Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Sweet spot for monitor size?  (Read 2293 times)

Ghoul

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 15, 2004, 08:59:06 am
  • Karate Fish Master
Sweet spot for monitor size?
« on: August 01, 2002, 07:07:09 pm »
I'm thinking a comp monitor because it will be the easiest to set up and can be taken out and used for other purposes.

Anyway, what do you guys think the sweet spot is for monitor size in a two player cabinet?

For comps that narrows it down to 19" and 21", as I think that 17" would be too small and look dispraportionate inside the cabinet (I don't want one of those cabs where the monitor looks too small for the cab). Anyone with an opinion?

lightspeed

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 26, 2016, 07:48:35 pm
  • I want to Build My Own Arcade Controls!!
Re:Sweet spot for monitor size?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2002, 07:53:38 pm »
I used a 25" TV - honestly, I think it is a bit too big.    A 21" monitor would probably be just fine in a cab, especially if you can get a cheapy like a Eygo that has a real "poor" dot-pitch - these tend to look a lot more like true arcade monitors.  

Carsten Carlos

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 28, 2014, 05:06:25 am
  • Projects: Centipede extended, Asteroids
    • Carlos' Centipede-extended
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2002, 06:24:27 am »
Depending on the games you like - as I love the golden age games I go with a 19" monitor as this was most common those days.
But you should make it rotable if you wanna play vertical games in a satiesfying size - that's something that the 25" guys don't have to worry about.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2002, 02:04:25 am »
Big monitors are good now for one simple reason, the new artwork support in mame.  So far there's been about 50 bezels released and more on the way.... One a small display you can't really enable them and expect a playable size.  

Carsten Carlos

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 28, 2014, 05:06:25 am
  • Projects: Centipede extended, Asteroids
    • Carlos' Centipede-extended
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2002, 07:10:53 am »
far there's been about 50 bezels released and more on the way

Whee, that's indeed a cool feature I missed. Well, then you must have a real BIG monitor to still keep it up with 19" playfield, best would be a monitor that features the whole width of your cab.  :o