Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: DOSCab/WinCab Jukebox 3.0 Beta 1 Released  (Read 33336 times)

Chris

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 21, 2019, 04:59:49 pm
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
Re:DOSCab/WinCab Jukebox 3.0 Beta 1 Released
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2004, 01:39:28 am »
Hi Chris,

I have been playing around a bit with the skins and I have found a small problem. There seems to be a white '0' on a black background in the very top corner of every skin. Note: this is not part of the skin, but displayed on top of the skin. See attach image below.
Yeah, this was a debug value I forgot to remove.  I'll put up a fix tonight.
Okay, the fixed version is up.  The HighLetter bug Froggerman mentioned is also fixed.

One important note: For those using the 4ButtonPanel option in JUKEBOX.INI, it has been changed to AlphaToggle, since panels are no longer restricted to 4 buttons. This option allows the same set of buttons (mapped in CONTROLS.INI to the letters) to toggle between entering letters and numbers automatically for use on panels with a limited number of buttons.

I know these tiny differences hardly merit a new build, but the 0 in the corner is really annoying in low resolutions.

--Chris
--Chris
DOSCab/WinCab Jukebox: http://www.dwjukebox.com

Silver

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 17, 2024, 10:29:00 am
  • Cunning like the Fox.
    • Mods'n'Mods
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2004, 02:58:33 am »
Speaking of bugs - and note I have not tried this new bugfix version yet - I noticed last night that when inputing codes on my keyboard all the letters were fine, but any number above 4 could only be entered on the Keypad not on the top row of numbers..... It could possibly have been something weird in my pc so i will give it another shot tonight and let you know.... Unless I'm just being really thick or imagining things.....

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2004, 08:14:58 am »
Speaking of bugs - and note I have not tried this new bugfix version yet - I noticed last night that when inputing codes on my keyboard all the letters were fine, but any number above 4 could only be entered on the Keypad not on the top row of numbers..... It could possibly have been something weird in my pc so i will give it another shot tonight and let you know.... Unless I'm just being really thick or imagining things.....
That's due to the default keyboard mapping.  In a nutshell, 5 and 6 are mapped to coin entries as they are in MAME, so the numbers across the top stop at 4. See controls.ini and edit to taste.  

--Chris
--Chris

Silver

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Cunning like the Fox.
    • Mods'n'Mods
« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2004, 08:39:54 am »
Thank you.
I am a muppet..... ::)

garyh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 26, 2011, 02:30:17 am
  • If God rides a Harley then the devil rides an LC.
« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2004, 01:50:47 pm »
Hi Chris,

Can you tell me what algorithms you use for selecting tracks in radio play mode? The reason for asking is that I have offered to provide the music at a Queen Fancy Dress party in a couple of weeks and the hosts want a mix of Queen and non-Queen tracks. The problem is that in radio play mode it seems to be playing many more non-Queen tracks than Queen tracks.

Best regards,

Gary

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2004, 01:57:44 pm »
Can you tell me what algorithms you use for selecting tracks in radio play mode? The reason for asking is that I have offered to provide the music at a Queen Fancy Dress party in a couple of weeks and the hosts want a mix of Queen and non-Queen tracks. The problem is that in radio play mode it seems to be playing many more non-Queen tracks than Queen tracks.

Radio mode just picks a random song, although if you have more than 40 songs in the jukebox it will not pick any of the last 20 songs played.  I can do a quick hack for you to make it pick Queen songs more often, if that'll help...

--Chris
--Chris

garyh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2004, 02:24:13 pm »
Chris,

Thanks for the reply. No need for a hack, I was probably just "unlucky" with the random selection and assumed it might be trying to space out selections by artists.

IMO it might be better to have no repeat (until it has played them all) if it finds less than 20 songs though.

Best regards

Gary

froggerman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2015, 03:23:14 am
  • You want how many buttons?!
« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2004, 09:47:52 pm »
Hi Chris, I have been working away on my skin and I will have something to show you a bit later. Then I had this evil thought. Having a real juke box downstairs I know some of the strange things that they do, so I checked your program to see if you had thought of this one. Select a song, select a second song, now select the second song again. What should happen is that your credit should go down by one but the song should not appear on the Coming Up list. I know that is a little quirky but I thought I would mention it to you. Of course, I am talking about mechanical juke boxes not the newer electronic ones.

