Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: computer  (Read 2667 times)

RCRDaleFan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Never
  • I want to Build My Own Arcade Controls!!
computer
« on: June 04, 2002, 05:34:45 pm »
in a perfect world im sure there is only one responce to this question, but since this isn't a perfect world any feedback i can get and consider would be a big help... im going to dedicate a pc to my mame, but i want to put the money where it is needed and not on all the bells and whistles i won't use...what would be the ideal pc for a mame as far as specs go...ie memory, hard drive ect. and at what point is it over kill on all them?

thanks in advance everyone

Phil

JustMichael

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 27, 2015, 01:19:40 am
  • Mmmmm!! Cheesecake!!
Re: computer
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2002, 10:23:28 pm »
Currently CPU speed is the most critical thing.  Also get a board that supports DDR ram.  256MB should be more than enough for quite a while.  Toss in a hard drive big enough to hold all the roms.  Current Mame roms take up about 4 1/2 GB zipped and merged.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by 1026619200 »

u_rebelscum

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2010, 03:06:26 pm
  • You rebel scum
    • Mame:Analog+
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2002, 11:07:24 pm »
in a perfect world im sure there is only one responce to this question, but since this isn't a perfect world any feedback i can get and consider would be a big help... im going to dedicate a pc to my mame, but i want to put the money where it is needed and not on all the bells and whistles i won't use...what would be the ideal pc for a mame as far as specs go...ie memory, hard drive ect. and at what point is it over kill on all them?

thanks in advance everyone

Phil

All depends on which games you want to play.  This is what I think is needed for most games:

memory: 256megs (128 if pacman/galaga games, maybe 512 for a few upcoming games)

harddrive:  30gigs  (more to prep for future games that had their own harddrives)  Any smaller and you don't save any money.

cpu: 1.2 gig athlon/p3/p4 (pentium 200 for pacman/galaga, 1600+ athlonXP/2gig p4 for the harder to emulate games which includes some old and some new games)

cdrom, 17"+ monitor, speakers,  any sound  & video card (unless it's on you MB) that works well on your OS & MB combo.

network card/modem to get the games.

trackball if you like trackball games
spinner for spinner games
pedals for racing games, etc.

For a mame only PC, you don't need firewire, DVD, don't need top of the line video card.

JM2C
Robin
Knowledge is Power

RCRDaleFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Never
  • I want to Build My Own Arcade Controls!!
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2002, 02:20:44 am »
Would it be better to build my own pc?...i never have before but i have the time and the willingness to learn and if anyone has any web pages that you think might be of help with the building , i would appreciate it. maybe it would be gr8 for the experience?

Thanks again all

Phil

BASSOFeeSH

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 29, 2009, 12:46:42 am
  • TD-2779
    • Trooper Armor
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2002, 07:16:18 am »
If you've ever upgraded your PC via PCI cards or new harddrives, you may be ready to build your own.

I'm sure there's plenty of walk-throughs on the net, just search on google.

IMHO, the only hard part is attaching the heatsinks w/o destroying the CPU.(Not really hard, but scary as hell)