Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Hyperware's UltraCade  (Read 5244 times)

rampy

• *shrug*
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2007, 11:32:16 am
  • ...as useless as a JPG is to Helen Keller
    • Build Your Own PVR
Hyperware's UltraCade
« on: July 31, 2002, 09:38:51 pm »
ultracade.com

Sorry if this is old news/hat... but I just stumbled upon this ultracade thing...   it's interesting on a couple of levels...  Has anyone actually seen one of these in action?

I kinda wonder how much the gamepacks cost to get a feel for how much a "classic" rom image could be purchased for legitametly...

hmmm....  

Rampy

ps sorry if this would be better placed in everything else forum...  but I think it's relevant as it's kinda like a commercal equivalent to what we are doing in our basements/garages etc...

JustMichael

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 27, 2015, 01:19:40 am
  • Mmmmm!! Cheesecake!!
Re:Hyperware's UltraCade
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2002, 10:33:41 pm »
For some reason I am thinking $200+ per game pack but please check with your local distributor.  

~D10

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2002, 12:02:02 am »
I know a few people at one of the distributors listed for the Ultracade. I sent off an email asking about pricing and such. I will post their reply for the people that are interested. If they still even handle the item.

u_rebelscum

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2010, 03:06:26 pm
  • You rebel scum
    • Mame:Analog+
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2002, 01:07:45 am »

ultracade.com

Sorry if this is old news/hat... but I just stumbled upon this ultracade thing...   it's interesting on a couple of levels...  Has anyone actually seen one of these in action?

I kinda wonder how much the gamepacks cost to get a feel for how much a "classic" rom image could be purchased for legitametly...

hmmm....  

Rampy

ps sorry if this would be better placed in everything else forum...  but I think it's relevant as it's kinda like a commercal equivalent to what we are doing in our basements/garages etc...

I saw it at an arcade around here.  It was always in use, so I didn't try it.  The 20-somethings always were playing one StreetFighterII or another, and the 40-somethings played 1942/1943 the times I looked.  (A pacman/galaga cab was right next to it, which the 40-somethings were playing when the 20-somethings were playing SFIIxx.)

For some reason, I am thinking like JustMichael, $200, but I think they pooled most of the game packs into the cab, and now you pay to enable the packs (buy the password or something).  Before, each pack came on a different CD, which was easier to buy individually.  I haven't talked to them or anything, so I might be just reading the webpage wrong.

But be sure to read the license if you want to buy the packs so you can have the roms legally.  The license might say something able "only to be used on UltraCade" or something like that, which whould mean you couldn't play them on mame.  However, the UltraCade packs are licensed for money making use, so you could buy the whole cab + packs and legally make money on that cab (local laws depending).
Robin
Knowledge is Power

rampy

• *shrug*
  • Offline Offline
    • Build Your Own PVR
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2002, 11:00:03 am »
But be sure to read the license if you want to buy the packs so you can have the roms legally.  The license might say something able "only to be used on UltraCade" or something like that, which whould mean you couldn't play them on mame.  However, the UltraCade packs are licensed for money making use, so you could buy the whole cab + packs and legally make money on that cab (local laws depending).

Yeah... I realize that... I was more interested in establishing what the fair value of the ROMS were, if someday you could "micropayment" for a set of  galaga roms for home use directly from the intellectual property owner or clearinghouse or something... more of a hypothetical thought than an actual one on my part =P (i.e. I won't be picking either a ultracade or a rompack up anytime soon, me thinks)

rampy

AlanS17

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 02, 2019, 08:35:48 am
  • I won't even pretend to be clever...
    • AlanS17
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2002, 11:56:52 am »
If you want to own the ROM image just buy the PCB, you get a larger selection than Ultracae provides. General copyright law states that you can own a back-up copy of any copyrighted material. Further copyright law states that you can only use your copyrighted material one-at-a-time. So as long as you're using the MAME version of your game, you should be able to keep the PCB as the backup (for re-imaging purposes).

(at least in theory)

rampy

• *shrug*
  • Offline Offline
    • Build Your Own PVR
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2002, 08:56:23 pm »
yeah, but I wouldn't want a stack of PCB's just to be in the super ethical right... plus I wouldn't be using the whole pcb (just the rom chips theoretically) so why pay extra for all the circuits/etchings etc...

i.e.  I think it would be neat to be able to buy a license just for the roms for individual use (not a new idea... but me thinks a novel one)...

know what I mean...? *Shrug*

rampy

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 21, 2004, 03:44:18 am
  • Banned for abusive postings.
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2002, 02:48:02 am »
are you people telling you dont have the complete mame set installed in your computer or your cabinet? :)

now what did momma said>>"NEVER LIE SON". LOL !

also i think this ultracade thing is useless..

yeah...game pack for $200...play sf2 and pay $200..i  spend enough and i mean enough money on games.so its time i play for free ;D

i mean..i am still goin to arcade like all the time...

planetjay

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2019, 10:50:57 pm
  • Ex-Evil Admin Monkey.
    • planetjay.com
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2002, 11:16:44 pm »
Ultracade is not useless. It is a simple, easy, LEGAL way for places that have arcade machines to have alot more games for you to play.
planetjay.com. Still in Chicago. Still no hurricanes!

