Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: WTF?!? Tilt!  (Read 1251 times)

simplygriff

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 10, 2008, 10:05:05 am
    • simplygriff.com
WTF?!? Tilt!
« on: August 11, 2004, 10:21:03 am »
So a buddy and I were playing Ninja Warriors (you know you gotta love cyborg ninjas) last night for about an hour.  We had to be getting very close to the end.  When all of a sudden the screen goes black and tilt is all that is on the screen.  The game  then proceeds to reset and we're back at the beggining.  Booo!!!

I posted this little tale in software because after this incident my controls were f'd up.  I mean bad.  In mamewah scroll up was now random game, left was restart the music, right was switch to custom list etc. etc.  I mean it went berzerk.  I figured out that I had configured a button through JoytoKey to be "T" which was mame's setting for tilt in the game.  I changed this so it wouldn't ever happen again. I wound up rebooting the computer and everything is fine now but I've got a few questions.

1.  Why is there a tilt button in an arcade game?  I understand pinball but not Ninja Warriors.

2.  What could have caused my controls to go haywire?  This was just bizarre.

3.  Just how long is Ninja Warriors?  That game seemed to go on forever.
www.simplygriff.com
art : videogames : transformers : life

Live, but Under Heavy Construction

Soulcon

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 15, 2004, 07:15:08 am
  • Goober
Re:WTF?!? Tilt!
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2004, 10:51:42 am »
1. Tilt I think is one of those Hard to emulate in specific games so M.A.M.E. made a hard button for just that instance. So when you accedently tilted it via CP usage it sorta confused your current settings.

2. Since you are most likely using USB when it reset in mid game and wasn't a normal setup option. EX. Tilt for mame. It confused itself and put a tempory wrong coding for codes in the ram version of Ipac you might have. Simply reseting the ground or unplugging the USB controller might have fixed it as well.

3. Most games are 7 to 9 stages long but can be multi stages. I think Ninja Warriors is 7 stages but with certain stages being longer then others or split up into multiple stages. Sorta like Darius where you can sorta spit up or down to go to the next stage but its actually the same stage.

Hope that helps.

-Soul
For a free XBOX, PS2, or Gamecube click Below http://consoles.prizecube.com/?ref=6788

To get a free Personal Video Player go here! http://www.pvps4free.com/default.aspx?r=1848

simplygriff

• Offline Offline
    • simplygriff.com
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2004, 11:03:08 am »
That's probably exactly what happened.  I'm using Playstation to USB adapters.  It did freak me out for a little bit but we ended up just laughing aobut it so I thought I'd share.  Thanks for the info Soulcon.
-G
www.simplygriff.com

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2023, 09:22:35 pm
  • The Bears Still Suck!
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2004, 01:40:16 pm »
1.  Why is there a tilt button in an arcade game?  I understand pinball but not Ninja Warriors.
Same reason it is in pinball, so you don't abuse the machine.

simplygriff

• Offline Offline
    • simplygriff.com
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2004, 01:47:00 pm »
So having a specified button for this is just an effort to preserve the way the machine worked originally.  That's cool I just wish I had known about it.  Any other games that have tilt?  And is the default setting for this always t?  is that a setting I can change in the tab menu under general?
-G
www.simplygriff.com

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2023, 09:51:57 am
  • Arcade Repair in New England
    • Arcade Game and Other Coin-Op Projects
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2004, 05:47:22 pm »
Quite a few games had a tilt sensor.  Really it's not much more than a weighted leaf switch.  A lot of Williams doors had them.  Pretty much a hard blow would connect the two points, and either the controls would lock up, your game would end, or like in your case dump you back to the beginning.

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2023, 09:22:35 pm
  • The Bears Still Suck!
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2004, 08:16:13 pm »
Actually, many of them used the same plumb bob system that pinballs do.  The main reason for this was for some coin doors it was possible to get more credits by slamming the cabinet pretty hard.

fredster

• Grand Prophet of Arcadeology
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 16, 2019, 04:28:53 pm
  • It's all good!
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2004, 05:27:27 pm »
Peale has it right.

If you hit some of the coin doors hard enough, you'd get a credit.  The bounce would flip the switch.  They added these leaf switches to about every original midway game I've seen and some of the williams.

You could also drill a hole in a quarter and put a string on it and just hit that little switch with it over and over and play for free.  Sometime in the early 80's they develped the "cutter" coin mech that would prevent that.

When some of the games are tilted, they just say "game over".

King of the Flying Monkeys from the Dark Side

APFelon

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 08:10:35 pm
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2004, 06:03:38 pm »
Yep... I remember when I was younger playing the original Rampage with 2 complete strangers. We were pretty far along and I put in another quarter. It got stuck.

After a few blows to the coin door with the palm of my hand, I tilted the machine... I ruined the game for two people I didn't know, PLUS I lost my quarter (it cleared the mech and fell into the coin bucket).

Some machines had an alarm, like Asteroids. You pound on that puppy, and it'd beep at you.

APf