I have been thinking about your idea of having random labels come up in Courier font. I really like this idea. I bounced this idea off a few friends of mine and they all thought is was great as we didn't see as many preprinted labels here, at least where I grew up you didin't.

Anyway I should download your new version and test away.   :)

froggerman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2004, 10:32:36 pm »
Hi Chris, Could you check something in the new Beta 4? When I type the G key I sometimes get a 7 and when I type the H key I somes get an 8. For example if I type FG the selection F7 is played.

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #49 on: September 30, 2004, 11:13:14 pm »
Hi Chris, Could you check something in the new Beta 4? When I type the G key I sometimes get a 7 and when I type the H key I somes get an 8. For example if I type FG the selection F7 is played.
Do you have AlphaToggle set to True?
--Chris

froggerman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #50 on: September 30, 2004, 11:23:49 pm »
Do you have AlphaToggle set to True?
Not any more!   ;)

RacerX

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 17, 2022, 12:06:34 pm
  • Longtime member, sometime poster.
« Reply #51 on: October 01, 2004, 10:45:43 am »
I have a suggestion, Chris.  I am a bit worried about screen burn-in over the long hall with the jukeboxes I am building.  This is certainly not a huge concern, but perhaps a future release would allow you to have a set of skins available and a random one would be selected each time you start up the program.  That way you don't always have the same thing on screen every time you start the program, and screen burn-in could be reduced.

I can accomplish this right now by having a batch file copy a randomly selected skin to be my default skin before executing doscab.exe so it can certainly wait.

But I thought it might be a cool feature somewhere down the line.

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #52 on: October 01, 2004, 10:55:37 am »
I have a suggestion, Chris.  I am a bit worried about screen burn-in over the long hall with the jukeboxes I am building.  This is certainly not a huge concern, but perhaps a future release would allow you to have a set of skins available and a random one would be selected each time you start up the program.  That way you don't always have the same thing on screen every time you start the program, and screen burn-in could be reduced.

I can accomplish this right now by having a batch file copy a randomly selected skin to be my default skin before executing doscab.exe so it can certainly wait.

But I thought it might be a cool feature somewhere down the line.
The final version of 3.0 will have a screensaver of some sort.  Random skin selection would be doable, it's certainly easy enough... I had random label selection in the earlier version, though, and people didn't seem to like it.
--Chris

RacerX

• Offline Offline
« Reply #53 on: October 01, 2004, 11:05:09 am »
Oh, yeah, it would definitely need to only be optional.  And I can do it myself with batch files anyway.  Just a suggestion.

froggerman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #54 on: October 03, 2004, 02:23:50 am »
I have been playing around a bit more and I think I may have found a bug. I wanted to use all of the numbers, 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 and 0. I have not been able to find a setting that will allow me to use the 0. If I set the Highnumber=0 then I can only use buttons 1-4. If I set the Highnumber=9 then I can only use buttons 1-9. If I set the Highnumber=10 then I can only use buttons 1-9. Any ideas how I can use the 0 as well?

RacerX

• Offline Offline
« Reply #55 on: October 03, 2004, 05:29:42 pm »
I have been playing around a bit more and I think I may have found a bug. I wanted to use all of the numbers, 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 and 0. I have not been able to find a setting that will allow me to use the 0. If I set the Highnumber=0 then I can only use buttons 1-4. If I set the Highnumber=9 then I can only use buttons 1-9. If I set the Highnumber=10 then I can only use buttons 1-9. Any ideas how I can use the 0 as well?

You have to set UseZero=True in the following section of your skin ini file.

[Selection]

# SelectionMethod: Alphanumeric,Numeric,SingleLetter,SingleNumber
SelectionMethod=Alphanumeric
UseZero=True
HighLetter=D
HighNumber=4
DiscAddress=Relative

froggerman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #56 on: October 03, 2004, 06:37:41 pm »
Thanks for the pointer. I hadn't seen that option. Works like a charm now.   :)

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #57 on: October 12, 2004, 10:01:12 am »
Good new for those with touchscreens... I'm working with a tester who is helping me find a possible solution to the touchscreen problem.  I might even have a build to test tonight.... anyone have a touchscreen handy to test with?

