Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Post all BYOAC, MAME, .984", & 25mm Token Mech modification hints in here.  (Read 59764 times)

Santoro

• Purveyor of Shiny Arcade Goodness
  • Santoro
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 23, 2023, 07:05:04 pm
  • Boycott Quarters!!!
    • ArcadeReplay!
Re: Post all BYOAC & MAME (.984") Token Mech modification hints in here.
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2008, 09:30:06 pm »
Odd.  I'll check it out. Thanks for mentioning it..

Santoro

• Purveyor of Shiny Arcade Goodness
  • Santoro
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 23, 2023, 07:05:04 pm
  • Boycott Quarters!!!
    • ArcadeReplay!
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2008, 09:31:35 pm »
Actually - they load for me. do you have a slow connection?  They are huge files, and that page is not designed properly.  I'll get to fixing that one day.

Boz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2021, 09:24:11 am
    • Battle Chasers Upright Cabinet
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2008, 09:39:41 pm »
Actually - they load for me. do you have a slow connection?  They are huge files, and that page is not designed properly.  I'll get to fixing that one day.

The images load when looking at the page itself, but the larger copies of those images (when you click on each one) is a dead link. They point to "http://www.arcadetokens.com/images/". It's not that big of a deal, though someone might miss the fact that there are bigger images to be seen for detail. Good find though. I thought I had saved this tut and couldn't find it when you posted this. I was nervous for a second there.

Mauzy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 23, 2020, 11:51:27 am
« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2008, 11:23:19 pm »
+1 for TheNasty's mod. Took 30 seconds and everything that will fit through the initial opening works!
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=19200
"Son, all hobbies suck. But if you keep at it, you might find you managed to kill some precious time."

stan2323

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 13, 2023, 06:05:19 pm
  • Major Retired USS Enterprise Commanding
    • My home page
« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2008, 05:27:30 pm »
+2 more for TheNasty's mod. :cheers:  I just did this to a couple and it works great.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=19200.msg153173#msg153173

I think the mod post should be added to this thread so it will be in the sticky.

Stan
Careful what you wish for you may get it!!
There are 10 kind of people in the world those that understand binary and those that do not!!

shardian

• Saint is the evil mastermind
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 21, 2015, 03:11:31 pm
  • Friends don't let friends build frankenpanels...
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2009, 01:06:53 pm »
I came up with an interesting mod the other day for coin controls mechs. I normally use the 'slightly smaller than a quarter' tokens. I believe they are .900. Anyways, these tokens normally fall straight thru Coin Controls mechs. If you notice, the reason it falls thru is because the 'pivot' piece it first falls into is too big. I took a flatblade screwdriver and bent in the little lip thing that swings to the bottom when a coin is in it. Trial and error is necessary to get it working without jamming.

I did this to all the mechs in my gameroom. Works great.

mvsfan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 26, 2016, 08:05:26 pm
Re: Post all BYOAC & MAME (.984") Token Mech hints in here.
« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2009, 05:30:11 pm »
I've got the tan plastic type (coin controls I think). I don't know how you'd go about modding them for tokens, but I'm sure there's a way to do it, right?

Until I figure that out, I could always just have a cup full of quarters on the shelf next to my cab. But then there's the possibility that my friends might "accientally" walk off with them, and Tokens would definately solve that problem. I'd probably want to change the reject button stickers if I switched to tokens though.

Folks are probably more likely to "accidentally" hork your tokens than plain old quarters!

i think your right. aif they could find an arcade with functioning games, these tokens would be worth more than quarters.

unfortunatly the few surviving ones here, their maintenance is just absolutely lousy.

even at a big well established bowling alley with a bar, nightclub, and hundreds of people visiting each week,

nobody at that place has heard of replacing a cherry switch. every game has something wrong with it. I personally feel like going bowling one day with a bag of switches and asking for the manager.

mvsfan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 26, 2016, 08:05:26 pm
« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2009, 05:36:37 pm »
shoot ill do that anyway usually with a small fee though.

theirs plenty of small places around like laundromats and pizzerias that have one or two games their

the owners got them off an auction or something and they dont know jack cause their not really in the business or the hobby know what i mean?

when i happen to one of those i usually let someone know whats wrong and often their very friendly about it.

