Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: ACT LABS Gun Questions Answered  (Read 4371 times)

ACT_LABS_Brandon

• Trade Count: (0)
ACT LABS Gun Questions Answered
« on: May 01, 2002, 08:59:27 am »
Hey all, I thought it'd be cool to answer some of the questions you had regarding our new USB PC Light Gun. I've also included some comments and quoted from past posts I've read.

[OOPS, just realized my original message was too long so I've cut it into 2 posts, sorry) :)

1UP - "Also, he's told me not to expect to see a 2-player version anytime this year."
#### The problem with 2 player support relates to the technology we use as we cannot properly get the targeting data for 2 USB gun devices simultaneously. The gun as you know chains off the VGA video card output jack and only one can be connected at a time. So unfortunately the present USB Gun will not include 2 player support but we understand that there is interest for 2-player simultaneous gun action so we will continue our study on this.

ARAMIS - "The design, It doesn't work with TV-out or TV's in general."
#### The version we are offering now, you are right is for PC to Monitor output only (or also CRT based TV's that have a DB15 VGA connection). However, we will be offering a separate version of the USB Gun, call it the PCTV unit that will function off the TV-Out jack on your video card (either S-Video or RCA composite) and then connect to your TV via a composite video cable.

LILWOLF - "Last, every click you get a flash of white on the screen thats annoying."
#### That relates to the technology. We need to flash the screen for 1 video frame to ensure we can pickup the gun shot location accurately. While the GunCon in the calibration screen can be tracked real-time, you'll notice that in-game (ie. Point Blank for example on the PS2) the screen does in fact still flash very quickly. Our gun technology could track the weapon real-time but the screen environment needs to be significantly bright. For example, if the screen was all white we would be able to track the gun position real-time. The USB Gun model though forces a 1 video frame flash to ensure we can capture the accurate shot location even in the darkest video display scenario.

K-SPIFF - "As far as compatibility with TV-out video cards, I doubt they'll fix it.."
#### Our PCTV version will have full blown TV out support for any CRT based TV, rear projection TV, etc. It is a separate product that is for PC to TV use only, no monitor support. Why? Because if we supported both PC and PC to TV support on one model we'd have to duplicate the electronics components twice in the unit and the cost would be jacked up to over double. So we figured by offering 2 separate versions we could instead make a different offering to meet the gamer's requirement.

XIAOU2 - "Hopefully the next guns will have an optional feedback coil in them."
#### We've been studying this too... some sort of solenoid based recoil mechanism or even an air compressor powered kickback would definitely be cool :) It will jack the price of the unit but ACT LABS has traditionally been focused on the hardcore gamers so I wouldn't say it will never happen :) For cool replica guns I also suggest you check out this site for some of their models :)
http://www.3psa.com

[NEXT POST CONTINUED]

Brandon Crick
VP of Development
ACT LABS
http://www.act-labs.com
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by 1026619200 »

Lilwolf

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2022, 10:26:34 pm
Re: ACT LABS Gun Questions Answered
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2002, 09:07:31 am »
Additional questions Brandon answered for me (posted in other thread... but reposted here).

I have a b-grade EYGO VGA monitor (640x480x60hz max, 27" monitor).  The old
gun system didn't work well on it at all (I believe because I could see the
flash of white didn't draw fast enough.  I could never shoot in the top left
corner on that monitor.  Should I expect the same?

#### It should work much better with the new USB version. The resolution output will be a maximum of 640x480 at 60Hz I recall and you should be able to tweak the alignment output through your video card driver to properly align the white screen to fill the entire monitor viewing area. We have a calibration feature on the new USB gun that is real-time meaning you can calibrate the gun inside the game you are playing. By turning the right side gun switch to the ON position it will fill the monitor with a white screen, you then scan the gun horizontally and vertically over the monitor to setup the gun shot extents. I've attached a small image animation below to illustrate how it works.

Is there a return policy if they don't work on my monitor?

#### Definitely, we have a 30 day money back guarantee along with a 1 year warranty for the product. So if you are unsatisfied in anyway you can return the gun to us for a full refund. It sounds though the gun should work fine with your setup.