--Chris
--Chris

Silver

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Cunning like the Fox.
    • Mods'n'Mods
« Reply #58 on: October 12, 2004, 10:19:28 am »
Hi,

I've got a 7" touchscreen (lilliput) that I can test on later on.... but not sure what the problem you are referring to was?

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #59 on: October 12, 2004, 01:14:06 pm »
The problem was that it just doesn't work.  :)  I now have reason to believe that I'm getting uncalibrated data from Windows, so I need to write my own calibration for it.
--Chris

froggerman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #60 on: October 20, 2004, 12:15:26 am »
Is there any way to control when the font switches from the wide font to the condensed font? If is use label jb45lb09.jpg longer file names seem to fit perfectly, but if I use label jb45lb10.jpg The longer names overwrite the "HIT" by almost 2 letters. I am just wondering if I can get the display to be even better...

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #61 on: October 20, 2004, 11:05:13 am »
Is there any way to control when the font switches from the wide font to the condensed font? If is use label jb45lb09.jpg longer file names seem to fit perfectly, but if I use label jb45lb10.jpg The longer names overwrite the "HIT" by almost 2 letters. I am just wondering if I can get the display to be even better...
Not yet.  Right now it makes assumtions that all labels look the same.  I'm looking into giving you more control, but I don't know if I should do that now or wait for a later version.

--Chris
--Chris

froggerman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #62 on: October 20, 2004, 11:08:18 am »
Unless it is very simple, I would wait for a later version. This is not a big problem. Perhaps when you support the labels by song category. "OLDY", C'TRY, etc.

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #63 on: October 20, 2004, 11:34:11 am »
Unless it is very simple, I would wait for a later version. This is not a big problem. Perhaps when you support the labels by song category. "OLDY", C'TRY, etc.
It is very not simple, but there are a lot more benefits than margin control.  The idea would be that any place a string could be output that is related to a song, you would be able to supply a "format string" in the skin to decide just how the string should appear.  That would really break things open: you would have so much control over DOSCab/WinCab's output that you would be able to create skins that act like media players, look like just about any jukebox, sort and work in different ways (like an album- or genre- based "classic" view), etc.  That, along with planned programmable filters, amount to a big change.  I think I'm talking myself into saving those for version 4....

--Chris
--Chris

Silver

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Cunning like the Fox.
    • Mods'n'Mods
« Reply #64 on: October 27, 2004, 12:10:10 pm »
version 4????  ::)

arn't you still beta releasing for v3..... ;-)

Anyway - can I ask if the sort-by-genre type option is planned to make an appearance in v3? or is that another v4 option?

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #65 on: October 27, 2004, 01:26:02 pm »
version 4????  ::)

arn't you still beta releasing for v3..... ;-)

Anyway - can I ask if the sort-by-genre type option is planned to make an appearance in v3? or is that another v4 option?

A simple sort is easy; I'll still get that in.  I'm going to try to catch up this weekend.  I need to fix touchscreen and mouse issues and get back to finishing the album-mode support.  I've also got to figure out the periodic crash-to-desktop thing that only seems to plague the Windows version.
--Chris

MikeAlex

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 30, 2023, 01:57:00 am
  • KIAAAAAIIII!!!!!!
« Reply #66 on: November 10, 2004, 10:23:32 am »
Hello Chris!

Do you plan to support WMA files?

Thanks.

BTW, great work!!!! :D :D :D

johnman001

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 01, 2004, 11:03:47 pm
  • Do you wnt to play a game?
A few questions....
« Reply #67 on: November 11, 2004, 12:35:13 am »
I have a few questions.  

I had been using 2.41 for about a year now and just recently put 3.0B4 on my cocktail cabinet.  The monitor rotation helps me since my monitor is basically vertical (in a cocktail table).

My questions are:

What changed with the keyboard mapping?  In the previous version (2.41), I didn't have any conflicts between mapped alphanumeric keys and the special keys on my keyboard.  In this release, my volume up button and my volume down button are mapped somehow to alphanumeric keys....  When I press the up volume or the down volume button, I get an alpha code now, where before I did not.

Is there a way I can disable the special keys from being "seen" by WinCab?  (what are the number values corresponding to the keys?)

In radio mode (I set it to 10 second delay), I have problems with the program hanging occasionally.  I thought it might be bad MP3 files, but I don't think it is a problem with the MP3 files now.  I think it must be an error or a bug.

