Main > Project Announcements

Started on my CP today :)

(1/3) > >>

Bursar:
Took a trip to the local DIY shop and bought a whole load of goodies, and a couple of new power tools as well :D

I've cut the top of my CP from chipboard (I know it's not great, but it's cheap, and I'm just prototyping it at the mo) and have stuck on the templates for the 4 player controls. I couldn't get a 1 1/8" hole saw (bloody UK and their metric measurements) so I have a 25mm and 32mm drill bit. I have a feeling the 25mm will be too small, and although the the 32mm bit will be too big, I'm hoping things will still fit OK. I've cut a couple of test holes in an off-cut and will try them when my sticks and buttons arrive. If they don't then I'm off shopping again for the right size hole saw :(

It's not worth showing any pics at this stage, as all I have is a lump of chipboard cut to a few angles and some paper templates taped on.

As soon as I make a bit more progress, I'll share it with you :)

Bursar:
I made a temporary base for the control panel to rest on tonight. My I-PAC is winging its way to me as I type, and hopefully my buttons won't be too long in arriving either.

Then the real fun can begin :D

Daredevil666:
I used 25mm bit and mashed it around for a bit... not massively neat but if you take it slow and careful it will come out fine! The buttons fit well.

Bursar:
Thanks, that's good to know. I'll see what happens when the bits gets here. I should be buying a router in a day or two, so I can always use that to make the holes slightly larger if need be.

Ya know, this cabinet making lark is a great excuse to go and buy power tools :)

Since starting it I've bought a circular saw, power sander, and soon a router. Along with the other bits I bought, I'll soon have a tool box big enough to rival even the keenest DIY-er! :D

Daredevil666:
How are you going to paint/decorate your CP? I was going to use a design printed onto 2xA3 pieces of paper under sheet acrylic strip-heated to the curved shape of my panel.

Only one prob... cant find a strip heater anywhere ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version