Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: "illegal posts"  (Read 3554 times)

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 07:27:18 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
"illegal posts"
« on: July 28, 2002, 02:59:41 pm »
Ive now had two threads removed by planet jay for having links to illegal items.
I did everything I could to keep the posts and the ebay auction perfectly legal. I did not have the phrase "roms not included" because the word roms triggers ebay's spider search and will 90% of the time have your auction cancelled (this is what happened last time to me)

There is nothing illegal about my cabinet in anyway, the PC software Im included has never even been installed (and I cant violate a EULA if I havent been an end user yet)

So please any mod out there tell me what Im doing wrong?!? I have to get rid of this mame machine because I can not afford to take it to Texas with me, I dont have the room or money to do so.

a reply as soon as possible is greatly appriciated.
Malenko
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

Grasshopper

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 08, 2023, 07:20:31 am
  • life, don't talk to me about life
Re:"illegal posts"
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2002, 05:03:03 pm »
I'm wondering whether the legal status of end user license agreements has ever been tested in court.

When you buy something a contract is made between the buyer and seller at the time of purchase. By forcing users to agree to a license agreement as part of the installation process companies like Microsoft are effectively trying to change the contract after it has already been made.

In any case only someone with a law degree and a lot of free time could understand a typical EULA. This can't be fair.

Also does a mouse click carry the same legal weight as a signature? I doubt it.

I wonder whether big software companies are just trying it on. I wish someone with resources would call their bluff.

I'm not a lawyer by the way, so I might be talking nonsense....
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel." - Samuel Johnson

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2002, 05:06:15 pm »
*UPDATE*

wow, post is removed from the B/S/T forum and magically ebay cancels my auction again. interesting timing....

Anyway, I have no idea how to state that my auction is legal without using words that trigger ebay's searchbot (NO ROMS will trigger it, and so will  NO PIRATED SOFTWARE)

If my auction is legal and I link to it, I dont see the problem.

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 21, 2004, 03:44:18 am
  • Banned for abusive postings.
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2002, 07:20:31 pm »
malenko

when i sold one machine..i wrote it simple....

DUE TO EBAY RULES,I CANT INCLUDE THE GAMES.HOWEVER THE GAMES WILL STILL BE HERE TILL BUYER COMES AND TEST THE MACHINE AND THEN WE WILL REMOVE THEM.

thats what i saw at some other mame machine auction and did same with mine.

also you cant write "why buy only one machine when you can play all the games in one machine"this leads to an understanding that many many games are pireted and installed in there.this includes windows based games too.just write> this machine is capable of playing all the games.anyone who is bidding already knows its a mame machine so they would buy it even if you did not include the games.also take a picture of that legal capcom cd you got with your hotrod.that will explain thats only the legal stuff is there.i sold a machine without any problem.although since you are in new york,i know it will be hard to sell.because not many people interested in mame here(i dont even know anyone who knows about emulators).i sold it to a guy and he thinks this machine played only one game then when he came to pick it up he started crying(almost)...OH MY GOD.how great is this machine.so do what i said and you will sell and dont bother posting here..i dont think there will be anyone who would actually buy it from here.just my thoughts.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 11:59:54 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2002, 01:12:13 am »
Ok how selfish are you guys exactly?  Is making a buck off of selling your junk really more important than keeping this site up?  

The moderators of this site are being very careful so that game manufacturers or others won't shut them down.  I can't believe that you guys ae so self-centered that you'll sit here and b*tch about getting your greyly illegal posts deleted. We have to be careful as emulation is in the main stream now and sites are getting closed left and right.  Mame.dk was closed by midway.  They offered to remove the midway roms but midway pressured them to remove ALL of the roms.  If enough illegal posts (including links to illegal items) are found on this site then similar muscle tactics can occur.  So if you have an ebay auction that's not legal then it's your business just don't bother to link to it from this site.  If all your interested in is making money then I suggest you leave this message board.

I've seen the posts you guys refer to... according to the descriptions either you are dishonest salesmen or you are selling roms. Either way no one in their right mind would condone that type of sales pitch.  

And the eula of 99.9% of the products out there basically say this is a one time, one copy no transferrable lease of this software.  In other words, no resale period!  ONLY official resellers can sell those sticks with the rom dics or it's illegal, period.  How hard is this to understand?  The only?  The illegal part?  Maybe all of those big words?    

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 21, 2004, 03:44:18 am
  • Banned for abusive postings.
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2002, 01:58:40 am »
see....thats why i suggest you dont even post your message here...after all..non of us want somthing similer as mame.dk....

because 1st there wont be anyone who would offer to buy your machine(BECAUSE I SAID SO) and it involves the risk of gettin site closed.

why am i so sure..because when i was about to sell one of mine..i posted and no reply ever.i only had pick up so thats why maybe..anyhoos malenko i am still interested in the monitor if you dont get enough money by selling the machine..my offer is  $200...AIM message me if you wanna sell..thanks..

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2002, 02:31:52 am »
howard: I didnt expect such hostility.  The purpose of this post was to better define the legal area of posting. I dont plan on linking to my ebay auctions (unless Im selling one of the MANY PCBs I own). I am not selling the roms and I was trying to be as honest as possible. I had the phrase "original store bought CDs not pirated copies" and that phrase is why e-bay removed it. The games are in their shrink wrap still (bargin bin hunting at EB) besides I dont consider them being sold with the cabinet but rather given away as a free added bonus.

The purpose of selling my mame cabinet is not to make money but to get rid of it because I am moving 2000 miles away and cant bring it with me. The guys at customarcade(?) are he ones flooding the ebay market with manufactered for MAME cabs, not me. If the hot rod games cant come with the cab so be it, I will not include them. And thank you for telling me, since thats what this thread is all about, finding out what can and cannot be posted.

Please note that rather then post the auction again in the buy sell trade forum I posted here, the forum I thought was the right one to ask a reasonable question. As for MAME.DK I actually contributed money when possible and downloaded very few roms from them, but I knew it was too good to last :/

I can only wonder how this would have turned out if I never stated that ebay cancleed my auction in the first place?

T

JustMichael

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 27, 2015, 01:19:40 am
  • Mmmmm!! Cheesecake!!
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2002, 01:04:39 pm »
What's legal and what's not legal quite often have nothing to do with a lawsuit at all.  Companies will use a lawsuit to simply make someone stop what they are doing.  If you don't have the thousands of dollars to pay legal fess what else can you do?

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2002, 05:30:04 pm »
I dont plan on posting to the machine anymore, and the only reason I did in the first place is because I saw other have and figured every littl ebit of exposure helps.

I digress