Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: MAMEWAH most wanted...  (Read 17503 times)

Magnet_Eye

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 11, 2020, 09:26:19 pm
  • Feel the heat?
    • Web Hosting deals for BYOAC Users!
Re:MAMEWAH most wanted...
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2004, 08:59:19 am »
Sorry to interrupt, but I have been wondering about this for a while now, and I just can't seem to find the right front end to do what I am after...What I am thinking, and let me know if I am streching here, is that it would be nice if there existed a program that would fetch a cold beer for me during intense gameplay, cuz man when I am into it, no way I want to run to the fridge, you know? Maybe a button on my cab that would signal my girlfriend or fire up some sirens and lights so someone in the house knows I need another cold one PRONTO! Hell, maybe we can have it conected to my wireless network and a robot could fetch my brews, since the people in my house are lazy.

Would this be possible in the next release of MAMEWAH?  ???

Thanks for your time.  ;)

PS - This just gave me an idea, how about where the coin doors usually go, there is a dispenser for canned beverages...so, like the bottom half of the cab is a refrigeration unit/soda dispenser. But I could stock it with beer, and just hit a button on my cab, and a cold one drops down for me on demand! Woa....I think i am onto something!  :D

I offer discounted WEB HOSTING to BYOAC members! Only $2.49 a month for a FULL FEATURED account! www.cloud9media.com

Minwah

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2019, 05:03:20 am
    • MAMEWAH
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2004, 09:44:30 am »
Sorry to interrupt, but I have been wondering about this for a while now, and I just can't seem to find the right front end to do what I am after...What I am thinking, and let me know if I am streching here, is that it would be nice if there existed a program that would fetch a cold beer for me during intense gameplay, cuz man when I am into it, no way I want to run to the fridge, you know? Maybe a button on my cab that would signal my girlfriend or fire up some sirens and lights so someone in the house knows I need another cold one PRONTO! Hell, maybe we can have it conected to my wireless network and a robot could fetch my brews, since the people in my house are lazy.

PS - This just gave me an idea, how about where the coin doors usually go, there is a dispenser for canned beverages...so, like the bottom half of the cab is a refrigeration unit/soda dispenser. But I could stock it with beer, and just hit a button on my cab, and a cold one drops down for me on demand! Woa....I think i am onto something!  :D

You build the hardware and I'll add support to MAMEWAH ;)  :D

hulkster

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 05, 2021, 04:27:59 pm
  • HulkaMAMEia is runnin' wild!
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2004, 10:17:19 am »

hey great idea!  this can go along with my midget/girls with huge boobs idea!  no i dont have an infatuation with midgets or anything gross....i just thought midgets doing cartwheels would be funny...and yes...it would be.

btoddkelley

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2013, 04:52:05 pm
  • I want to Build My Own Arcade Controls!!
« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2004, 10:24:17 am »

That's how I have it at the moment I think, just wondered how most people would want it.  I only have a 2 player panel but personally I only need the 'next' button as I use 3 emulators...

You only have a 2 player panel????!!!How can you fully experience the wonders of mame (and mamewah) with ONLY A 2 PLAYER PANEL???!!! I thought this was Build Your Own BIG Arcade Controls! Would you like me to send you some extra buttons? A joystick? ;D

Todd
For it is not enough to have a good mind, rather the main thing is to apply it well.

- Descartes

hulkster

• Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2004, 10:40:11 am »
minwah -
is there a estimated release date of this build?  

Minwah

• Offline Offline
    • MAMEWAH
« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2004, 11:47:40 am »
You only have a 2 player panel????!!!How can you fully experience the wonders of mame (and mamewah) with ONLY A 2 PLAYER PANEL???!!! I thought this was Build Your Own BIG Arcade Controls! Would you like me to send you some extra buttons? A joystick? ;D

LOL, personally I have no desire to ever have a 4-player panel  :P  The only 4 player game I really like is Gauntlet...

Not sure yet.  I actually did quite a lot of stuff yesterday, but I have a couple of tricky (ie time consuming) things to do.  If the weather is bad enough then it might be done this week...if it is nice maybe not  8)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2004, 11:48:48 am by Minwah »

Superdude

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 22, 2016, 11:53:48 am
  • Mo' Betta Butter with da Betta Playa'
« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2004, 12:23:59 pm »
2 Suggestions:
1) Random Movie (AVI or MPEG) Screensaver
2) Logging of games played, ala Advance Menu with a screen that pops up that lists stats.  This would be Randomly displayed during the screensaver.  (Kinda like High Score Board)

hulkster

• Offline Offline
« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2004, 12:41:20 pm »

LOL, personally I have no desire to ever have a 4-player panel  :P  The only 4 player game I really like is Gauntlet...

