Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: VGA Arcade Monitor or S-Video to TV  (Read 6676 times)

bhadsock

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 07, 2020, 05:44:37 pm
  • I'm a llama!
VGA Arcade Monitor or S-Video to TV
« on: August 12, 2002, 07:58:56 pm »
I am looking for comments or suggestions for the video portion of a MAME cabinet I am building.  The PC I am using already has an S-Video output and I am thinking of using that as an input to a 25" or 27" TV or my other option was to get a Wells Gardner 27" VGA Arcade Monitor.

What are the positive and negative points of either option?

Thanks for any responses.

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 21, 2004, 03:44:18 am
  • Banned for abusive postings.
Re:VGA Arcade Monitor or S-Video to TV
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2002, 08:10:25 pm »
dude there is nothing to decide here...go with vga arcade monitor..its the only way you wont blind yourself..tv is just too weird...i cant stand tv..even with s-video..its horrible..maybe its just me but after playing on vga arcade for a while..i tried 2 different tv s....my eye balls almost fell  out of the sockets.i started crying on how the display was..

besides why do you think it cost twice the money.

good tv=$250....$300
vga arcade=$500

personally i cant afford 27" and its too big..because i am the only one plays..i got 19" but i have seen 27" onces.

BombProofPlane

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 11, 2009, 04:14:14 pm
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2002, 08:27:56 pm »
if you use a scan converter or an ati card it looks pretty good to me

the price is high on the arcade monitors because of low demand.

Slice

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 30, 2003, 05:06:43 am
  • I'll get there!!!
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2002, 04:19:51 am »
I have the option of using either a TV or arcade monitor in my Cab, I have an ATI card with a TV out so this would be the easy option. I've used the Arcade Mon in the previous setup of my cab and in version2 I'm having a few problems with the way I'm trying to set things up. But to me the results with the monitor are worth it in the end.
Scan convertors are hated by some people, I've never used one but there has been endless debate about them here and to be honest the impression I get is that to get really good results you need to buy an expensive one.
My advise is this - get things set up and hook it up to a regular TV (Out of your Cabinet) and see if YOU like the results. If you like what you see, problem solved!!!!!!!
;D

bhadsock

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2002, 08:21:55 am »
I have not built the cabinet yet, so I currently have my computer hooked up to a 32" TV and the quality on that looks good, but it does feel like it strains my eyes.  Is this something a VGA arcade monitor can ease?

Slice

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 30, 2003, 05:06:43 am
  • I'll get there!!!
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2002, 09:44:05 am »
Well, you'll find that the image on the Arcade monitor will be alot sharper than on the TV screen (At least going by my small experience!) - 32" must be pretty cool though! Don't know what you're using to your TV but, if you have an SVGA connector use this as the results are much better.

bhadsock

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2002, 10:02:49 am »
Well right now, I have it hooked up to my home theater system using the S-Video output of a Matrox Marvel video card.  Personally, I think 32" is too big, but it was my only option for testing other than my 17" monitor.

BombProofPlane

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2002, 10:03:20 am »

Well, you'll find that the image on the Arcade monitor will be alot sharper than on the TV screen (At least going by my small experience!) - 32" must be pretty cool though! Don't know what you're using to your TV but, if you have an SVGA connector use this as the results are much better.

unless your using a 31khz arcade monitor its going to appear more blury than on a good tv or pc monitor

but i guess you want blury if your playing classics

i reccomend a smaller size than 32 inch for the oldies though maybe 27 with bezels enabled hehe

l3et9jdh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 08, 2019, 08:15:05 pm
  • a.k.a ~ sellsellsell2000
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2002, 04:51:21 pm »
Trust me, USED A TV!
Why, you can plug in Dreamcast, Gamecube, Playstation 2, you can even watch Movie, TV.
Pretent you Cabinet as a TV stand.
Although it might be difficult to display on a TV.
You can still make out what it said on the screen if you just running mame....
Use another computer to chat or check emails.
Less HEADACHE...
Believe me I've doing it now.