I also can not seem to be able to get the alternate screen rotation feature to work.  Can anyone get that to work???

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Johnman001

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
Re:A few questions....
« Reply #68 on: November 11, 2004, 09:35:16 am »
What changed with the keyboard mapping?  In the previous version (2.41), I didn't have any conflicts between mapped alphanumeric keys and the special keys on my keyboard.  In this release, my volume up button and my volume down button are mapped somehow to alphanumeric keys....  When I press the up volume or the down volume button, I get an alpha code now, where before I did not.
The old version only looked at the keys it needed to function. In the new version, since you can assign multiple keys to a function (explicitly to support cocktail cabinets), it now looks at all the keys.  In the controls.ini file, try unmapping every key that you're not using by either mapping the key to DISABLED, commenting out the key definition by putting a # at the beginning of the line, or by deleting the definition altogether.  I'm not sure this will help, but it's worth a try.

In radio mode (I set it to 10 second delay), I have problems with the program hanging occasionally.  I thought it might be bad MP3 files, but I don't think it is a problem with the MP3 files now.  I think it must be an error or a bug.
This is a WinCab bug, and I'm trying to track it down.  It doesn't seem to happen in DOS.  Unfortunately, it's likely to be a memory allocation bug deep in the MP3 library I'm using; I may try another library for testing purposes.  Unfortunately, reproducing the bug is next to impossible... if anyone can find a definite sequence of events that leads to the crash, please let me know.  Right now, the only way I can test it is to queue up a few hours of music and wait for it to crash; skipping through songs with the Skip key doesn't seem to cause the bug.  According to the debug log, the crash happens after the song loads but before it starts playing.

I also can not seem to be able to get the alternate screen rotation feature to work.  Can anyone get that to work???
That's cause I haven't written it yet.  :)  It wasn't a priority because I didn't know anyone who was using a cocktail, so I'll go back and work on it if you don't mind being a guinea pig... :)

To rotate the display, I actually have to completely reload the skin, so I'll probably rename some things in this area to make this a general skin-changing feature.  Thus, you'd be able to flip between album mode (once I make it work) and singles mode at any time.  Actually, now that I'm writing it out, it sounds like a good feature.

--Chris
--Chris

johnman001

• Offline Offline
« Reply #69 on: November 11, 2004, 11:18:35 pm »
In the controls.ini, it states that you can call out the key by name or by number.  Is that Hex or Decimal?  I would be able to disable the Volume+ and Volume- keys if I could enter the HEX or DECIMAL values...  I may try it anyway just to see.

Me a guinea pig?  Heck no, I don't mind.

I have been adding comments to my .ini files to make it easier for me to assign keys (and more importantly for me to remember what changes I made and why).  When I am done commenting, I could send them to you to see what you think.  I know the only documentation supplied is in the configuration files.....

I have found several of my MP3 files will crash WinCAB.  I have most of them saved in a "badMp3" directory.  I had thought that there may have been something wrong with the files, but they play in winamp and media player just fine.  Those that I have identified will crash the program just as they complete, not just before playing.  I also have seen the program hang just before playing a song.

I really like this jukebox better than any of the others I have tried.  Thanks for all the work you have and continue to put into it.

Thanks again.

Johnman

RacerX

• Offline Offline
« Reply #70 on: November 12, 2004, 02:02:28 pm »
Just because an mp3 file doesn't crash Media Player or another player doesn't mean it will work in WinCab or DOSCab.  At least that's what I have found.

I have gotten DOSCab to crash in a similar manner, but it *was* bad mp3 files causing it.  Because I can download a different version of the mp3 file or rip a clean one off of a CD, and DOSCab doesn't crash on that song anymore.  These mp3 files didn't discriminate between DOSCab and WinCab, though.  They would cause both of them to crash.  But I believe I have found all of the ones in my collection that were causing this and replaced them with good versions.  I found them by turning on the debug log and leaving two PC's running in radio mode until one or the other would crash.  Then I would replace the offending mp3 file.

johnman001

• Offline Offline
« Reply #71 on: November 12, 2004, 10:17:00 pm »
"I have gotten DOSCab to crash in a similar manner, but it *was* bad mp3 files causing it."

Do you know what it is about those MP3 files that DOSCab/WINCab does not like?