Not sure yet.  I actually did quite a lot of stuff yesterday, but I have a couple of tricky (ie time consuming) things to do.  If the weather is bad enough then it might be done this week...if it is nice maybe not  8)

cool....so is the merging of roms from different emu's in one list feasible at all?  you said it would be complicated, but is it feasible?  i mean, id like to have my daphne games in my arcade folder, etc.  is this possible?

TimO

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 15, 2004, 12:09:06 pm
    • TimO Productions
« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2004, 01:38:38 pm »
Here's another suggestion, maybe some more sound options? Like bass, treble, or anything else that would be usefull  ;D

screaming

• Sweet! I'mma go make me some popovers!
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 14, 2019, 03:15:34 pm
  • Registered lUser
    • shift eight (*) generation
« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2004, 02:21:13 pm »
Here's another suggestion, maybe some more sound options? Like bass, treble, or anything else that would be usefull  ;D

All that stuff is controlled through Windows' audio properties and the sound mixer.  If your sound card and sound card driver supports it, you'll have these options your Control Panel -> Sounds and Multimedia window.

/steve

Magnet_Eye

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 11, 2020, 09:26:19 pm
  • Feel the heat?
    • Web Hosting deals for BYOAC Users!
« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2004, 06:19:39 pm »
How about a built in MP3 player with all the basic controls so I can crank out the Van Halen and FALCO when I play!?

I offer discounted WEB HOSTING to BYOAC members! Only $2.49 a month for a FULL FEATURED account! www.cloud9media.com

Minwah

• Offline Offline
    • MAMEWAH
« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2004, 06:52:52 pm »
2 Suggestions:
1) Random Movie (AVI or MPEG) Screensaver
2) Logging of games played, ala Advance Menu with a screen that pops up that lists stats.  This would be Randomly displayed during the screensaver.  (Kinda like High Score Board)

1) The release after next with any luck.  Thanks to David Butler (MAMEWAH Setup) for recently pointing me in the right direction :)

2) Well you can log games for the purpose of most frequently / longest played.  See the Custom List Type option...can't be used in screensaver tho :(

Minwah

• Offline Offline
    • MAMEWAH
« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2004, 06:54:01 pm »
cool....so is the merging of roms from different emu's in one list feasible at all?  you said it would be complicated, but is it feasible?  i mean, id like to have my daphne games in my arcade folder, etc.  is this possible?

Oh it is feasible, I hope to do it, but not until I am ready to alter the LST format.  This is a MAJOR change so I just can't do it yet :(

Minwah

• Offline Offline
    • MAMEWAH
« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2004, 06:58:54 pm »
Re: any sound-related requests:

There are some bugs related to the current sound code, which causes a few strange things to happen under Win98.  Due to this I hope to re-write the sound code at some point, for which I may try to enlist the help of a few Win98 users to help me make sure I get it right this time  ::)  Anyway my point being that until I sort this out I won't add any other sound stuff, for obvious reasons.

Good news is that I've done quite a bit tonight, I think a release will be ready within 2 days :)

jcrouse

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 09, 2010, 05:53:51 pm
    • CPViewer
« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2004, 08:29:09 am »
1. I would like to be able to play a wav file WHILE the screen saver is running. Currently I think it only works if you are rotation through the snaps.

2. Also, fix the issue with playing of MP3 files.

3. Concatination of keys would be nice. (like ctrl + space for exiting).

4. Rotation from within MameWAH would be great. I just thought I'd mention this knowing that it is a HUGE task better left for a later date.

5. This has been discussed already. It would be nice to be able to select a different emulator while the menuing system REMAINS locked. Probably with hotkeys or something. The trick is that it needs to be controllable WITHOUT a keyboard.

Thanks for listening,
John
« Last Edit: May 11, 2004, 09:37:53 am by jcrouse »

Minwah

• Offline Offline
    • MAMEWAH
« Reply #55 on: May 11, 2004, 10:17:04 am »
1. I would like to be able to play a wav file WHILE the screen saver is running. Currently I think it only works if you are rotation through the snaps.

2. Also, fix the issue with playing of MP3 files.

3. Concatination of keys would be nice. (like ctrl + space for exiting).

4. Rotation from within MameWAH would be great. I just thought I'd mention this knowing that it is a HUGE task better left for a later date.