BombProofPlane

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2002, 10:45:53 pm »
what would you want to play on gamecube? no fighters

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2002, 10:47:32 pm »
hahhaha..smash brothers maybe...GO WITH VGA..tv still suck bad....its just too hard on your eyes man..

BombProofPlane

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2002, 01:31:51 am »
smash brothers is no fighter

tv tv tv cheap and lets you play next gen fighters on your cab and watch tv in the pip window while playing a game (you really want to play a game but dont have a tivo and its {insert your favorite sporting event here} championship game)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2002, 09:25:50 am »
Ok once again I'll have to lay out the facts.....

VGA =the best picture but it will NOT look like a true arcade display, this includes the vga/arcade monitor hybrids as they have square pixels and real arcade machines have round ones.

Arcade Monitor= a true, crisp arcade display but it's very hard to work with and forget about windows support or supporting multiple resolutions.  

TV (svid) = by far the best solution.... you can get a big one cheap and the quality is very near that of an arcade monitor.  If you have a video card that does tv out then you will have zero setup problems.  The games and emus you choose will not be limited by your display.  You can watch tv and play console games on it too.

Historically this is how it goes for previous byoac cabs....

If it's a conversion they try to use the orignal arcade monitor, if they can't they use a tv or a svga computer monitor.

If not they either buy a tv or if they have, it put in a spare computer monitor.  

later down the road......

If they kept the arcade monitor they start wanting to use windows/other emus and start realizing it's limitations. (Not always the case, but is always true if they update their setup regularly.)  

If they went with a computer monitor they eventually realize how small/unauthentic it is and they start thinking about putting in a tv.  (Again not always 100% true, as some people dont' care about how authentic it looks.)    

If they went with a good quality svid tv then they are petty much satisfied.

On a final note the Wells Garner montior hybrids are practially a crippled svga monitor.  What this means is you get the unauthentic display of a pc monitor and the resolution problems (although not quite as severe) of a true arcade monitor.  Why people actually buy these is beyond me.  I guess if the price was right though.  

Ok so there are the facts based on the countless time I've spent here and my own personal experience with most of the displays.  

generousben

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 17, 2003, 11:45:43 am
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2002, 07:39:09 pm »
This subject seams to be going around in circles.
I have many arcade cabinets, running arcade PCBs and running  various emulators,(mame ,zinc,pj64)  on arcade monitors and have tried all the different displays available in the UK .I also have a few ATI Radeon cards and a s,video TV  
I think people need to decide what they want to get out of there projects .
if they were happy playing the games on a PC but  would like a more authentic controller then fine use a TV , use a PC SVGA monitor at the end of the day isn't that the name of this site ,Build your own arcade controls?If this site was called " build an authentic arcade machine that plays all the arcade classic 99% arcade perfect" any suggestion of not using the authentic screen would be laughed at .IF you dont use an arcade monitor you are totally wasting your time and missing the whole point of what you are trying to do butt that's up to you ,every one is entitled to there own point of view.
One of the problems of this subject is that it is hard to post accurate screen shots of the different displays onto the web.
since they will all be viewed though a SVGA monitor,
this leaves the people who have never seen emulators running on 15 and 25 kHz arcade monitors thinking that you can get a comparable picture using a TV?
hence the merry go round of message board posting .
If you haven't had an arcade monitor running mame i dont think you should post comments on the subject as you views are very one sided what you think is good today can easily change when you see what you are missing  out . I dont have a problem what displays people use but if i was new to this subject and took what i read on these board as accurate i would be under the impression that an TV was the best display ,and from my hands on experience that simply is not the case.

Ben.

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2002, 04:32:07 am »
yeah..tv.....

PEOPLES,stop killing yourselves..my hybrid looks even better then actual arcade monitors.i have seen em all in action..arcade monitor is cool..but very limited use of it..

TV SUCK..end of story..i tried 2 different tv..both with s-video..its just crap...and get this..my RCA tv is a 27" and actual viewable screen size is about 22"...23".and hybrid 19" svga arcade monitors are 19" viewable.

this is when i was installing windows..games look all smooth..no blocky ness or any pc monitor crappy looks.
==========================================
and this is actual pinball game.not real pinball machine..look at the pic :o..now decide between tv and this..

