Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: installing formica questions  (Read 8985 times)

Radeyes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Never
  • I want to Build My Own Arcade Controls!!
installing formica questions
« on: June 03, 2002, 10:29:41 pm »
I've purchased a great big sheet of formica for my MAME box project and I'm not so sure how to go about using this stuff.  I purchased the contact adhesive, but I could use some pointers. Specifically:

- What should I use to cut it (sharp utility knife? dremel + cutting wheel?)
- Should it be cut larger than the wood (I'm using 5/8" MDF) it will be mounted on, then trimmed (again, what's best to cut it?)

Any other pointers?

Thanks for reading this!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by 1026619200 »

me

Re: installing formica questions
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2002, 11:31:42 pm »
well i can help...here is the deal..installing formica is useless...from what i think...but i still went for it because of my PICKYNESS..

here is the easiest way....get CONTACT CEMENT

NOTHING ELSE WORKS>>>

and to cut>> just glue the formica first then let it cool..once glued real good then use plexi glass cutter...only cost like $5 everywhere...that cuts it real nice....my joystick came out better then expected so make sure  CONTACT CEMENT..nothing else works...good luck ;D

SteveJ34

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 06, 2024, 12:29:40 am
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2002, 11:41:15 pm »

- What should I use to cut it (sharp utility knife? dremel + cutting wheel?)
- Should it be cut larger than the wood (I'm using 5/8" MDF) it will be mounted on, then trimmed (again, what's best to cut it?)

I covered my control panel using formica.

I used a circular saw with 80 tooth blade to rip off the piece I needed, then jigsaw to cut an outline slightly larger than the 5/8 MDF it was to cover.

Next I secured this to the MDF using contact cement, let it dry (it cures fast).

Finally, I followed with a sanding disk on my dremel tool to bring it smooth and flush on the edges.

Worked like a champ.

I found MDF soaked up quite a bit of cement so I was a bit liberal with a second coat on the MDF. Be sure you have it lined up how you want as when you lay it down it wants to stay there.

Use firm pressure from inside to outside edges (some recommend a wooden rolling pin). I just used a scrap piece of 2x4 and some "elbow grease".

I tested the "process" with a small piece of scrap MDF and formica.

I am very pleased with the finished result.

I found the dremel tool "priceless" for several steps here and there while building my cab...sanding this and that, cutting wheel here and there, and used a carbide tip cutting wheel to cut the T-moulding groove on all edges (as I didn't have access to a router).

Best of luck.

Steve

Donor

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2002, 07:36:47 am »
Radeyes
I've used formica many times with great success here is how I apply it. First cut your formica bigger than the surface you want to cover. I use a circular saw, place the formica on a scrap peice of wood, set the saw blade so it just cuts thru the formica. The bigger the better this will decrease your margin of error, but don't be wastefull the stuff's not cheap. Now apply the contact cement to the wood surface and the back of the formica using a roller or a brush. Allow 5-15 minuites for the adhesive to become sticky and place the sheet on the wood. You get one chance to do this so it better be straight and you want the formica to overhang all edges of the wood. Now use a heavy roller or a heavy round object to press the formica into the wood, try to get all of the air out. Hopefully you have access to a router, they make a bit just for cutting the edges off of formica it works great and is very easy to use. Just run the router around the edges of wood and the edges are cut perfectly to size.   8)

ErikRuud

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2021, 10:20:27 am
  • I'll build a cab for only 99.99.99!!!
    • Erik's humble video game page
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2002, 08:20:59 am »
Check this link: http://alsnetbiz.com/homeimprovement/htseries/formica.html for some instructions on installing formica laminate.

The most important thing to remember, is that you only get one shot with contact cement.  Once the two parts touch, they are stuck.  That is why they call it contact cement.

A flush trimming bit in a router is usually the best way to trim the formica after it is glued down.

Real Life.  Still a poor substitute for video games!       
American Laser Games Wrapper
O2em Rom Utility

PCC

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 07, 2003, 04:12:28 pm
    • PC Cab
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2002, 08:43:20 am »
Carefully follow the directions on your contact adhesive.  The flammable stuff is more permanent, but should be used outdoors.  Let the adhesive dry on both surfaces.  Place wooden dowel rods about a foot apart on the surface so that you can adjust the laminate; remove the rods one at a time and use a J-roller to apply pressure across the attached surfaces.  Keep removing the rods and applying pressure until finished.  You'll want to trim the bulk of the excess away with a rotary tool and a laminate cutting bit (leave a couple of inches and support the excess so it doesn't crack where you don't want it to).  ErikRuud is right; a router with a flush cutting laminate bit is the way to go; you'll get a perfect edge.  Take your time and you'll be happy with the results.

Scott's Unicade has a good piece on laminate:
http://home.austin.rr.com/shumate/unicade/cabinet.htm
E-mail: info@pccab.net

Radeyes

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Never
  • I want to Build My Own Arcade Controls!!
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2002, 09:04:27 am »
Thanks a lot everyone for the help & links!  Looks like I need to find myself a router...

Jack Saunders

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2002, 09:46:52 am »
Great information..I have a followup question:

Which order of construction is correct (or at least easier)?:

1. cutout control panel from MDF
2. laminate with formica
3. layout and drill formica & MDF for buttons, joysticks, etc.

OR

1. cutout control panel from MDF
2. layout and drill MDF for buttons, joysticks, etc.
3. laminate with formica
4. drill formica (if this method, how?)

Thanks in advance,
Jack

neuromancer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 10, 2006, 04:26:57 pm
  • Can I Play?
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2002, 10:05:14 am »
Laminate it, then drill it all together.

One more tip on assembly: get some dowel rods. Apply contact cement. Lay dowels onto MDF. Lay laminate on dowel rods. Now you can position the laminate to your heart's content. When satisfied with the position, remove the dowel rods one at a time.

A j-roller is a handy tool for applying pressure to the laminate.

Bob