Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Sound Blaster Built-in Amp  (Read 4580 times)

Keith O

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 15, 2006, 04:55:42 pm
  • Get off me cheese!
Sound Blaster Built-in Amp
« on: August 11, 2002, 01:07:28 pm »
I have a Sound Blaster 16 (ISA) that I'm using in Dos. I noticed that the card has a buit-in amp. Here's the blurb:

The built-in stereo power amplifier delivers a maximum output power of 6 watts per channel to 4 ohm speakers and 3 watts per channel to 8 ohm speakers....

Is that enough power to have decent volume on my cab? Also which is better - 6 watts 4 ohm speakers or 3 watts 8 ohm speakers? Lastly, the size of speaker that my cab was made for is 6" - is that an issue as well regarding sound quality?

I'd appreciate any help with this as I'm pretty much a novice when it comes to amps/speakers/etc.

PCC

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 07, 2003, 04:12:28 pm
    • PC Cab
Re:Sound Blaster Built-in Amp
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2002, 12:23:14 am »
I've tried the same card that you are using with the Happ 4" shielded speakers (part# 49-0228-00).  The Happ round speaker grilles are a perfect match for them (part# 49-5181-00).  I believe these speakers are rated at 8 ohms.

You should have no problems with them being loud enough.  And if you are using them for games, the sound quality should be more than adequate.
E-mail: info@pccab.net

neuromancer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 10, 2006, 04:26:57 pm
  • Can I Play?
Re:Sound Blaster Built-in Amp
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2002, 11:26:45 am »
My wife has a gateway at work with a soundblaster with onboard amp. It is loud enough to be obnoxious in her little office.

For  a given amp, 4 ohm speakers will be louder. That's why car audio is always 4 ohm. It also requires more power from the amp, so if you turn it up, it might sound bad. 8 ohm would be a "safer" purchase, but 4 ohm is probably a better choice.

See if you can dig up the specs on the amp. Maybe it's designed for 4 ohm. If you have two of them you can always run them in series to create an 8 ohm unit.

Bob