5. This has been discussed already. It would be nice to be able to select a different emulator while the menuing system REMAINS locked. Probably with hotkeys or something. The trick is that it needs to be controllable WITHOUT a keyboard.

1) Depends on what screen-saver you are using.  For 'blank screen' or 'slide show' you can have the music continue...

2) Which issue exactly?

3) I hope to do this at some point, I just can't think of a good way of doing it atm :(

4) Thanks to EndTwist & PMF I do have some pointers on how to do this now, I just need to find the motivation/time to do it!

5) This is already possible using the 'Cycle Emulator' key.  In the next release this will be replaced with 'Previous Emulator' and 'Next Emulator' shortcut keys :)

jcrouse

• Offline Offline
    • CPViewer
« Reply #56 on: May 11, 2004, 10:32:24 am »
I would like to be able to choose to play sound files when an external screen saver is active.

I would also like to be able to play MP3 files. Currently there are no issues it seems with wav's but lots of issues with mp3's and win2000 and winxp. Search the forum (LOL, just kidding). There have been quite a few posts on the MP3 issue.

John

Minwah

• Offline Offline
    • MAMEWAH
« Reply #57 on: May 11, 2004, 01:52:18 pm »
I would like to be able to choose to play sound files when an external screen saver is active.

I would also like to be able to play MP3 files. Currently there are no issues it seems with wav's but lots of issues with mp3's and win2000 and winxp. Search the forum (LOL, just kidding). There have been quite a few posts on the MP3 issue.

By default the music stops when screensaver is launched...does your screensaver not use sounds??

I can't remember hearing of an issue with MP3's and WinXP - I use this combination myself.  There are issues with the sound functions with Win98, but not XP AFAIK.

Minwah

• Offline Offline
    • MAMEWAH
« Reply #59 on: May 11, 2004, 03:13:00 pm »
Post 1: http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=arcadeospc2jamma&Number=44244&Forum=arcadeospc2jamma&Words=MP3&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=44244&Search=true#Post44244

Post 2: http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=arcadeospc2jamma&Number=40949&Forum=arcadeospc2jamma&Words=MP3&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=40949&Search=true#Post40949

Post 3: http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=arcadeospc2jamma&Number=33806&Forum=arcadeospc2jamma&Words=MP3&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=33806&Search=true#Post33806

Wow, I don't even remember those, perhaps I should cut down on the old green stuff...  ::)

I think Post 2 is not the same problem, the guy is trying to launch MP3's via a player, he said the built-in player works.

So it seems you have the problem with 2k, Fat-Jonny in XP and Nikoms in '98.  I have heard a LOT of problems in '98, but AFAIK (ok so my memories not great!) this is the only prob in XP and 2k.  Perhaps you are the first I've heard with problems in 2k as not many people use 2k in MAME cabs?  I don't have a 2k machine to test on unfortunately.

Anyway, as I said a few posts up, I am going to do a complete re-write of the sound stuff at some point - please inform me after this if your problem persists, and I will endevour to sort it :)

EndTwist

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 26, 2022, 05:04:49 pm
  • Arg.
« Reply #60 on: May 11, 2004, 03:15:36 pm »
Minwah -- I could give you my code if you want it. No one likes mine (most unpopular sticky) so I'll toss the source to you. Just PM or email me, and I'll upload it.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2004, 03:17:59 pm by EndTwist »

jcrouse

• Offline Offline
    • CPViewer
« Reply #61 on: May 11, 2004, 03:19:22 pm »
I also know two other people who have the same problem. One uses 2000 and the other XP Home.

Buddabing

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 12, 2015, 02:51:45 pm
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #62 on: May 11, 2004, 03:20:04 pm »
How about a Linux port? If you use the SDL library, porting to Linux might not be too difficult.

There aren't enough front ends available for Linux.
I have changed my nickname to "Cakemeister". Please do not PM the Buddabing account because I do not check it anymore.

Please read the wiki!

EndTwist

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 26, 2022, 05:04:49 pm
  • Arg.
« Reply #63 on: May 11, 2004, 03:22:57 pm »
Buddabing - I think I can answer this for Minwah:

MameWAH was created in Visual Basic, a language created by MS. It would be VERY hard to port it to Linux.

Aceldamor

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 25, 2019, 05:10:51 pm
  • You know you hear the music in your head...
« Reply #64 on: May 11, 2004, 04:48:59 pm »
Minwah -- I could give you my code if you want it. No one likes mine (most unpopular sticky) so I'll toss the source to you. Just PM or email me, and I'll upload it.

