Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: GameEx 9.77 Released, Happy Holidays!  (Read 1855 times)

headkaze

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 14, 2023, 02:00:48 am
  • 0x2b|~0x2b?
GameEx 9.77 Released, Happy Holidays!
« on: December 22, 2008, 08:45:59 am »
From Tom Speirs the author of GameEx:

With perfect timing for the holidays, I am very pleased to release this version of GameEx. It contains two major enhancements and various small fixes and changes that I won't mention here.

First of all image lists have been implemented in GameEx. You can now view game lists and other pages as an image list giving a thumbnail display. To access the image list you need to be running a version 3 or 4 theme, and to access the view either change in the configuration applications or hit the Change View menu item. In this release the view is remembered for restart. I think you will like this new feature, and I think it fits in really well with GameEx. It should work well on both cabs and media centers, and it also looks great when the display is rotated. It will display a thumb of videos, and will cache this but it takes time to get the frame, so I recommend you ensure you also have image based snaps setup for your systems and MAME.

The other improvement is enhanced database support. When on the game information page, you are given menu options to find "more" games with the same developer, year, or category. This effectively links all systems together, and there is also now an All Games list available. Any database caching issues have been resolved, and this really does make GameEx the ultimate repository for when you have many systems.

Here are some notes from Flash on this new feature.

"Along with the new improved game database support much work has been done on the current databases to aid the overal functionality.

These databases have been improved/modified, some more than others.

Atari Jaguar (nearly complete)
Vectrex
Supergrafix
Pc Engine
Nintendo 64 (complete)
Super Nintendo
Nintendo Gameboy
Sega Saturn
Virtual Boy
Commodore 64 (very early stages, 20,000 games)
Sinclir ZX81 and Spectrum.

For these to work correctly they rely on your romsets to follow one of these naming conventions, Tosec, No-Into, GoodName.

To go hand-in-hand with the new "More:" feature, both Publisher and Developer fields have been modified across ALL databases. To make the matching easier certain concessions have been made. Examples are: All Sony subdivisions are listed as "Sony Computer Entertainment", Rockstar is just Rockstar Games (no Rockstar North, Rockstar Tokyo, etc). You will see the reason for this when using GameEx and this does make it a lot easier to bring up a FULL list of games by a favorite Developer (I.e. Rare, Treasure) rather than having several entries for the same developer. I hope this is acceptable to all as we felt that the benefits far outwieghed the loss of software divisions.

You will find that some games may not appear in the More: lists as expected. This is not a fault with GameEx; but rather a problem of incomplete databases. As the databases get more and more complete, the issue will become less and less. When they are all done (and trust me - I am doing my best) all games will match across the board including Publishers, Manufacturers, Years, Genres.

If you do find any genuine miss-information within the databases; please pm me, I won't take offence and any help to get them closer to the overal goal would be deemed a benefit by me.

Remember to download the latest databases!"

Many thanks to flash for his diligent work on the databases, and also for his testing and ensuring the quality of this release.

Merry Christmas, and Happy Holidays.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 09:00:31 pm by headkaze »

Space Fractal

• Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2023, 11:32:13 am
  • Space Fractal
    • Space Fractal
Re: GameEx 9.77 Released, Happy Holidays!
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 06:03:57 pm »
How do the database works? I can't find any info how to download these, or are they included in the GameEX or can been downloaded seperate? I hope they are xml, so they can been used in all FE's that want to use them to show info.

Any way I can use them in MultiFE without using a MS database, which I could use the database system to insert year and company info to goodtools roms? I wont use MS dll calls on this one, since MultiFE is sooner or later ported to Linux.

I created my own FE (expanded MultiJuke) due to various reasons, example 1942 was shown 3 times which take a lots of place in a list, which I really dislike. If I use the "only parent" feature, some games would not been playable, example Pacman (puckman) and 2 player TMNT (which is default set to 4 player TMNT, but I have only 2 players on my CP).

Decade Old Work: MultiFE, ArcadeMusicBox
Today Works: Various Spectrum Next games from Rusty Pixels and html5 games.

headkaze

• Offline Offline
  • 0x2b|~0x2b?
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 09:09:42 pm »
The databases are not available for use outside of GameEx I'm afraid as there has been alot of work involved in creating them including a substancial database management application I wrote to create them as well as a tonne of manual data entry work done by Flash. I believe Tom wants to keep this a GameEx only feature for now. This of course might change in the future if we can all agree to make them public one day. Sorry about that Space Fractal :(

Space Fractal

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Space Fractal
    • Space Fractal
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 09:43:08 pm »
why not? Its a public project, created by users of GameEx after my mind (which is NOT a bad thing). I think I should ask Tom.

Elsewice good work.

headkaze

• Offline Offline
  • 0x2b|~0x2b?
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 10:40:25 pm »
why not? Its a public project, created by users of GameEx after my mind (which is NOT a bad thing). I think I should ask Tom.

Elsewice good work.

Space Fractal as the manager of the GameEx Database Project I can assure you it's not a public project. In all honesty Tom has no direct involvement with the creation of the databases; they have been created by Flash and myself using custom software I have written. If you have any more questions your welcome to PM me about it and I can explain things in more detail for you.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 10:57:10 pm by headkaze »

Space Fractal

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Space Fractal
    • Space Fractal
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2008, 07:32:01 am »
check PM.

Darn these closed projects  :embarassed:, but good luck Elsewise  :D  :applaud:.

I do respect that, so I do not add these access files directly to MultiFE.

I do hope someone convert them to clrmame dat files with can fit these databases (except some extendend descriptions). I wont do that myself, so I respect that and nor want to link to these files, if they got pirated.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 07:33:32 am by Space Fractal »