Zipper

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 26, 2022, 12:32:50 pm
  • I've Built My Own Arcade Controls!!
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2002, 03:13:11 am »
Sounds good.
Brandon - can you answer me a question?
Will the gun work when the monitor is behind a sheet of glass? Most cabinets, including mine, have a glass bezel infront of the monitor.
I'm thinking of glare/interference from the glass.
Could you test it for me if possible. Usually the monitors are about 2 or 3 inches behind the glass.

Thanks.

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2023, 09:22:35 pm
  • The Bears Still Suck!
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2002, 11:31:46 am »

LILWOLF - "Last, every click you get a flash of white on the screen thats annoying."
#### That relates to the technology. We need to flash the screen for 1 video frame to ensure we can pickup the gun shot location accurately. While the GunCon in the calibration screen can be tracked real-time, you'll notice that in-game (ie. Point Blank for example on the PS2) the screen does in fact still flash very quickly. Our gun technology could track the weapon real-time but the screen environment needs to be significantly bright. For example, if the screen was all white we would be able to track the gun position real-time. The USB Gun model though forces a 1 video frame flash to ensure we can capture the accurate shot location even in the darkest video display scenario.

Small price to pay for convenience.

Hey, what about a 2 button version of the gun?  Some games [in mame] use two buttons on the gun like operation wolf.

Lilwolf

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2022, 10:26:34 pm
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2002, 12:00:13 pm »
hehe... SirPoonga

The question was about trying to find out if they will work with my EYGO monitor.  The old ones would flash, but you could see that the flash wasn't centered and down (because of the crappy refresh maybe)

he then stated for another question that there is now a config utility that will probably help that.

crossing fingers

ACT_LABS_Brandon

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2002, 12:12:38 pm »
Ya the key is there is a calibration switch on the right side of the gun that allows you calibrate the gun real-time while you are in the game. That way it sets the gun up for the specific resolution and refresh rate you are playing the game in.

There are 2 button functions on the gun actually since the trigger reports as a left mouse button and the left side gun button reports as a right mouse button.

So what you can do is config the controls to shoot -> Mouse Button 0, and then reload -> Mouse button 1.

I'll check on the glass question but from talking with the engineers here it shouldn't be a problem and function just like guns do in the arcade.

Thanks!

Brandon Crick
ACT LABS

Rasher

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2002, 02:31:48 am »
Ok, so basically (specifically) this is what I want in a future light gun package:

- Two (Count 'em 2) Guns
    (Cause thats what gun games are really about yes?)
- In the shape of magnums
    (Or something - whats with these rayguns?)
- With 3 buttons each
    (Trigger, just above left thumb, left side muzzle)
- Kickin with Force Feedback
    (It just aint no gun without it!)
- On the end of 2.5m (minimum) lengthy cables
    (You're not sitting on your TV are you?)
- Plugged in with one USB cable
    (Solves the two USB cable problemo)
- Connected to a TV with a TV feedthru cable
    (Shoot at your widescreen, not your tiny ass monitor)

And there you have it. I am the consumer. You are the producer. I talk. You listen. Make it so.

So you're gonna have to put up with the white flash syndrome. Big deal. But hey, you're standing there with a gun in each hand, pointin em at your TV cappin off bad muthas left right and centre. What could be better than that?

Somebody patent it quick. We'll be rich I tells ya. The guns could be made in different colours for different packs. Blue n pink? Green n yellow? How about just black and black. Hell, they could even chuck in a couple of duck/reload pedals. Hell yeah thats what I'm sayin...

Bob Sanders

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2002, 11:24:44 pm »
HOw about shaped like berreta and a pair for some honk kong john woo action.

THe pedal would be cool too

how about gold color and metal for delux or something

mAdSmuRf

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 05, 2012, 09:17:22 pm
  • Eat More Chicken!
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2002, 10:48:43 pm »
Heh, I have a 41" Projection VGA monitor... you think it'll work in that ;)

mS

ACT_LABS_Brandon

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2002, 07:58:01 am »
maDSmuRf, is your projection VGA monitor CRT based? If so then it should work fine.

Brandon Crick
ACT LABS

ArcadeFX

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 10, 2004, 11:16:56 pm
  • All the Dude ever wanted was his rug back!
    • ArcadeFX
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2002, 09:52:08 am »
I preordered two guns a few weeks ago. Plan to sell the other to a friend.

Is there any update on when they will ship Bradon?