Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: A few newbie hardware q's  (Read 2730 times)

richattri

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Never
  • In the words of Socrates, "I drank what!?"
A few newbie hardware q's
« on: May 27, 2002, 08:49:19 am »
Well, I've finally assembled all the hardware necessary to start construction on my desktop cab! But, I'm running into some limitations using very old hardware (fwiw, I'm a big fan of pre-1985 games, so I'm only running on an old P233 w/ 2 ISA+4 PCI slots). Fortunately frame rates are not my issue (though using the -nohws parm is key!) My problem is trying to find a way to make this a small enough footprint, both height and width.

So, my first question: is there such a thing as a slot L-adapter, that would plug into an ISA or PCI slot with a small height then adapt the plug to sit horizontally parallel with the motherboard? I have enough room that if I could do this with my sound and video card, I could reduce the minimum motherboard clearance from just around 7" to about 4" at worst. I know old Apple Mac LC's used to have such an adapter because of their slim height. Do PC's have any equivalent?

Second, my power supply thankfully has a power connect for the monitor (so I won't have to run a power strip inside the cab). However, it is the old style inverted monitor type. The monitor I'm using has a hardwired power cord. Anyone know where I can find an adapter to adapt the monitor style connector to a standard three-prong socket?

Finally, I want to save space by having my buttons laid out as dense as possible without weakening the wood. What is the minimum spacing between button centers (using standard 1.13" buttons) that I should use?

Thanks for any help!

Rich
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by 1026619200 »

mrhowell

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 20, 2024, 12:45:21 pm
Re: A few newbie hardware q's
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2002, 09:14:16 am »
Never heard of a L-Slot adapter.  You might try looking for a motherboard with sound/video/network built in.  I see them at computer shows all the time (used).  As for the monitor power cord, it should be easy too replace the cord with the type you need.  As for buttons, if you use a 5/8 or 3/4 '' plywood it should not be a problem to mount buttons close together.  Plywood is very strong.
What is that pappy?

Lilwolf

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2022, 10:26:34 pm
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2002, 10:15:49 am »
There isn't a L adaptor that is standard.

Some motherboards that where designed for slimline cases had this though.  but then you are spending cash.

If you want a really slick solution.  The Via 866 mhz motherboards are fanless and designed to go into small areas.  

Also, look into different form factors or industrial computers.  They get more expensive, but have everything on one board.  And don't require a heat sync.  

But those solutions cost more then a new board since they have limited uses.

izaram

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2002, 03:50:28 am »
Try searching for PCI riser cards. Same for ISA (dunno if they are as easy to get). I bought a PCI riser for an car MP3 project from a local manufacturer and it cost me $20.

Found their page:

http://www.cofan-usa.com/

Hope it helps.

SteveJ34

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 06, 2024, 12:29:40 am
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2002, 08:42:53 pm »

..... 8<...snip....
Second, my power supply thankfully has a power connect for the monitor (so I won't have to run a power strip inside the cab). However, it is the old style inverted monitor type. The monitor I'm using has a hardwired power cord. Anyone know where I can find an adapter to adapt the monitor style connector to a standard three-prong socket?

I have a local discount electronics warehouse that I source items like this....found a used one for $0.50 but here's a source for a new one:

http://www.cyberguys.com

Search for Item# 131 0430

Cost is $1.49 + shipping.

I've made several purchases from this etailer and have always been pleased with service and timely delivery.

Steve