Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: DOSCab/WinCab Jukebox 3.0 Beta 1 Released  (Read 33346 times)

Silver

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 17, 2024, 10:29:00 am
  • Cunning like the Fox.
    • Mods'n'Mods
Re:DOSCab/WinCab Jukebox 3.0 Beta 1 Released
« Reply #80 on: November 20, 2004, 01:18:13 pm »
ouch! bad news! Hope you are able to recover what you need/backups etc..... I HATE it when that happens......

Good Luck!

Chris

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 21, 2019, 04:59:49 pm
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #81 on: November 20, 2004, 02:31:39 pm »
Thank goodness for thumb drives... I happen to have the source on my thumb drive... I lost a bunch of other projects, though...
--Chris
DOSCab/WinCab Jukebox: http://www.dwjukebox.com

johnman001

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 01, 2004, 11:03:47 pm
  • Do you wnt to play a game?
« Reply #82 on: November 20, 2004, 02:59:13 pm »
Sorry to hear of your hard drive crash.

I ran into a new problem (to me at least) and I am wondering if anyone hs any suggestions.

I had been working with DOSCab and had been logging errors (to try to weed out all my "bad" MP3 files).  I thought I was fairly successful as it would run without crashing for more than 24 hours....

Then this morning I went to load it up and it won't play any songs at all.  I tried:

Rebooting
Re-installing WinCAB/DOSCab (deleted the entire directory and recopied)
Booting in DOS

All without success.

I tried WinCAB and it works as it always has.  (I still have the problem with my volume up/down keys which is why I had been using DOSCab).

DOSCab loads all the songs up and displays the tags and even selects the song and displays like it is about to start, but the timer stays at 0:00 indefinately.

If anyone could offer something to try, I would greatly appreciate it.

garyh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 26, 2011, 02:30:17 am
  • If God rides a Harley then the devil rides an LC.
« Reply #83 on: November 20, 2004, 04:05:41 pm »
DOSCab loads all the songs up and displays the tags and even selects the song and displays like it is about to start, but the timer stays at 0:00 indefinately.

The only time I have had this was when my soundcard wasn't setup correctly. Might be a pointer . . . .

Gary

RacerX

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 17, 2022, 12:06:34 pm
  • Longtime member, sometime poster.
« Reply #84 on: November 20, 2004, 10:41:57 pm »
Yep.  That's a sound driver issue.  I had the same problem until I installed the correct DOS drivers.

johnman001

• Offline Offline
« Reply #85 on: November 20, 2004, 11:35:43 pm »
If it is a sound card issue, then what could have happened between last night when it worked with the existing drivers and this morning when nobody used the computer.....

It's a simple AWE64 soundblaster card, so it should be a no-brainer....

johnman001

• Offline Offline
« Reply #86 on: November 21, 2004, 05:41:28 pm »
After taking your advice and attempting to change my sound card configuration over and over and over and over with no luck, I was going to attempt more troubleshooting so I attached a standard mouse to the PS/2 port so it would be easier to work with (rather than the trackballs on the control panels), DOSCab now plays.

The trackballs on my cocktail cabinet are oddball devices (they are serial devices with PS/2 adapters that are plugged into USB/PS2 adapters).  I am doing this so that under Win98, I can have player 1 and player 2 have seperate trackballs in 2 player games.

I only use the PS/2 mouse when troubleshooting or setup (I have a plug under one of the control panels that lets me plug a mouse and a keyboard in when required).

Now that I can duplicate the issue I am having, is there any way for DOSCab to work without having a mouse plugged in?  I am assuming that the program is somehow looking for a mouse just prior to playing a song for some reason......

In a nutshell, it was not a sound card setup issue, but a lack of a PS/2 mouse issue.

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #87 on: November 21, 2004, 08:31:29 pm »
After taking your advice and attempting to change my sound card configuration over and over and over and over with no luck, I was going to attempt more troubleshooting so I attached a standard mouse to the PS/2 port so it would be easier to work with (rather than the trackballs on the control panels), DOSCab now plays.

