Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: What do you think of...  (Read 2107 times)

kspiff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 02, 2016, 09:15:36 pm
  • Love of the game, baby.. love of the game..
What do you think of...
« on: June 03, 2002, 04:38:48 am »
I'm to the point where I'm thinking of what kind of hardware I want to put in my cab's computer and would like some feedback from the veterans.. I question the following hardware (since I plan to have my cab boot into DOS and DOS MAME [normally]):

1.) video card: Radeon 8500-series.. I don't see how this would be a problem in pure DOS running MAME and it has plenty of 3D power for the occasional FPS and excellent s-video TV-out. Not using a real arcade monitor, BTW.

2.) sound card: SB Live! Value (or similar Live!-type card).. I've heard that there are issues with this card under DOS.. but it'd also be a good card for Windows gaming and has a remote if I get a package with a Live!Drive.. any experiences..?

3.) mouse: Intellimouse optical mouse.. I'm assuming this mouse is compatible with M$'s DOS mouse driver or possibly another 3rd party driver.. and don't see why it would be a problem to daisy chain through an Opti-Pac.. but why not ask while I'm at it  ::)

TIA!

kspiff
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by 1026619200 »
k-spiff

Sasquatch!

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2010, 04:11:47 pm
  • Toot-Toot!
    • Arcade Paradise
Re: What do you think of...
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2002, 08:23:43 pm »
Heya kspiff!

1) I've never used a Radeon 8500 with MAME, but I haven't heard of any problems with it.

2) I'm using a SB Live, and it works fine.  There are DOS drivers available for it, so you're good to go.

3) Never used an optical mouse, so dunno about this one.  You're wanting to use it as a mouse, or are you hacking a spinner into it?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by 1026619200 »