Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Monitor Problems ... =(  (Read 1204 times)

Ovalblue

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 18, 2014, 03:24:08 pm
Monitor Problems ... =(
« on: July 03, 2005, 11:51:21 pm »
Well I finally did it... i built my MAME cabinet, wired it all up, turned it on... and what happens?  My arcade monitor is all jacked!  Thats what I get for not testing the monitor before hand. 

The monitor makes a weird high pitched "hummm" sound, I am having a hard time configuring the screen to show the picture (the picture below is the best I can get it), and lastly... it has major green burn problem on the bottom right of the monitor.

Hopefully its just my noobie ignorance but can this be fixed and if so is it worth it or shoudl I just buy a new monitor.

BTW... this is a 27" monitor I purchased on ebay 2 years ago (brand unknown), used it for a street fight cabinet, trashed the cabinet and have had te monitor in storage for a year or so... hence why I didnt think about testing the monitor since it worked --BINGO! Either that, or I was attempting to say "before" but it was too many letters to type--.

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2021, 12:25:59 am
  • Technician
Re: Monitor Problems ... =(
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2005, 11:55:12 pm »
Aracde monitors are CGA (a.k.a. 'standard') resolution. You are trying to drive it with a horizontal frequency out of it's range. You will damage the monitor if you leave it that way.

Ovalblue

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 18, 2014, 03:24:08 pm
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2005, 11:56:31 pm »
I have an ArcadeVGA card, shouldnt it be ok?

Gareth712

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 04, 2005, 01:18:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2005, 01:15:10 pm »
If you are running XP when you installed the AVGA card windows will load its own driver for the card so it won't work, you have to use the one on the Cd rom that came with the card and don't use a res greater then 640X480, also make sure that the monitor is set to standard res I know that my WG U5000 has a jumper on the board for stand or med res.