Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Ummm... is there supposed to be a big hole (space) in the back of the cabinet?  (Read 7292 times)

sofakng

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 18, 2021, 04:19:21 pm
Seeing as how I'm a totally newbie at this, I'm somewhat confused.

I started assembling the cabinet today and I got to the part where we attach the cabinet back bottom panel.  Well I started putting up various pieces to see how they'd fit and...  I noticed that it looks as if there is an entire panel missing?!

Well upon further examination (and looking through the book over and over) it seems as though it's that way by design...

So... is it true that on the back of the cabinet you will have the "cabinet back bottom" and then a big gap, and then AFTER the gap the "cabinet back top" followed by the "cabinet back angled section" ?

I'm pretty sure the gap is supposed to be there (perhaps for ventilation?) but I just want to make sure...

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2023, 09:51:57 am
  • Arcade Repair in New England
    • Arcade Game and Other Coin-Op Projects
I haven't seen this, but it sounds like the back door.

GamingGreg

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 05, 2018, 06:04:30 pm
The book is based off of LuSid's design, and yes it doesn't have a back.  A friend of mine built a cabinet with that design, and it has no back either.  However, when it's turned to a wall or corner, it's not noticeable there isn't one there.   You certainly could add a door on the back.  For some people there is no need for that.  For others, it's possible to add one for "authenticness", "security from the kids", or whatever.

sofakng

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 18, 2021, 04:19:21 pm
Well, I was going to leave the hole there, and add hinges to the bottom back panel.  The reason is because if I only have that hole there, it will still be difficult to access to the very bottom inside of the cabinet.

I'm also attaching the cabinet front piece but without any hinges or a coin door.  I plan to later drill out a coin door (hopefully it won't be too difficult).

Do you suggest I do something besides that?  (for the back door hinges and the front door)

Tahnok

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 28, 2008, 06:09:25 am
  • Error recording error codes. Remaining errors lost
    • Table Arcades
I believe that gap is for air. If you completely seal the cab then you will have to have a fan somewhere, Which means more noise.
Note: Out of town with limited internet access 2-28-08 through 3-16-08

Bartop/Countertop Cabinet Kits For Sale

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2023, 09:22:35 pm
  • The Bears Still Suck!
I believe that gap is for air. If you completely seal the cab then you will have to have a fan somewhere, Which means more noise.
That's a good idea, but that's not what it is for.

It doesn't really matter if you put a back on or not.  My double Draogn II cabinet has a back door on.  actual arcade had them on for security, etc.  No back does help keep the computer cooler with air flow throught he cabinet.

lusid

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 04, 2016, 11:01:53 am
    • LuSiD's Arcade Flashback
There were originally two reasons for the space in the back.

1.  I didn't want to install a fan

2. I didn't want to buy another sheet of wood.  ;)

But with it there I can reach the back panel connectors on my TV if I have to, which is a nice plus.
C - - - - - o

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
More than half my real arcade games don't have backs on them. And I wouldn't run a vector game with the back on under any circumstances (you do not want those monitors overheating).
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 11:59:54 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
There were originally two reasons for the space in the back.

Gunstar Hero

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 28, 2014, 01:51:17 am
  • Back in action!
Yes. Yes there is.  ;D

MrBond

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2012, 03:50:37 pm
  • ...The name's Do......Mr. Do!...
Cool, I thought I was somewhat alone in leaving the back of my cab open.  I had no choice though, as the monitor kind of sticks out...the cool think is it has handles, which I can use to dolley around the cab.  I need better castors though; my cab is heavy!
...they only live twice!...
(>")>----MAME----<("<)

JONTHEBOMB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2019, 12:08:18 am
  • BOOM!!!!
Today, I thought I did something horribly wrong.  In order to see what I had left to put on my cabinet, I laid out the remaining pieces.  I had my Cabinet Back Bottom Section all ready on and noticed that the Cabinet Back Top Section wasn't going to cover the entire back.  I first looked around the woodshop thinking I misplaced a piece.  Then I saw that the plans didn't mention anything about a Cabinet Back Middle Section.  I was going to start a new thread, but I'm glad I found this one. ;D

Stingray

• Official Slacker - I promise to try a lot less
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2021, 03:43:54 pm
More than half my real arcade games don't have backs on them.

I only have two upright cabs, but I leave the back off of both of them. As mentioned, it's just easier if you have to work inside them.

-S
Stingray you magnificent bastard!
This place is dead lately.  Stingray scare everyone off?