<...>

Now that I can duplicate the issue I am having, is there any way for DOSCab to work without having a mouse plugged in?
My DOS test machine does not have any mouse drivers loaded.  If you have mouse=DISABLED in the jukebox.ini, the mouse should never be checked at all.

Is it possible that the presence of the mouse is changing the IRQ on which your sound card appears due to Plug and Play?  If there is a SET BLASTER line in your autoexec.bat, try REM'ing it out.... it may not have the correct info, and if it is not present the jukebox will attempt to autodetect the IRQ.

--Chris, still without his main PC
--Chris

garyh

• Offline Offline
Re: DOSCab/WinCab Jukebox 3.0 Beta 1 Released
« Reply #88 on: November 23, 2004, 03:51:58 pm »
Chris,

Sorry to hear about your hard disk crash, hope the rebuild is coming along okay.

You sent me a test version of WinCab to try with my touchscreen and I sent back a a reply but it may have gone down with your disk. Just to let you know that it didn't work. The cursor appears but touching the screen has no effect at all. The cursor doesn't move and "double clicking" has no effect. I am using 3M MicroTouch drivers and the touchscreen works fine with all other Windows apps.

I noticed that the file sizes of the .exe and .dll files you sent are exactly the same as the 3.0B4 versions, and the debug log header states it is 3.0B4 - is this what you would expect for the touchscreen test version?

Do you know what hardware / software the other touchscreen testers are using?

Best regards

Gary

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #89 on: November 23, 2004, 04:01:24 pm »
The DLL is the most important change.  The correct version should have a Halloween date on the DLL file.  Make sure you don't have any other alleg41.dll's running around anywhere.

--Chris
--Chris

johnman001

• Offline Offline
« Reply #90 on: November 23, 2004, 11:58:35 pm »
My jukebox.ini does have mouse = disabled.

Well, I don't have any mouse drivers being installed in either autoexec.bat or in config.sys.  I do have the set blaster= in autoexec.bat.

Just for grins, I rem'ed out the set blaster out of the autoexec.bat, and unplugged the PS/2 mouse.....  -> DOSCab hangs just prior to playing....

I un rem'ed out the set blaster in autoexec.bat (PS/2 mouse unplugged).
DOSCab hangs just prior to playing...

I rem'ed out set blaster, plugged in PS/2 mouse DOSCab plays....

I un-rem'ed set blaster, plugged in PS/2 mouse DOSCab plays....

I run DOSCab through WIN98 (in case that matters)....

I still think that the mouse must somehow be polled just prior to playing (even with mouse = disabled).

garyh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #91 on: November 24, 2004, 04:47:35 am »
Chris, yes I have the halloween files and no other instances. Happy to try anything to help resolve the touchscreen issue once you are back to full spec.

Thanks as always for a great program and the time you devote to it.

Regards

Gary

Silver

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Cunning like the Fox.
    • Mods'n'Mods
« Reply #92 on: November 25, 2004, 08:02:43 am »
Hi,

I've been trying out my small lilliput touchscreen too. Works fine in windows+apps but will not work in Wincab. You can sometimes see the cursor (I have it on visible) appearing at random places over the screen when you touch, but it has never "hit" a song/button.

I've set Wincab to use same screen (800x600) and res (75Hz) as my desktop but no help.

This is just the regular --BINGO! Either that, or I was attempting to say "before" but it was too many letters to type-- from your website. Happy to test anything else - I'd love to get this working - and can do DOS touchscreen testing if you need.

PS Er... realise you're probably busy what with a hard drive crash and all but wondered if you had made any progress enabling streaming within Wincab/doscab? (I'm the guy with wireless so it has to download an entire song before it will start playing...)

Cheers and good luck!

simian

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 08, 2005, 01:57:46 am
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #93 on: November 25, 2004, 07:58:41 pm »
Hi! Does anyone know how to clear current selection,adjust volume and how to change the highlight bar in doscab/wincab beta 4? Please help me.

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #94 on: November 26, 2004, 10:43:17 pm »
Hi! Does anyone know how to clear current selection,adjust volume and how to change the highlight bar in doscab/wincab beta 4? Please help me.
You can change the controls in controls.ini.  To clear the last key entered, map a key to BTN_BACKSPACE.  To clear the entire entry, map a key to BTN_CLEAR.  To clear the currently playing song and go to the next song in the queue, map a key to BTN_SKIP.