======================================================================

and one of the best game ever !!!  :)

so do the math..after all..you dont wanna be blind in a few days after playing mame on tv..its very very painfull..probly only me,but its just very hard to deal with..

Keith O

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 15, 2006, 04:55:42 pm
  • Get off me cheese!
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2002, 08:04:58 pm »
TV's suck? Speak for yourself. I have a 20" RCA s-vid TV and an old ATI Rage Fury. The picture quality is great! Also, I don't need to see an emulator running an an arcade monitor - I can go to the local arcade and see for myself what an arcade monitor looks like. By the way, there's very little difference in my opinion.

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2002, 12:08:33 am »
19" with s-video actually looks fine....but little bit larger screen and you are blind..who know..probley just me.

generousben2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 02, 2002, 04:33:44 am
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2002, 10:09:13 am »
At the end of the day this isnt about opinions it is about fact,it is not about having the display looking ok it is about having the display looking the best it can.
as i said before if you are happy using a tv fine good luck to you,but the way this is coming across is that there is very little diference between rgb and s.video displays ,and that a smost of us know is B/S.we curently have mame cabs with tv,svga ,arcade monitor dos and arcade monitor displaying windows.
it is not techincly possible to get a display comparable to RGB by using s-video.
when windows is displayed on arcade monitor the picture is pin sharp and is as clear as svga,all be it at a lower resulution there is no colour bleeding or any distortion what so ever, when windows is diplayed on an s-video tv it is very hard to read its crap, the same when aplications,games are run.
surely if s-video was as good as RBG then we would all use tvs conected to our pcs there would be know need to have rgb svga displays
if you ran your tv directly out of the pcs vga port into a euro conector\ scart socket on a tv  then you would get a tv displaying rgb signal this would be similar to an arcade monitor.
scince isnt wrong in this  case , but your opinions are.
if you still think you are right  then maybe you should e.mail all the current rgb svga monitor manufacturers  and tell them that they should stop making there monitors because you have discoverd a far superior display, your s-video tv
i am sure you have discovered something which will change the face or video display................well done

ben

BombProofPlane

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2002, 01:32:36 pm »
ive found somehing supperior my tv with component video looks just like a monitor when you pump in component from consoles what not but i cant get anything from my video card because ati sold out of the component adapters

http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1640&p=3

Keith O

• Offline Offline
  • Get off me cheese!
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2002, 08:31:04 pm »
Ben,

I NEVER said that s-video is superior to arcade monitors - I stated that in my OPINION, there is very little difference. Don't misrepresent what I said. If you cannot read a few lines of an opinion (mine) without convoluting it, I begin to question whether you can acurately read the display of arcade monitors and TV's. Why should I trust YOUR opinion? Also, if you're striving for authenticity, why use an emulator at all? Surely, someone like yourself, with an acute sense of authenticity would find it heretical. While you're at it, why not put a few cigarette burns on your control panel? :P

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2002, 03:32:15 am »
okay keith dude..

things are getting funny over here :D

ben wasnt that bad  :)

there is serious issues with TVs....its just not right....most real looks would be arcade monitors..but vga arcades are even better..just my opinions on anyone who is not sure about what to get...I REPEAT...its either hybrid vga monitor or nothing at all...arcade monitor if you only use for mame..real arcade monitor still suck..very limited use..

BombProofPlane

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2002, 04:09:28 am »
bah the eygos blow square pixels

Keith O

• Offline Offline
  • Get off me cheese!
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2002, 10:19:09 am »
Yeah, I know if might have come across rather strong but ultimately I am just having a fun (hopefully) and healthy debate. ;D

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2002, 01:54:43 pm »

bah the eygos blow square pixels

i know..on windows XP...eygo suck balls..but 98 is all smooooooooth and as good as it can get..this problem is the weirdest thing you might ever see in your entire life.

xp no good and 98 look better..and only god know whats the deal with that :(