Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Happ illuminated buttons  (Read 2441 times)

feesh

• Trade Count: (0)
Happ illuminated buttons
« on: June 05, 2002, 06:18:46 pm »
Has anyone used Happ Illuminated buttons in a MAME cabinet/arcade control?  Just trying to figure out what extra wiring would be necessary versus that of regular buttons.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by 1026619200 »

1UP

• Token Junkie
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 11, 2014, 01:37:18 am
  • Yes, that is a joystick in my pocket.
    • 1UPArcade
Re: Happ illuminated buttons
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2002, 03:03:58 am »
Well, obviously you'd need 2 wires for powering the lights.  I got the small illuminated PBs (don't be fooled, small means about 1 inch wide, not like Missile Command buttons!)  I'm planning to convert mine to use LEDs.  Yes, I know they sell LEDs for this on the Happs site, but I've got a bunch of LEDs lying around.  

There are two extra metal tabs on the sides of the buttons, which take .250 quick disconnects (I think...)  I'll be making a simple board for powering the LEDs.  It's just a matter of soldering them in parallel, then finding the right resistor to use.  Or you could just use the bulbs that come installed, and use +12V from the PC.  Also, if you order Happ's LED replacements, I believe they come with a resistor already installed.

The power for mine will be coming straight from the PC via a hacked USB cable (+5V).  You can just daisy-chain the grounds and the +5V inputs, but don't get them mixed up with your Ipac wiring!  It'd be wise to use different colored wiring for the lights just in case...  I should be putting this together soon, so I'll post a schematic of the wiring involved.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by 1026619200 »

Free resource for building your own rotating control panels!

My other job...