There are no volume control buttons yet; I'll add it to beta 5.

For highlight bar, do you mean the dotted line showing focus when navigating via the joystick or mouse?  The focus line for the song labels always uses the font color.  The focus lines for the other buttons are set in the button definition as FocusColor.  The thickness of these lines is set based on the resolution and is not ajustable.  If you mean something else by highlight bar, let me know...

--Chris
--Chris

simian

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 08, 2005, 01:57:46 am
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #95 on: November 27, 2004, 05:26:53 am »
yep I get it now. sorry for the redundant posting tho, I tend to forget my other posts. thanks.

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #96 on: December 01, 2004, 02:56:00 am »
There are no volume control buttons yet; I'll add it to beta 5.
Okay, I've got my PC back to where it can compile, and I've laid in the volume functions.  You can map keys to volume up, volume down, volume minimum, volume maximum, and mute, which toggles between the current volume and the minimum volume.  The mute state can be detected by an icon so you can have visual confirmation of mute in a skin.

In the INI file, you can set the initial volume, the increment by which volume changes, and whether to adjust volume for the entire system or just for the jukebox application.

I need to do some more work on b5 before releasing it, but the volume controls will be there when it is.

--Chris
--Chris

garyh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #97 on: December 01, 2004, 03:19:09 pm »
Glad to hear you are rebuilt Chris, but now you are just teasing us  :)

All the best

Gary

Silver

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Cunning like the Fox.
    • Mods'n'Mods
« Reply #98 on: December 01, 2004, 09:46:41 pm »
Yes that is good news.

Did you need anymore specific info/testing for touchscreen? I posted earlier that mine won't work either.

Are you still looking for DOS touchscreen testing? I can do that too if it would help.

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #99 on: December 01, 2004, 10:22:39 pm »
Did you need anymore specific info/testing for touchscreen? I posted earlier that mine won't work either.
I really just need to break down and buy a touchscreen.  Unfortunately, since my revenue from this project is $0.00, my research and development budget is also about $0.00... the last fixes made the jukebox work with my lightgun, which I assumed would work in a similar fashion to a touchscreen, but I guess not.
Are you still looking for DOS touchscreen testing? I can do that too if it would help.
DOS may already work.  Try adding the following to jukebox.ini:

[mouse]
mouse = I33

Then run with the touchscreen.  Of course, your DOS touchscreen mouse driver needs to be loaded in your AUTOEXEC.BAT first...

I'm working on the random crash bug now.  I've rewritten the memory allocator and I have high hopes that will solve the problem.  Unfortunately, I can't prove that I've fixed the problem, only that I haven't...

--Chris
--Chris

Dermbrian

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 19, 2024, 05:05:16 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #100 on: December 01, 2004, 10:40:18 pm »

I'm working on the random crash bug now.  I've rewritten the memory allocator and I have high hopes that will solve the problem.  Unfortunately, I can't prove that I've fixed the problem, only that I haven't...

--Chris

Chris, I had sent you a couple of mp3's that *always* die at the end, knocking out WinCab and returning to Windows.  WindowsME in my case.

I just unzipped one of those offending mp3's and it still does it with your latest build.  Same mp3 runs fine in WinAMP and in SalmonKing's new jukebox. 

Hopefully that mp3 would be a good indicator of the 'random' crash bug having been fixed.  I know the behavior can be random but the same abort happens with specific files that work with other players.  I'd love to try any next build you do!  I seem to have the problem worse than anyone.

Brian

johnman001

• Offline Offline
« Reply #101 on: December 01, 2004, 11:04:15 pm »
Dermbrian,

I seem to be able to fix my "bad" mp3 files.  I took all my "bad" mp3 files and sent them into a "bad" directory and opened each of them up in sonic foundry.  The only thing that I did with the files once in sonic foundry was to strip a fraction of a second from the end of each of the files and re-saved the files as mp3.

I have a feeling that the problem may have something to do with "variable" bitrates.  I may be wrong about this, but it is my only theory so far....

