Main > Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Forum

Automate The Ripping Process For MP3's - PDF AVAILABLE - NEW Fresh Scent!

<< < (2/5) > >>

JackTucky:
This program is working for me to get album cover art for free from amazon.com.  

You have to sign up for a free web services account from amazon.

It's all freeware.

I use EAC to copy the CD and create the directory, then go into album art downloader, click search, and 9 out of 10, it gets the right cover art.  If it doesn't, I remove the title of the album and search by artist, and then  I can usually find what I need, or something generic enough.

Check it out.

http://louhi.kempele.fi/~skyostil/projects/albumart/

Art

RetroBorg:

--- Quote from: DrewKaree on September 23, 2004, 08:10:17 pm ---   *edit*
thanks for the question...I added/modified to answer that question now...but for a bit more detail:

I'd go with "Constant".  Why?  There's always the SLIGHT possibility that wherever you may take your songs to may not deal well with VBR, whereas constant can be decoded with any boombox-type mp3 player.  If they'll always stay on the same computer as they were encoded on, VBR is a space saver, that's all, and you MAY lose some information...so I'd say constant is the best all-around.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for your reply DrewKaree, after I asked you the question on variable or constant I found this on the web:

What is the difference between Varaible and Constant Bit Rates?
Some audio passages are more difficult to encode than others. To maintain Constant Bit Rate (CBR) during encoding, difficult passages (where you need more bits for the complexity) and easy passages (that conceivably need less bits) encode at the same fixed bit rate. By maintaining a constant bit rate, you force the quality of the CBR operation to vary according to the complexity of the audio file.

However, with that same difficult audio passage, the Variable Bit Rate (VBR) operation forces the quality level and allows bit rate to vary instead. Difficult passages encoded using VBR allows a higher than average bit rate and during easy passages VBR allows a lower than average bit rate. The net result is that VBR produces an overall higher, more consistent quality level compared to CBR at similar bit rates.

In other words, if you set your files to encode with CBR and the files need more or less bits to vary with the complexity of the piece

DrewKaree:

--- Quote from: RetroBorg on September 24, 2004, 03:23:34 am ---Thanks for your reply DrewKaree, after I asked you the question on variable or constant I found this on the web:  
--- Code: ---removed for brevity
--- End code ---
After reading this I'm leaning towards variable but I understand the likelyhood of the MP3's running on other hardware is decreased. I have an old DVD player and I know it won't play variable but it also won't play burnt DVD's on any sort so I intend to update this anyway.
--- End quote ---
DVD's are a whole different beast - you MAY be able to play burned DVD's on it, but you may have it in the wrong format to be compatible with most set-top units....I believe there are 3+ (I think there's actually ~5 right now) formats under which to burn DVD's, and only ONE will work with almost anything you have, including old players!
  All of the rest are proprietary in some fashion or another.

RetroBorg:
Yeah my DVD player is really old and only reads DVD Ram discs, I found this out when I first bought my DVD burner when I burnt on every blank DVD format available, I then looked up my player on the net and found out what I had already discovered and that was it is DVD Ram only.

kortney:
I sent my CD collection (215 CDs) to a company called "Get Digital" (http://www.get-digital.net).  They ripped all of my CDs onto DVDs for $2/CD and they came back quickly and perfectly.  They can rip CDs in any CODEC and any Bitrate.  The coolest thing is the album that they send along with the DVDs.  It shows the cover art and all the tracks next to each album.  Pretty cool stuff and they make the process effortless.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version