Sledgehammer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2017, 04:48:08 pm
  • "Trust me, I know what I'm doing..."
« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2009, 06:47:05 pm »
Hi All,

Sorry to update an old post, but I have been investigating how to modify my Suzo Happ coin mechs to accept tokens (currently they accept quarters only) and was able to do it today and wanted to share some info.

All the sites I have come across for Happ coin mechs seem to refer to filing down some plastic to get the .984 tokens to be accepted.

When I was looking at my mechs today, I realized the area where I was to file was metal, not plastic, and it was a bracket being held on by a tiny screw that had some locktite (or something to that effect) applied to it. I had to swing back the piece that is hinged on the mech to get to this screw.

By backing out that screw and sliding the bracket back, I was able to my my mechs take .984 tokens and $.25 quarters.

Forgive me if this is not new info....but I had not seen it posted anywhere else in my couple days of searching.

Below are some pics of what I am talking about:

My coin mech:

The screw in question..just by my finger tip:

I unscrewed it and slid the bracket back until it would let my token pass (this is a shot of where it is now):

Coins and .984 tokens now work 100%:

Hope this helps someone in the future if they are reading this post and looking for help!

Jason

EightBySix

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 25, 2021, 01:50:16 pm
« Reply #49 on: October 20, 2009, 04:45:04 pm »
Could someone post the dimensions of the tokens - I'm considering a DIY coin mech and want it to accept the tokens too.

Thanks

DennisInMN

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 17, 2023, 02:50:53 pm
  • gunga, gunga ga lunga
« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2009, 06:08:08 pm »
The BYOAC tokens are .984", as shown on http://www.arcadereplay.com, they seem to be about the same thickness as a quarter...I have some tokens at work.  :)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 06:11:56 pm by DennisInMN »

Kman-Sweden

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 23, 2015, 07:29:00 am
  • Up the Irons!
« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2010, 12:04:17 pm »
Here's my coin mech adjustments. Originally for Swedish 10 Krona coins.

scept1c

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 15, 2011, 11:21:14 am
« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2010, 02:33:45 am »
has anyone got coin mech modification for 50 jpy?

Donkbaca

• Our reptillian overlords would be pleased
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2012, 06:28:10 pm
    • Slim built MAME/Xbox cab
Re: Post all BYOAC, MAME, .984", & 25mm Token Mech modification hints in here.
« Reply #53 on: September 28, 2010, 05:16:59 pm »
FYI, if anyone has a Asahi Seiko coin mech, all you have to do is move the screw at the top to the back (away from the coin slot) to allow the token to pass, that's it.  The tokens drop straight through no problem.

Superully

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2016, 02:48:27 am
« Reply #54 on: October 31, 2010, 12:47:33 pm »
i've been trying to convert this coin controls mech to accept tokens - unfortunately it's a little bit different from the ones described in another thread. have a look ...

i can remove the "moveable" parts on the left and bend the metal piece as described earlier, but the token simply drops through on the left then. how can i change it so that the coin "moves" to the right where the magnet is and then drops down ?

TheShanMan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2023, 03:35:12 pm
    • My Arcade (updated 1/30/13)
« Reply #55 on: November 01, 2010, 06:09:27 pm »
For quite a while now I've been modding all my mechs by creating a ramp to divert coins away from the reject chute and through the accept chute. I use a hot glue gun to do it. Easy peazy.
My Collection: Mame cab, 38 dedicated vids, pin, skeeball, coin op air hockey table, Ice Cold Beer, Megatouch, 2 token machines, and payphone (VAPS, pics at Arcade Crusade)

Add Ambience to your mame cab setup

Superully

• Offline Offline
« Reply #56 on: November 02, 2010, 08:09:29 am »
For quite a while now I've been modding all my mechs by creating a ramp to divert coins away from the reject chute and through the accept chute. I use a hot glue gun to do it. Easy peazy.

that's what i've been thinking as well: somehow the token has to go from the left to the right! are you simply "squeezing" in hot glue and let it dry? are you removing any other parts from the coin mech?

