCAR

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 06, 2018, 11:31:53 pm
  • I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem...
    • Oscar Controls
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2002, 11:45:47 pm »
Did you mean 5 secs instead of 5 minutes?  I just ran a few calcs, and I figure that you would need approximately a 40# mass to sustain a 5 minute spin with a 1/4" shaft, under the best of conditions.  I assumed a 1% friction factor, which is very good, even for ball bearings.

If you can even get close to 1 minute of free spin, please email me.

Kelsey
info@oscarcontrols.com

arcadecollecting

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 12, 2013, 07:19:17 pm
  • I was once a llama!
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2002, 02:02:15 pm »
Okay, Mr. Physics  ;) I timed it with a stop watch and it spun for 1 minute, 50 seconds. Nearly 2 minutes.

Tim

nullb0y

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2023, 04:37:32 pm
  • Who wants some?
    • antinull
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2002, 02:31:57 pm »
have some bearings that will spin for nearly 5 min their from my skateboard all id have to do is grease em and clean em and they spin till the sun goes down i get speeds of 25-35 mpg so they dont break down but just buying a set they spin for around 10-20 secs i have a system of breaking bearings in and it makes them spin forever but takes about a month pluss i cant do it sence i dont have a not broken skateboard but i might clean up my bearings and rig a spinner with them that would be cool especially if u grease them lightly they make no noise at all great fo "stealth skating"
Alright. Who wants some? Who's next? Huh? How 'bout it? Who wants some? Huh? Who wants to have a little? You.
  You want some more? Huuuh? You want a little? Do ya? Huh? You want some more? Huh? Huh? Hh!

Elkor

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 12, 2007, 12:42:50 pm
  • What did I just say?
    • Full Circuit
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2002, 12:45:47 pm »
Hey oscar,

so are you in negotiations to buy/get your hands on this thing?
I'm sure we would all like a 2 minute spin!

-C
The sudden sight of me causes panic in the streets. They have yet to learn
-- only the savage fears what he does not understand.
                -- The Silver Surfer