AlanS17

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 02, 2019, 08:35:48 am
  • I won't even pretend to be clever...
    • AlanS17
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2002, 05:05:49 pm »
Actually, I think you would need the complete PCB to be able to legally play the ROMs. Copyrighted info probably covers more than just ROM info. It probably also covers board design. After all, if all you needed was the ROM images then you wouldn't need MAME to emulate the environment. (I win.)  :P

As for arcade machines, I know a guy who bought the whole SF2 machine for $200. No reason to pay as much for a board as you would for the whole game. Boards are less than you think if you get them in the right place. In fact, my brother has 2 uprights and he's just collecting boards now to switch out.

Plus if anybody has ever heard of Multi-JAMMA then they know how useful those boards can be!!!  ;D

John

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 07, 2004, 06:03:19 pm
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2002, 03:37:53 am »
I saw one of these UltraCade at CAExtreme at San Jose last year.  It was really great actually.  The games that it emulates looks and feels more like the original arcade (for some reason even on MAME I still have a hard time getting the speed right)  

I asked the rep there about the emulation.  They designed their own pc and put it in a box (basically like what we are all trying to do here) the difference is they wrote their own emulator (maybe loosely based on mame) and they use the voodoo card for video.  When it comes down to it, it's another pc2jamma conversion that has legal roms and mechanism to charge per pay.  

I'd buy one but it's pricy.  I think it starts around 3k.  But then again, I'm at 1800 now and that's just buying the controls and the cab (no pc yet) so when it's all done I'd be looking at around 2500.

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2023, 09:22:35 pm
  • The Bears Still Suck!
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2002, 04:43:38 am »
Really?  It's costing you that much?  I'd say I have about $600-$700 invested in my cabinet.  Take a look at it on my site.

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 21, 2004, 03:44:18 am
  • Banned for abusive postings.
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2002, 12:04:22 pm »
REALLY???

$2500 for a cab :P

mine ran about $1000 because i got a dreamcast,psx,ps2 and god know what kinda extra add on i have over here..its like all all in ONE.and ofcourse the PC.

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2023, 09:22:35 pm
  • The Bears Still Suck!
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2002, 12:22:17 am »

Ultracade is not useless. It is a simple, easy, LEGAL way for places that have arcade machines to have alot more games for you to play.

Right, this is marketted for a business, not the home user.
This is actaully a good idea.  It doesn't cost that much after you think about it.  You are not only paying for the cabinet and games, you are paying for the technical support and warranty stuff.  For a business owner, that is well worth it.

Dave_K.

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 06, 2022, 03:27:30 pm
    • Arcade Fever
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2002, 01:29:10 pm »
Rampy, there is another thread discussing this as well in the Software Forum:
http://www.arcadecontrols.org/yabbse/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=2533
You can play the most popular roms legally using Digital Eclipse's emulator and game packs ($9.99).  They make game packs for Williams, Atari, and Midway games.  I have the Williams one, and the license agreement doesn't prohibit "public performance" so you could make money off these if you wanted.   A much cheaper solution than ultracade.  Go to the Digital Eclipse website and you will see they make many classic game packs for PC and Consoles.  Playing these roms legally isn't as expensive as everyone thinks.

-Dave

rampy

• *shrug*
  • Offline Offline
    • Build Your Own PVR
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2002, 02:29:10 pm »
Thanks Dave_K

I was following that thread for a bit, but then it became near unreadable as a holy war had broken out. =P

That's a great way to get legal roms.. I'm still waiting for the golden goose of micropayments and a super clearinghouse where you can ala carte buy the images/license/rights (at leasst for home use)

*shrug*

rampy

Magnet_Eye

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 11, 2020, 09:26:19 pm
  • Feel the heat?
    • Web Hosting deals for BYOAC Users!
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2002, 04:38:01 pm »
I have played UltraCade in a few different arcades, I think it's pretty cool. They have a cool FE on it. You use the joystick to move up and down through marquee images, i think it displays like 5 at a time. When you are on a selected marquee, to the right is an animated screen shot showing gameplay. Pretty cool. Then you just hit the start button to play.

I played Ghost & Goblins, Black Tiger and a bunch of others on the last UltraCade I found. But paying 50 cents-$1.00 is discouraging. oh well, the 80's are over.  :'(
I offer discounted WEB HOSTING to BYOAC members! Only $2.49 a month for a FULL FEATURED account! www.cloud9media.com