I only had a dozen or so "bad" mp3 files.  I think it has to do with how the mp3 files were created in the first place.  None of the ones I personally made were "bad".

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #102 on: December 01, 2004, 11:12:57 pm »
Chris, I had sent you a couple of mp3's that *always* die at the end, knocking out WinCab and returning to Windows.
--Chris

Dermbrian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #103 on: December 01, 2004, 11:15:31 pm »

I only had a dozen or so "bad" mp3 files.  I think it has to do with how the mp3 files were created in the first place.  None of the ones I personally made were "bad".

Johnman, all of my mp3's are personally made from my collection of LP's.  You may be correct about the variable bit rate contributing to the problem to some degree.  I had a collection that I had encoded at a straight 128kbps and letting those randomly play didn't result in any random closing of the program.

If I do re-encode one of the problem files, it will generally be OK.  But I'm pretty sure there's nothing really 'wrong' with them in the first place.   I'm taking the time to use the '-extreme' setting of LAME to encode my files at a high variable bit rate, so I'd rather not dumb them down.  I'm of the 'every little bit help's' mentality when it comes to mp3 quality.  Lower bit rates kind of give me a headache after a while.

One other behavior that I've had win DosCAB (and I think with WinCAB) is that if I let it play for a very long time (1 hour or longer) then the mp3's begin to sound very rough.

It's a wonderful program with a super interface, and was really what I was looking for in terms of pulling up a random selection of my lp tracks.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Chris can fix this issue that is minor to most but kills mine within 5-10 songs on random play almost every time.

Chris, I'll send you the short one that dies.  1 1/2 minute song.

Brian

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #104 on: December 01, 2004, 11:18:10 pm »
I have a feeling that the problem may have something to do with "variable" bitrates.
--Chris

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #105 on: December 01, 2004, 11:22:53 pm »
You may be correct about the variable bit rate contributing to the problem to some degree.
--Chris

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #106 on: December 01, 2004, 11:28:20 pm »
Chris, I'll send you the short one that dies.
--Chris

Dermbrian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #107 on: December 01, 2004, 11:36:04 pm »
Chris, I'll send you the short one that dies.  1 1/2 minute song.
This does not die in my latest build.

Now that sounds promising, especially if you find that it does fail on your setup with a previous build.  I take it to mean it doesn't fail with you new, unreleased build., right?

Goodnight and good luck.  Let me know if I can help test your newer version.  I work at home and can let this run all day one desk over.

Brian

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #108 on: December 01, 2004, 11:38:07 pm »
--Chris

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #109 on: December 01, 2004, 11:43:30 pm »
Now that sounds promising, especially if you find that it does fail on your setup with a previous build.
--Chris

Dermbrian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #110 on: December 01, 2004, 11:44:58 pm »
Goodnight and good luck.  Let me know if I can help test your newer version.  I work at home and can let this run all day one desk over.

A cautious huzzah...hopefully a louder hoorah tomorrow.

Brian
It's already in your mailbox.

I got it, installed it, and tried the 'offending' mp3.  It played it and did not bomb out to windows at the end.   

I really think you probably found a way for your program to tolerate whatever it was that it didn't like! 

Like I said, I can let WinCAB run much of tomorrow and I'll let you know how it works out. 

Thanks!

Brian

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #111 on: December 02, 2004, 12:14:03 am »
Okay, I've uploaded the latest for everyone with random crashes to try.  This version also includes the possible touchscreen fix I've sent out to certain beta testers.  (I'll post this info in a new thread as well.)

See http://webpages.charter.net/celamantia/jukebox for the latest.

--Chris
--Chris

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #112 on: December 03, 2004, 10:09:34 am »
wondered if you had made any progress enabling streaming within Wincab/doscab? (I'm the guy with wireless so it has to download an entire song before it will start playing...)
Streaming looks like it's not going to be easy to add... I need to rework some things to get it in.  I'm not saying I'm not going to do it, but since it's not an easy thing I'm going to need to pick off some higher priority things.