(I'm just curious)

At least I don't feel so alone now and I know its not just me.....

Thanks

johnman001

• Offline Offline
« Reply #72 on: November 14, 2004, 11:11:24 am »
A brief backround:  I use Win98, I have a cocktail cab using a PC monitor rotated 90deg.  I use a hacked keyboard and not a dedicated encoder.

After spending some more time with the programs (WinCab and DOSCab), I have found the following:

1.  My keyboard volume buttons only cause extra input in WinCab and not in DOSCab. (easy workaround)

2.  I replaced the alleg41.dll in windows/system directory with the one distributed with WinCAB/DOSCAB.  The new one is smaller in size than the older version.  I think WinCAB/DOSCAB seem more stable now (or is it that I deleted most of the bad MP3s).

I still have some questions regarding the key assignment syntax.

In controls.ini, what would the syntax be for "special" keys?

KEY_(       ) = ###

I would like to map my "special" keys (Decimal 174 and 175) to null or "0" so they do not effect WinCAB.

Other than my minor inconvienance with the "volume" keys, WinCAB/DOSCAB are by far (in my opinion) the best jukebox emulators out there.....

Keep up the good work, and many thanks Chris.

RacerX

• Offline Offline
« Reply #73 on: November 14, 2004, 11:15:15 pm »
"I have gotten DOSCab to crash in a similar manner, but it *was* bad mp3 files causing it."

Do you know what it is about those MP3 files that DOSCab/WINCab does not like?

(I'm just curious)

At least I don't feel so alone now and I know its not just me.....

Thanks

No, I sure don't.  But getting a different copy of the mp3 has fixed every one.  So I just didn't worry about it.  Plus, I don't know how you could even figure out what is wrong with the mp3 files.   ???

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #74 on: November 15, 2004, 08:40:00 am »
Even if the MP3 is bad, I need to find a way to make WinCab deal with the issue more gracefully than to bomb out.  So it's still a bug.  I just got back from a week-long business trip, but I'll be digging back into it as soon as I can.

Thanks to everyone for sticking with me through all these bugs!

--Chris
--Chris

garyh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #75 on: November 17, 2004, 03:41:58 am »
Chris,

What's the status with touchscreen support for DOS/WinCAB? I got the impression from previous posts that it worked under Windows but not DOS, however having just bought a touchscreen I find it doesn't work under Windows. Should it work or have I misunderstood? If it doesn't and you are looking for a tester then let me know - I bought the touchscreen specifically for WinCab (it has to be the coolest input method for this app) so I'll help however I can.

Regards

Gary

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #76 on: November 17, 2004, 08:06:24 am »
I have a test build with touchscreen support... send me your E-mail address and I'll E-mail you the test version (half a meg or so).  Results have been mixed so far.

It should work under DOS with a jukebox.ini tweak, but I haven't found any DOS touchscreen testers.

--Chris
--Chris

StJohn

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 17, 2004, 10:54:56 pm
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #77 on: November 17, 2004, 11:30:37 pm »
Chris,

A superb job on version 3, many thanks for your hard work and especially for OGG support.

I am having one problem and that is setting UpdateIndex=True works fine but then setting it to False gives the error "No songs found! Check the SongPath setting in JUKEBOX.INI".

The file path is fine as it works okay when UpdateIndex=True.

I am running wincab from c:\jukebox and the OGG files are in c:\jukebox\music\.....

songpath=c:\jukebox\music

Am I doing smething wrong?

Hope you can help.

Best regards

Gary
Hmm... not sure.  Is this Beta 1 or Beta 3?  Can you post the debug log, or e-mail it to me? (If you're using Beta 3, you'll have to enable the debug log in the jukebox.ini first by setting DebugLevel=5.)

Thanks!

--Chris

Has there been any resolution to this?  I am having the same problem with 3.0b4. I keep getting "No Songs Found" Error.  

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #78 on: November 18, 2004, 12:02:03 am »
Make sure you don't have a # in front of the SongPath in jukebox.ini.  The # is a comment character; unfortunately, I don't make it clear in the default jukebox.ini that the # needs to be removed to make the sample paths in the file work....

--Chris
--Chris

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #79 on: November 20, 2004, 12:03:45 pm »
There's gonna be a slight delay for updates... my hard drive just died.... AIEEE!
--Chris