Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Cooling fan(s) in cabinets  (Read 1718 times)

swamp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 22, 2011, 05:27:40 pm
  • I'm a llama!
Cooling fan(s) in cabinets
« on: August 22, 2002, 06:59:15 pm »
I am designing and building my first MAME cab. Based on the Tekken cabinet size/shape. I am using 25" TV, standard PC, sub woofer, lighted marquee and satellite speakers. Any experience on whether or not such a cabinet requires an auxiliary cooling fan? Thanks a bunch.

Ryan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 08, 2009, 10:35:06 am
  • I've been Mamed!!
Re:Cooling fan(s) in cabinets
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2002, 07:18:20 pm »
swamp
I have posted a similar post, and everyone suggests it.  The decision is clear now for me to add a fan, I dont want to take any chances.  Besides it does'nt seem to hard or expensive.

Bear Down!

Chris

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 21, 2019, 04:59:49 pm
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2002, 03:34:29 pm »
I used two PC case-style fans, attached them over the original vents, and connected them to a spare power connecter inside the PC.
--Chris
DOSCab/WinCab Jukebox: http://www.dwjukebox.com

nullb0y

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2023, 04:37:32 pm
  • Who wants some?
    • antinull
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2002, 02:51:27 am »
well pc fans would work radi shack sells some big ones but heres an overkill idea if your cab overheats
buy a box fan and cut big holkes in the back o fur cab and mount it so it blows out that should kep a cab from ever overheating lmao!
SUPERKAMEHAMEHAOVERKILL!
Alright. Who wants some? Who's next? Huh? How 'bout it? Who wants some? Huh? Who wants to have a little? You.
  You want some more? Huuuh? You want a little? Do ya? Huh? You want some more? Huh? Huh? Hh!

1UP

• Token Junkie
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 11, 2014, 01:37:18 am
  • Yes, that is a joystick in my pocket.
    • 1UPArcade
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2002, 09:56:52 pm »
I'm using heavy 5" Toyo PC fans over each of the 4 vents in the back door of my cab, two on bottom and two on top.  The bottom fans suck air in thru the lower vents, where it first cools the PC (bolted to the rear door of the cab with no case) then flows up to the monitor before being blown out by the two fans in the top.  May be a little overkill, but there's a lot of hardware in my cab!  ;D

One more thing--get some wire mesh screens to keep dust at a minimum.  They make screens that bolt right to the fan.  If you've got kids around, it'll keep them from sticking their fingers in too.  And they will...  :o
« Last Edit: August 27, 2002, 10:01:17 pm by 1UP »

Free resource for building your own rotating control panels!

My other job...