I'm so glad I made that tape backup!  I wasn't too worried through the crash because I knew that all the source files were on my flash drive.  Well, I plugged my flash drive in today to discover that it's dead.   :o
--Chris

Silver

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Cunning like the Fox.
    • Mods'n'Mods
« Reply #113 on: December 04, 2004, 10:04:18 pm »
Streaming looks like it's not going to be easy to add... I need to rework some things to get it in.  I'm not saying I'm not going to do it, but since it's not an easy thing I'm going to need to pick off some higher priority things.

No problem - I'm sure its a very low request so stick it at the bottom of the 'to do' pile... I'm currently leaning to sticking a large HD in my mini-box so I can add addition tunes via wireless if/when its available. Now that touchscreen is working I've got no excuses not to build it ;-)

Well, I plugged my flash drive in today to discover that it's dead.   :o

Ouch again! you have had bad luck! Glad your all backed up anyway, but that can't be normal. You break any mirrors recently....?

Speaking of priorities, are you still thinking of added some kind of genre/area selector? That would come in REAL handy....

Cheers

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #114 on: December 14, 2004, 05:04:59 pm »
Streaming looks like it's not going to be easy to add... I need to rework some things to get it in.
--Chris

sWampy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 02, 2010, 04:23:40 pm
« Reply #115 on: December 21, 2004, 09:33:33 am »
The default skin will use the "standard" genre color-coding:
- Green was for Country or Country and Western
- Blue was for Blues or Rhythm and Blues or Soul
- Lavender was for Oldies
- Red lines on a white background were for miscellaneous or for the
unprinted blanks that the operators filled in by hand
- Red/pink was for Pop.

I also was toying with the idea of randomly having a handful of labels set in Courier no matter what the font is set for; it seems like on every jukebox there were one or two hand-typed labels.  But I decided not to do this since a DOS system isn't going to have Courier and I can't include it in the distribution.  This is a good time to note that the fonts in the distribution come from Ray Larabie of Larabie Fonts (http://www.larabiefonts.com/), who has generously made them available for free redistribution.  He has many other fonts available, some for free and some full font families for purchase.  The font I'm using us Blue Highway, which Ray designed to match the font used on highway signs.  The real font used on old jukeboxes was usually Futura, but I can't distribute that, and Blue Highway is close.

--Chris

Awesome juke box, any progress made on labels by genra/age, It would really make it pop to be able to highlight xmas songs this time of year. ;-)  Oh, and do you disable the screensaver when running?   It never seems to kick in while the jukebox is running.   I'd like to make your jukebox the screen saver for my front end.  It would be nice if I could have jukebox kick in as a screensaver in radio mode at some preset lower than full volume, and after a set number of minutes go to a black screen for powersavings till a button is hit. 
« Last Edit: December 21, 2004, 09:43:17 am by sWampy »

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #116 on: December 21, 2004, 09:41:44 am »
Awesome juke box, any progress made on labels by genra/age, It would really make it pop to be able to highlight xmas songs this time of year. ;-)
Unfortunately, I have had almost no free time since Thanksgiving.  I wish I had though of the Christmas issue earlier, though.  Let me plow into this tonight and see if I can crank out genre labelling.  It should theoretically be easy...
--Chris

sWampy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 02, 2010, 04:23:40 pm
« Reply #117 on: December 21, 2004, 09:44:38 am »
Awesome juke box, any progress made on labels by genra/age, It would really make it pop to be able to highlight xmas songs this time of year. ;-)
Unfortunately, I have had almost no free time since Thanksgiving.  I wish I had though of the Christmas issue earlier, though.  Let me plow into this tonight and see if I can crank out genre labelling.  It should theoretically be easy...

Man to quick on the reply, I had thought of another question.

Oh, and do you disable the screensaver when running?   It never seems to kick in while the jukebox is running.   I'd like to make your jukebox the screen saver for my front end.  It would be nice if I could have jukebox kick in as a screensaver in radio mode at some preset lower than full volume, and after a set number of minutes go to a black screen for powersavings till a button is hit.

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #118 on: January 12, 2005, 12:25:39 am »
Oh, and do you disable the screensaver when running?
--Chris

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #119 on: January 13, 2005, 03:47:03 pm »
--Chris