Main > Woodworking

what wood to choose?

(1/7) > >>

rchadd:
I currently unsure best material to build my new cocktail cab in. any suggestions?

i see plywood is pretty popular, but has been suggested to me that MDF would be better/easier to work with and get better finish.

however i live in 2nd floor flat (3rd if in US!) with no lift (elavator?) so bit concerned that MDF will be too heavy to carry up the stairs after construction.

hmm..maybe part construction and reassembly in flat would be better option (detachable control panels?) or press gang more friends to help lifting.

what is best wood/width to go for? (just need a second opinion as undecided)

cheers

- richard

Lilwolf:
If money isn't a big deal...

consider going with a oak playwood or a nice pine plywood.  One with a nice finish.  You will pay more... but it will be lighter.

A bigger problem for moving (at least for mine) is removing the monitor.  And for you... the top glass (and maybe the top board).

You might look at building a self contained box to put the monitor is... And that you can remove the box with a screw or two.... so its still safe.  

Removing the top piece of wood, glass, computer and monitor... In the end... it shouldn't be ANY problem to move with two people... (and one should only be a problem because of the size / shape).  

rchadd:
in europe all wood width measurement are in millemeters  but t-molding is in fractions of an inch.

is it possible to get a good fit without having to trim the edges of the t-molding?

is it possible to get t-molding to match the standard european width woods exactly?

patrickl:
Almost all t-molding is made to fit 3/4" panels. To fit that you need 19mm panels. You won't find that on stock anywhere. At some places you can order custom sized wood. Though, for black t-molding it's probably not even that much of a problem (at least you have the option of trimming the edges).

I have different sets of t-molding and sadly enough the width is not always the same. I have some chrome 3/4" t-molding that's 1,98mm wide when it's applied. On a 18mm panel that means 1 mm overhang on each side. That's just too much and trimming the edges is not gonna work either.

bionicbadger:

--- Quote from: rchadd on April 22, 2004, 06:48:15 am ---I currently unsure best material to build my new cocktail cab in. any suggestions?

i see plywood is pretty popular, but has been suggested to me that MDF would be better/easier to work with and get better finish.

--- End quote ---

See If you can find the lightweight MDF.  It costs slightly more, but weighs 1/3 less than regular MDF.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version