Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: WinCab Jukebox question...  (Read 7199 times)

RacerX

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 17, 2022, 12:06:34 pm
  • Longtime member, sometime poster.
WinCab Jukebox question...
« on: May 27, 2004, 09:30:54 am »
When you run WinCab jukebox, the mouse cursor is visible.  Is there a setting in the jukebox.ini file to make it invisible that I am missing?  When I run the program on my arcade cab, I just move the cursor to the edge of the screen so you can't see it, but I'm about to build a dedicated jukebox, and I won't have a mouse available to move it off screen on that so I really need to make it disappear somehow.

Last night, I even tried writing a wrapper in VB that makes the cursor invisible, runs JukeWin.exe, then makes the cursor visible again when you exit JukeWin.exe, but the cursor was still visible in WinCab, it was only invisible when mousing over the VB form.  So much for that idea.   :-\
« Last Edit: May 27, 2004, 09:32:35 am by RacerX »

Chris

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 21, 2019, 04:59:49 pm
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
Re:WinCab Jukebox question...
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2004, 01:24:04 pm »
I'm guessing you're using Windows XP?  I do turn off the cursor, but XP doesn't seem to honor it.  :(  This is an issue with the Allegro library that I'm using; I'll see if a more recent version gets around the problem, as I now have XP on my development machine.

Otherwise, if you're doing a dedicated jukebox, you could set the Windows cursor to blank, or perhaps to a single dot that you'll only see when you're looking for it.

If it's not XP, let me know what you're running...

--Chris

--Chris
DOSCab/WinCab Jukebox: http://www.dwjukebox.com

Thenasty

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:40:50 pm
    • Thenasty's Arcademania Horizontal/Vertical monitor setup.
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2004, 01:53:19 pm »
what about not hooking up a mouse. I don't remember if the pointer is visible when there are no mouse connected.
Thenasty's Arcademania Horizontal/Vertical setup.
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=26696.0

Free VGA Breakout Cable
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=38228.0

Ultimate All in One Coin Mech write up (Make your own)
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=19200.0

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2004, 02:02:03 pm »
I'm pretty sure it is....
--Chris

RacerX

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2004, 02:48:35 pm »
I'm guessing you're using Windows XP?  I do turn off the cursor, but XP doesn't seem to honor it.  :(  This is an issue with the Allegro library that I'm using; I'll see if a more recent version gets around the problem, as I now have XP on my development machine.

Otherwise, if you're doing a dedicated jukebox, you could set the Windows cursor to blank, or perhaps to a single dot that you'll only see when you're looking for it.

If it's not XP, let me know what you're running...

--Chris

Yes, sir.  I'm using XP.  Thanks very much for looking into this for me, and, duh, I don't know why I didn't think about just changing my mouse cursor to a period.  Thanks for the idea!

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2004, 04:36:53 pm »

Last night, I even tried writing a wrapper in VB that makes the cursor invisible, runs JukeWin.exe, then makes the cursor visible again when you exit JukeWin.exe, but the cursor was still visible in WinCab, it was only invisible when mousing over the VB form.  So much for that idea.   :-\

Hehe... learn about the windows interface.  A new cursor is created for every form in windows and control of said cursor can only be done locally (within the form or application).  This is so when you download a badly coded program and it doesn't restore the cursor upon exit, you don't have to restart windows.  :D

However, most programs draw the cursor from the current theme in windows.  So how you write a wrapper that your talking about is as follows.....  

1.  Make a new cursor scheme with all transparent cursors.  

2.  Write a module in vb to change the current cursor scheme.  

2b.  Write a module in vb to detect the current cursor scheme.

3.  Write a wrapper that records the current scheme, changes the scheme to the "blank" one you made, launches a program, and upon the program's exit, changes it back to the last scheme you recorded.  

However, this is DANGEROUS.  If your code is bad and for some reason the cursor doesn't change back, you'll have to boot into safe mode to get a cursor again and manually change the scheme back.  Also, sometimes safemode doesn't change the cursor, and then you'll have to hunt and peck to naviagte to the properties page.  

Hope that clarifies things,

HAC  

RacerX

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2004, 06:41:08 pm »
However, most programs draw the cursor from the current theme in windows.  So how you write a wrapper that your talking about is as follows.....  
<snipped>
HAC  

It appears that WinCab jukebox does not do this.  I just use the default Windows XP cursors.  But when I run WinCab jukebox, the cursor is slightly smaller and black in color.

In fact, Chris had suggested that I make my cursor a single dot, which I tried.  WinCab jukebox still changes the cursor to a small black arrow.

So while the method you suggest would work for most things, unfortunately, it won't work for this.

Thanks, though.

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2004, 08:51:51 am »
In fact, Chris had suggested that I make my cursor a single dot, which I tried.  WinCab jukebox still changes the cursor to a small black arrow.
If you're seeing the small black arrow, then it's a bug in my code.  I'm in the code right now; I'll see what I can find.

--Chris
--Chris

RacerX

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2004, 02:03:07 pm »
If you're seeing the small black arrow, then it's a bug in my code.  I'm in the code right now; I'll see what I can find.

--Chris

Thanks, boss.  I appreciate you looking into this.   :)

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2004, 09:17:33 am »
I found a solution to the problem; the fix should be in the next version.

--Chris
--Chris

RacerX

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2004, 12:49:45 pm »
I found a solution to the problem; the fix should be in the next version.

--Chris

You da man!