Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Custom Driving Controls  (Read 5412 times)

Simon Horsfall

• Trade Count: (0)
Custom Driving Controls
« on: July 10, 2002, 12:59:48 am »
I want to build my own custom driving controls like on the supersprint or pole position games (360 spinning). I have seen a few sites that talk about normal wheels but not these types. Anyone have any details or can point me in the right direction. Also would a USB PC steering wheel work with DOS Mame? I run Arcadeos and Mame DOS so I would like it to work with Dos. Thanks in advance

Simon
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by 1026619200 »

Minwah

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2019, 05:03:20 am
    • MAMEWAH
Re: Custom Driving Controls
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2002, 03:28:12 am »
Maybe you could have a look at the Oscar Steering Control (www.oscarcontrols.com).  I think that is basically a spinner with a steering wheel attached to it.

I think you would struggle to get a USB device to work in DOS.

Good luck...

Tiger-Heli

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 03, 2018, 02:19:23 pm
  • Ron Howard? . . . er, I mean . . . Run, Coward!!!
    • Tiger-Heli
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2002, 04:47:44 am »
OSCAR'S controls are top-notch, but this is a very simple hack.

Option 1:  Get an arcade wheel off E-bay (Should be under $15.00, maybe under $10.00).  Connect the circuit board into an opti-pac.

Option 2 (for DOS MAME):  Get the same wheel off E-bay.  Keep the encoder wheel, but remove the optic board.  Gut a serial or PS/2 mouse (about $3.00) and position it's optic board to read the encoder wheel.  Plug in and play.

I think you want a lo-res mouse (fairly big slots on the mouse encoder wheel) and some experimentation with different brands might be required.  I got decent results with an old Logitech 3-button serial mouse.

USB should work with DOS mame in a DOS window under win98 or above (maybe).  It definitely will NOT work in straight DOS.
It's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, it's what you leave behind you when you go. - R. Travis.
When all is said and done, generally much more is SAID than DONE.

gajaman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 19, 2011, 02:50:33 pm
  • The GajaCab is here......
    • The Gaja Project
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2002, 11:43:25 am »
Check the wheel prototypes (still prototypes, someday I'll finish them) on my site.

I hacked a mouse for a supersprint type wheel. The prototypes look crap, but work great for 360 degree games.

http://www.firenza.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/arcade

1UP

• Token Junkie
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 11, 2014, 01:37:18 am
  • Yes, that is a joystick in my pocket.
    • 1UPArcade
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2002, 12:17:16 am »
One less obvious way...I hacked a Star Wars yoke to a MS Dual Strike.  The dual strike software has a mouse mode, and allows you to set a "spin zone", so if you crank it all the way left or right, it keeps sending signals as if the mouse is still being rolled left or right.  This would have a similar effect to continuously spinning a trackball or optical wheel.  The Dual Strike can be hacked to various analog arcade controls like a flight stick or a pot-based steering wheel, if you have one.  You can see how I hacked my Dual Strike here.

Free resource for building your own rotating control panels!

My other job...