Twist...

I don't think your FE is unpopular, but you can't compare the total number of mamers to the hit count.  Statistically, you're prob in good shape, considering there aren't allot of folks out there with a verticle cab style...
Fuzzy Wuzzy was a woman!

Minwah

• Offline Offline
    • MAMEWAH
« Reply #65 on: May 11, 2004, 05:32:38 pm »

I agree with Aceldamor - you've had a load of views, people don't tend to reply unless they find something wrong...Also your FE is pretty new, I've been writing mine since 2001, and I'd say it only became popular last year.  I don't intend to look at the vertical aspect yet (time), but when I do if the offer is still open I may ask for a look at your code, it would be pretty cool to combine the two.  I liked the change of name btw ;)

jcrouse: Thanks for the heads up, I didn't realise it was such a widespread problem.

Buddabing: EndTwist is spot on...I agree about the lack of Linux FE's, I just don't have the knowledge/time to do anything about it :(
« Last Edit: May 11, 2004, 05:33:56 pm by Minwah »

JoeB

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 03, 2024, 11:38:08 pm
  • NES Fanatic
« Reply #66 on: May 11, 2004, 11:58:19 pm »
Here's something a bit out there...

How about adding the ability to read the controls from a custom file and displaying it to the end user?

So when I scroll through games, I want the ability to see my joystick layout on screen with the definition of what each button does in the game.

People are working on doing this via LCD.. but I think it should be done on screen.

Better yet.. if you give us the ability to expand MAMEWAH ourselves (some programs do this via build in script language or even exporting header files that other tools can use to modfiy and return to the program) the possibilities could be endless.

I know it all sounds technical, but these could be long term projects.  :)

As far as short term, the ability to scroll down the emulation list is #1 on my list.  (i.e. EMU3 -> EMU2 -> EMU1 -> EMU10)

MrBond

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2012, 03:50:37 pm
  • ...The name's Do......Mr. Do!...
« Reply #67 on: May 12, 2004, 12:36:12 am »
Maybe have the option to get rid of the good tools format? because I have been manually changing it for the past 3 months  :-[ and I'm not even 1/4th done! lol

Sorting your romnames is your job  :P  ;)

Actually, how hard would it be to code a 'truncate' feature that would not display anything after '[' or '(' for the goodtools format AND the MAME clones naming system

Super Mario Bros 3 (U) (PRG 1).zip --->  Super Mario Bros 3
Asteriods Deluxe (rev 2)                 --->  Asteriods Deluxe

Possible Minwah?  I would greatly appreciate it!
...they only live twice!...
(>")>----MAME----<("<)

yeets

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 22, 2005, 11:27:39 am
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #68 on: May 12, 2004, 01:59:07 am »
Definitely!  If the wheel or trackball can be made to accelerate that would be even sweeter.  Kind of the way the ipod wheel accelerates.  That way you can sift through thousands of roms with just a few quick movements.

great...

Mouse and/or spinner to cycle games...

anyway the new release would be great...

Minwah

• Offline Offline
    • MAMEWAH
« Reply #69 on: May 12, 2004, 07:34:32 am »
How about adding the ability to read the controls from a custom file and displaying it to the end user?

So when I scroll through games, I want the ability to see my joystick layout on screen with the definition of what each button does in the game.

As far as short term, the ability to scroll down the emulation list is #1 on my list.  (i.e. EMU3 -> EMU2 -> EMU1 -> EMU10)

I will eventually be supporting controls.dat, so that controls can be displayed, and filtered on etc.  This will be pretty major, and I will need to change the LST format, so will also include some info available from mame -listinfo that isn't there already...

In the meantime it shouldn't be too hard for me to add a shortcut key to launch Howards controls.dat viewer.  Or I could have it pop up in between hitting P1 Start and the game being launched.

The previous emulator key is done now ;)

Minwah

• Offline Offline
    • MAMEWAH
« Reply #70 on: May 12, 2004, 07:38:11 am »
Actually, how hard would it be to code a 'truncate' feature that would not display anything after '[' or '(' for the goodtools format AND the MAME clones naming system

Super Mario Bros 3 (U) (PRG 1).zip --->  Super Mario Bros 3
Asteriods Deluxe (rev 2)                 --->  Asteriods Deluxe

Possible Minwah?  I would greatly appreciate it!

This is already there set by default for MAME (generate a custom list and see).  The option is 'Display Clone Info (in Custom Lists)'.