TheShanMan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #57 on: November 02, 2010, 02:19:23 pm »
I leave the cradle but remove the arm (it still has to get past that initial entry point of course), but you could remove both if you wanted I'm sure. Sometimes it's a little bit tricky on the mechs that don't come apart to get the tip of the gun in there, but it's always been doable.
My Collection: Mame cab, 38 dedicated vids, pin, skeeball, coin op air hockey table, Ice Cold Beer, Megatouch, 2 token machines, and payphone (VAPS, pics at Arcade Crusade)

Superully

• Offline Offline
« Reply #58 on: November 02, 2010, 02:39:55 pm »
and how does your "ramp" look like? could you post a picture of it, please?

TheShanMan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #59 on: November 02, 2010, 06:59:06 pm »
All it is is a straight line of glue long enough to cover the reject chute and with enough of an angle to prevent a coin from getting stuck there, maybe around 15 degrees. You can always pull the glue back out and try again if you don't get it quite right, so give it a try!

WindDrake

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 03, 2020, 09:49:05 pm
  • Electrical Engineer
Here's how I did my coinmechs.

Now my mechs take anything from pennies to big huge tokens.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 05:48:12 pm by WindDrake »

Arcadenut

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 10, 2023, 05:04:47 pm
    • Arcade Restoration Workshop
There is another alternative to buying those mechs and going through the trouble of modifying them.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=111317.0

stan2323

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 13, 2023, 06:05:19 pm
  • Major Retired USS Enterprise Commanding
    • My home page
« Reply #62 on: July 02, 2011, 10:37:13 pm »
+2 more for a total of 4 for the TheNasty's mod.

+2 more for TheNasty's mod. :cheers:  I just did this to a couple and it works great.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=19200.msg153173#msg153173

I think the mod post should be added to this thread so it will be in the sticky.

Stan
Careful what you wish for you may get it!!
There are 10 kind of people in the world those that understand binary and those that do not!!

migraineman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 01, 2016, 02:56:35 pm
Picked up an older cabinet with metal coin mechs.  I wanted the kiddies to "feed the beast" rather than be on free-play ... it's part of the experience, after all.

I removed the lower cover, then the thin spacer (on a second mech, this spacer is more substantial, but the method still works.)  From a scrap of 1/8" aluminum, I made a ramp that redirects tokens to the "acceptable" outfeed slot.  Dimensions aren't critical - just clear the little floppy tab between the two outfeeds.  Put everything back together, using a 6-32x1/2 screw to secure the ramp in place.  Works like a charm, and is completely reversible should you decide to revert to normal operation.  On one mech, I did have to reduce the thickness of the ramp with a file, but that was really minor.  Slightly thinner aluminum (2.5mm or 0.093") would probably work, too.

Note - this only works with quarter-sized tokens.  Pennies, nickels and dimes follow a different reject path, and will continue to be rejected.  Also, make sure your tokens will fit into the infeed slot - some of my mechs trap the tokens right at the ingress point, and they'll be rejected when you hit the reject button.  However, if the tokens drop all the way through, this is a mostly-painless method of getting them to work.

BigCurtis

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 18, 2018, 05:11:38 pm
  • Life is Game.
    • Angry Cat Entertainment
If you have $8 to spare, and don't want to mod any coin mechs (has to effect resale, yeah?), give one of these a go...

https://www.arcadeplastics.com/any-coin-v2

Even though I just shared this in another thread, want to be clear that I'm not involved, just think they're great.