Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: PS2 vga question...pretty simple but still wanted to make sure!  (Read 2630 times)

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 21, 2004, 03:44:18 am
  • Banned for abusive postings.
okay i already know that ps2 dont output vga signal..but is there any way i get any better picture in a vga monitor using redant vga box..thats the only one came out i think..
also,why would redant release vga box if ps2 wont output vga signal..just ripping people maybe ???

i am using ps2 with rage fury pro AV input but if it looked any better using vga box then i will get one.the sadest part is that dreamcast looks better then ps2 when it comes to vga..ANY CLUE ANYONE???thanks to anyone who writes...

tom61

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 18, 2017, 12:46:56 am
Re:PS2 vga question...pretty simple but still wanted to make sure!
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2002, 04:27:54 pm »
The PS2 doesn't output VGA natively, like the Dreamcast does, or the GameCube can be hacked to do. The VGA adapters for it and other consoles (other than Dreamcast, and sometimes GameCube) are upscan converters. Usually they have a circuit that takes the composite or S-video and converts it to digital RGB, which is then sent another circuit that upscans it and outputs analog SVGA.

Each time a signal is converted it looses a little bit of quality. So, a PS2, or other console that needs to be upscaned, will never look as good as a Dreamcast on arcade monitor.

I've never used a Rage Fury Pro AV, so I can't comment on that exact configuration. However, I do have a TView 99 and the quality is about the same as as most converters. On slower computers, Pentiums, the VGA box wins hands down, as it never looses frames, but for PII+ systems a good capture card will be just as good.

If you want the best quality on your PC, use S-video instead of composite into your capture card.

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2002, 07:19:06 pm »
yeah...but my video card dont have s-video input.but here is the simple question..why redant sales these vga box for ps2?and they claim"ohh this magic box will make games run at higher resolution"hahaha...maybe they are just ripping people off?its very sad but TOM61...what you know about x-box outputing vga signal..i am thinking of getting another console and play some newer games.and nothing compares to how dreamcast look on vga..anyways..thanks for your reply..

tom61

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 18, 2017, 12:46:56 am
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2002, 03:49:11 pm »
Techincally, they do increase the resolution, by doing something called 'line doubling' when they up scan the signal. Depending on the game it will look better through the converter, since monitors don't suffer from color bleeding like most TVs do. (Some games, such as most Genesis games, look worse on a PC, since they have effects that take advantage of the color bleed on a TV)

X-Box can't natively output VGA, however it can output HDTV signals that can be transcoded to VGA. A transcoder takes component video and changes it to RGB. You'll have to look on a X-Box hacking site for more info.

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2002, 11:00:43 pm »
hmm...so dreamcast is the best when it comes to vga..anyways thanks for the answer and i might get the ps2 vga box...just to get and better display..;D

Dave_K.

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 06, 2022, 03:27:30 pm
    • Arcade Fever
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2002, 05:17:19 pm »
If you are looking for a "cheap" solution to upscan your PS2 to VGA, then the Redant is your box (although you will get a cheap looking picture).  If you want higher quality, you could get the X-RGB2 box (imported from Japan)...its input is a 21pin Japanese scart lead (rgb).  The quality is very close to professional as you can get.  It runs about $250 new (although used are going for $150-$200).  There is also an upgraded unit called the X-RGB2+ that will upscan a 480i component input as well.  Both boxes have great quality (I have the X-RGB2).

As to native progressive/vga output....the PS2's latest development  libraries will allow game developers to ouput 480p progressive (although at what other cost to the game I don't know).  Tekken4 takes advantage of this new library and is capable of 480p.  Hopefully more games will come out with the feature.  Of course then all you need is a transcoder as Tom mentioned to convert it to VGA.

-Dave