Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Hands on review of 1UP's PacMamea  (Read 8046 times)

Pixelhugger

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 01:36:14 am
Hands on review of 1UP's PacMamea
« on: July 21, 2004, 03:36:58 pm »
Hope 1UP's okay with me posting this  ;) but I just couldn't resist.

I had a chance to play on 1UP's PacMamea cab last saturday and just wanted to share the joy.

For those who may have wondered how this masterpiece of BYOAC inspired engineering stands up to a real world evaluation I have to say beyond imagination!

Everything about this cabinet feels like a production game. The panel itself is absolutely rock solid when in place. Rotation is fluid and dead on... it's really cool to watch. 1 UP's attention to engineering detail is astounding and a perfect example of meeting complex challenges with ingenious solutions.

The cabinet itself is finished off better than an original PacMan machine IMO. The thing is as solid as any piece of furniture I have at home and must weigh about as much.

The 4-way J-stick 1UP has is an absolute joy (no pun intended) to use.

It's the first mame cab I've actually played on and it's hard to imagine any cab being done any better. Everything I had hoped it would be and far more.

So to those wondering how well the rotating design can be implemented... IMO following 1UP's design the answer is...  perfectly.  :)
Project mega thread HERE

Pilot143

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 05, 2013, 03:40:55 pm
    • Homepage...
Re:Hands on review of 1UP's PacMamea
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2004, 06:34:39 pm »
Is this the original cab?  or the new kit that everyone (atleast me?) is waiting for?

Pixelhugger

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 01:36:14 am
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2004, 06:41:28 pm »
The original. And I beleive he's planning on improvements for the kit. He strikes me as a perfectionist.

EDIT: and judging from what I've seen of the orig that wait will be WELL worth it.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2004, 06:42:39 pm by Pixelhugger »
Project mega thread HERE

1UP

• Token Junkie
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 11, 2014, 01:37:18 am
  • Yes, that is a joystick in my pocket.
    • 1UPArcade
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2004, 07:10:28 pm »
Thanks for the plug!   ;)  What Pixelhugger didn't mention is that he helped me load the machine on and off a truck over the weekend.  I think he can attest to how I manhandled the thing, but it's more than sturdy enough to take it...I know just how solid (and heavy!) it is after moving it by myself the first time, almost dumping it off the ramp at one point...  :o

Work on the kits continues, although slowly.  I'm actually in the process of getting a loan to take care of the startup costs, and to allow me to take a couple weeks off work to take care of manufacturing and legal stuff.  It's amazing how much is involved in starting a small business!

Free resource for building your own rotating control panels!

My other job...

Patent Doc

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2021, 12:07:33 pm
  • My wife says I'm the fastest man alive :(
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2004, 09:21:36 pm »
1UP  
Love your design (both construction and artwork)...you really inspired me.  I hope mine looks half as good as yours when I'm done (er..start).  Of course that would also mean I stop planning and start building.  But as you are quick to point out on your site sometimes we dream of things and man are those ideas just stupid or at the very least impracticle.  Anyway, as one in the Intellectual Property field... please ..please copyright your plans, seak a design patent (to the extent you can) on every aspect of your cab, and pursue patent protection for all that you have innovated.  You may be too late for some things, but you may be surprised.  The thing is you must do this soon... If you want to protect your burgeoning business.  Please note I am not trying to solicit your business...I don't know anything about mechanical patents, but I'd be happy to help with all the free advice you want.  First piece of advice, get a patent agent or attorney (apart from you bill there is virtually no difference between the two as far as the USPTO is concerned) and talk about what protection you can get.

Gamecab

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2008, 05:34:27 pm
  • Flight Yokes - 9/10/05
    • GameCab
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2004, 10:16:26 pm »
I have to throw in a plug for 1UP as well.

I built a 1UP cab for myself in October of last year and followed the instructions from his website to the letter.  1UP's instructions and design are great and the cabinet is a real solid build.  The Cab has been in my game room since then and I play it often.
Recently I had a chance to show it off to a bunch of friends after a huge paintball game.  All were at my house for the after paintball BBQ and I decided to bring everyone down to the game room.  Needless to say they were all quite impressed by the design of the cabinet and the games it could play.  It was at that moment I decided to drop the bomb on them.....   I opened the door and rotated the control panel to expose the second CP,  All were in awe!!!  I do not think anyone expected to see a different set of controls rotate up.

The Cabinet design and idea is just fantastic!!!!

Charlie
The Flight Yoke Release date is September 10, 2005.

Lilwolf

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2022, 10:26:34 pm
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2004, 12:01:09 pm »
I get sad when I didn't keep the plans... because I wasnt' going to do anything with it for a few months / more... Then next time I looked they where gone...

I love the design..  And I still think it would allow me to finally finish a cab and have it in the family area (right now, mine is always hidden from my wifes friends)

HOPEFULLY I can make enought money to buy one when the kits are done....

1UP..  How about creating a thread about what your expecting to sell in the finished / kit form?

Are you selling templates without wood?
Wood + sideart + extras?
Everything including monitor and computer?

Also, let me know if you want a Ohio rep... but I would need to have a sample first to make sure that it...uh... meets my expectations :)