Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: JOYSTICK Y SPLITER FOR SALE  (Read 2010 times)

nullb0y

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2023, 04:37:32 pm
  • Who wants some?
    • antinull
JOYSTICK Y SPLITER FOR SALE
« on: August 22, 2002, 03:40:20 pm »
I BOUGHT THIS FROM RADIO SHACK IT WORKS FOR 2 4 BUTTON GAME PAD OR JOYSRTICKS I BELIVE I HAD A 6 BUTTON SO I WOUOLDNT DECTECT BOTH IT SHOULD WORK FINE ALMOST BRAND NEW GREAT CONDITION WILL POST PICTURE SOON
Alright. Who wants some? Who's next? Huh? How 'bout it? Who wants some? Huh? Who wants to have a little? You.
  You want some more? Huuuh? You want a little? Do ya? Huh? You want some more? Huh? Huh? Hh!

nullb0y

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2023, 04:37:32 pm
  • Who wants some?
    • antinull
picture
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2002, 03:54:55 pm »
Alright. Who wants some? Who's next? Huh? How 'bout it? Who wants some? Huh? Who wants to have a little? You.
  You want some more? Huuuh? You want a little? Do ya? Huh? You want some more? Huh? Huh? Hh!

Thenasty

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:52:08 pm
    • Thenasty's Arcademania Horizontal/Vertical monitor setup.
Re:JOYSTICK Y SPLITER FOR SALE
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2002, 03:59:38 pm »
I had one of those but I had problem with MAME recognizing both joysticks. Maybe it was my joystick dunno.
Thenasty's Arcademania Horizontal/Vertical setup.
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=26696.0

Free VGA Breakout Cable
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=38228.0

Ultimate All in One Coin Mech write up (Make your own)
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=19200.0

MameFan

• Trade Count: (0)
Re:JOYSTICK Y SPLITER FOR SALE
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2002, 05:20:17 pm »
Joystick splitters generaly do not work with the more advanced sticks that multi-plex signals onto the same pin.

Originally the gameport was designed for (I believe, but could be somewhat incorrect):
2 axis (analog->8 bit digital converted) + 2 buttons...... all x 2 players. (e.g. 8 discrete inputs)

Each axis measures from 0 to 255, therefore "center" is supposed to be 128, and left or up is 0 and right or down is 255 if you're using a "simple" digital stick connected to it.

Each button is only either 0 or 1. (or possibly 0/255 depending on how the protocol works)

So at most, you can have 4 directions + 2 buttons per player.

However there were MANY ways all the different sticks were multi-plexed onto these inputs.  Often times if you had a Digital P1 stick with 4 buttons, the first two of P2 buttons overwrote the 2nd two of P1 buttons (since they were mapped to the same wires) and the other 2 buttons on P2 simply didn't register.

Complicated this by adding buttons and special software, it all gets to be a horrendous problem identifying the inputs correctly.

HAD there been a standard, it's conceivable they could have had at least 36 discrete digital inputs (each bit of each axis byte + 4 buttons) or if the protocol allowed for 0-255 on the button inputs (instead of just 0-1), then as many as 64 discrete inputs total.

However I dont think there was any standard ever made,and now most sticks are switching to USB without all the problems... its just a serial stream of bits arriving (with USB's own ID problems of course--especially with hubs added on).