I don't think it works with [square brackets], and for your Mario example I think it would only remove the last set of bracketed text, ie 'Super Mario Bros 3 (US)'.  Shouldn't be too hard for me to improve on this...

Minwah

• Offline Offline
    • MAMEWAH
« Reply #71 on: May 12, 2004, 07:40:21 am »
Definitely!  If the wheel or trackball can be made to accelerate that would be even sweeter.  Kind of the way the ipod wheel accelerates.  That way you can sift through thousands of roms with just a few quick movements.

Yeah I am keen to add this for my 360 wheel panel, I don't think it will make it into this next release - hopefully the one after if all goes well...

spauldingd

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 18, 2022, 11:41:51 am
« Reply #72 on: May 13, 2004, 09:07:06 am »
My request is really simple, and if its already in there somewhere, please tell me how to enable it.  I would like to limit the number of games that are automatically added to the FAVORITES list.  My 4-year-old will play anything and everything so there are like 300 games on the favorites list.   I'd like to limit it to the top 20 or some user-configurable number.

screaming

• Sweet! I'mma go make me some popovers!
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 14, 2019, 03:15:34 pm
  • Registered lUser
    • shift eight (*) generation
« Reply #73 on: May 13, 2004, 09:28:23 am »
My request is really simple, and if its already in there somewhere, please tell me how to enable it.  I would like to limit the number of games that are automatically added to the FAVORITES list.  My 4-year-old will play anything and everything so there are like 300 games on the favorites list.   I'd like to limit it to the top 20 or some user-configurable number.

Oooh, yeah that's a great idea.. And then if you configured it for a max of '0' it would be unlimited, or something.  I see this as a potential maintenance problem in about a years time of playing my arcade..

-steve

Minwah

• Offline Offline
    • MAMEWAH
« Reply #74 on: May 14, 2004, 05:00:19 am »

Sounds like it shouldn't be too difficult...

Just an update on my progress: I've done just about all I intend to for this release now, except for a few finishing off things.  Hopefully I should be ready to upload a new version tomorrow (Sat) :)

jcrouse

• Offline Offline
    • CPViewer
« Reply #75 on: May 14, 2004, 07:08:19 am »
MinWAH....I run my skin in vertical mode because it's in a cocktail cabinet. My snaps didn't display properly so you sent me a "fixed" exe file. Will those fixes be incorporated in the new version?

Thanks,
John

MisterB

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 27, 2023, 02:22:02 pm
« Reply #76 on: May 14, 2004, 07:22:48 am »
If you could implement a default IPAC config file file, that would be great.  I am always running into the problem of programming a game or emulator with a set of buttons that aren't compatible with my MAMEWAH settings, so when I quit the game, I'm not able to navigate through MAMEWAH again.  If you could launch an emulator-specific .ipc file when starting a game, and the option to laun ch a MAMEWAH-spevific one when you quit the game, that would be great.

Minwah

• Offline Offline
    • MAMEWAH
« Reply #77 on: May 14, 2004, 10:18:55 am »
MinWAH....I run my skin in vertical mode because it's in a cocktail cabinet. My snaps didn't display properly so you sent me a "fixed" exe file. Will those fixes be incorporated in the new version?

Yes, that was the first update to be completed actually :)

Minwah

• Offline Offline
    • MAMEWAH
« Reply #78 on: May 14, 2004, 10:22:31 am »
If you could implement a default IPAC config file file, that would be great.  I am always running into the problem of programming a game or emulator with a set of buttons that aren't compatible with my MAMEWAH settings, so when I quit the game, I'm not able to navigate through MAMEWAH again.  If you could launch an emulator-specific .ipc file when starting a game, and the option to laun ch a MAMEWAH-spevific one when you quit the game, that would be great.

That's done too :)  I haven't tested this as such, since I'm using my IPAC in PS/2 mode, and it seems to not want to program atm :(

Please let me know if it doesn't work properly or if I've forgot to do something...

arcadecab

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2007, 06:17:06 pm
« Reply #79 on: May 14, 2004, 01:53:58 pm »
Minwah,

It was mentioned before about the ability to cut off the excess stuff at the end of console rom names:  for instance just seeing Super Mario Bros.  in the gamelist instead of Super Mario Bros. (USA) [o1], etc.   You mentioned it may not be that hard to do--this would be a GREAT addition I think as I truly hate looking at the extra stuff in trying to make my setup look as "professional" and "non-pc" as possible.  Any chance in the next release?
Thanks.