Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: newbie question-be nice :)  (Read 3522 times)

Bolognaboy

• Trade Count: (0)
newbie question-be nice :)
« on: June 06, 2002, 08:59:47 am »
I've been doing quite a bit of research into building my own Mame cabinet.  Is it possible to incorporate one of the next generation videogame consoles into the cab?  I was thinking that I would love to be able to rig up a control panel to a Gamecube, especially with its multiplayer games (ie Monkeyball, Bomberman, Madden, Smash Brothers).  Is this possible?   I can imagine that the controller would be difficult to hack.  Any way around this?  I'm just brainstorming right now, but it would be great to have a cabinet that could run Mame, an MP3 jukebox, and a Gamecube.  Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks for being so nice.  *smile*
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by 1026619200 »

neuromancer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 10, 2006, 04:26:57 pm
  • Can I Play?
Re: newbie question-be nice :)
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2002, 10:31:55 am »
XArcade?

Peeper

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 10, 2003, 05:46:43 pm
  • I want to Build My Own Arcade Controls!!
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2002, 11:03:04 am »
Sure! You have your anser already: hack some of the consoles controllers into your control panel. It might be a wiring/switching nightmare to select what the control panel is 'connected to (PC via whatever, Console via hacked controller, etc.) bur its definately doable!

Bolognaboy

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2002, 04:31:03 am »
Thanks for the replies.  What would you suggest, though?  I'd like to be able to run both my pc and a Gamecube from the same cabinet, and preferrably with the same control panel.  Is this possible?  Where could I get some more information on this?  Any ideas would be great!  Thanks again!

Jakobud

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 04:45:38 am
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2002, 11:37:03 am »
Okay now wait.  Hacking console controllers is really no big deal.  But there is something that every modern console controller has that is difficult to hack....analog buttons and joystick(s).  Dealing with Happ's joysticks and pushbuttons, they are all digital.  Either you are pressing them or you are not.  There is nothing inbetween.  With the gamecube for example, I know the joystick in analog, and I think the two triggers are analog, but I'm not sure about the rest of the buttons.  On the PS2 for example, EVERYTHING is analog.  All the buttons and both joysticks and the directional pad.  This will be very difficult to hook up to arcade controls and hope that you can mimic the same feel of it.  There ARE analog joysticks that you can get from Happs, but I have no idea what it takes to wire those up.  It's not like connecting a couple of wires from a PS2 joystick to the Happs analog joystick will make it work.  It will not be that easy at all.  I do believe I have seen a few posts on this board (or the old archives) where someone was actually able to hack a analog joystick into the Dreamcast analog joystick.  So it might be possible.  You need to do some more research I think.  Just start searching.  Hope this helps.

Jakobud

hyiu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 29, 2014, 05:36:15 am
  • too many games... too little time....
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2002, 12:04:16 pm »
sorry to jump in like that.... but I would like to know if it is possible to hack an analog button to a digital button ?? I'm asking this because I would like to hack a xBox pad... I don't really need real analog control...(since I'll only be playing fighting games..... no driving or other games..... ) Just that I would like to know if the procedure is easy (or like normal digital pad) ??  Anyone got any pics/details on hacking an analog button to a pushbutton ??... Would appreciate any insight.... Thx...
Another Brilliant mind ruined by education....  :p

d

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2002, 04:59:48 am »
Alrighty...thanks to all of your insight, I have been able to narrow down how I might go about constructing this control panel.  Basically, if I hack a PSX controller to my control panel, that would leave the PSX connection to do what I want with it.  I know that there is a cheap adapter to plug a PSX controller into a Gamecube port.  There is also a PSX to USB adapter that is a bit more expensive.  My question now is how do I plug both of these in at the same time?  Is there a way I can split the controller to go to both inputs?  Also, what kind of PSX contoller should I hack to do this?  Should I be trying to hack a PS2 controller instead?  What about analog?  I would prefer to have the plugs connected to both the computer and the gamecube all the time, without having to change them constantly.  Also, any suggestions on how to connect both pc and gamecube up to the monitor?  Better yet, how can I easily switch between the two of them?  

Phew...lots of questions!!  Sorry about that, but I'm not the foremost authority on any of this, and I could really use the help.  I would love to hear from anybody who has a cabinet with multi-systems, as well.  Thanks for listening!  Hope to hear from you soon.  

me

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2002, 07:06:45 am »
well i can help... ;D

get a SWITCH BOX..thats what i have...i got the printer port 25 pin switch box...the 4 way version...and i have about 4 consoles hooked up to the cabinet...just add the switch box to your joystick and you be aight..also CONTACT ME..i have 2 perfect PC to PSX usb pads..yes the expensive once....THEY SUPPORT BOTH ANALOG AND DIGITAL AT THE SAME TIME>>>good luck buying these plugs..because there are quality issues(only on pc versions,no difference on consoles from what i know)...i used many before...i bought cheap once..did not work out...could not play street fighter..still worked like left ,right and all but could not pull off moves..i paid like $32each from my local GAMEXpress...i will sell both for $40...TOO MUCH ASKING ???.....well.....its about time you will know the diffference..i bought 4 because we used to play a lot..now i play all alone..there is nobody to play with...4 players stuff..AND IN A SHORT NOTE,,GOOD LUCK HACKING ANALOG BUTTONS ;D..I COULD NOT DO IT,NOBODY i  KNOW DID IT...EVERYONE ENDED UP BLOWING UP ALL THE CONSOLES...I ALSO BLEW UP MY DREAMCAST TRYING...SO WHAT MAKES YOU THINK YOU WILL DO IT...HEHE..LIKE I SAID,GOOD LUCK ;D...

WELL I ALSO HAVE A swith box...THAT WILL WORK LIKE YOU CAN MAKE IT SWITCHABLE...FROM CONSOLE TO CONSOLE..BUT ONLY 2 WAY..I USED THIS WHEN I ONLY HAD DREAMCAST AND  PC...NOW I GOT 4 INPUTS TO GO WITH SO I HAVE THE 2 WAY BOX FOR SALE...I WANT $50 FOR 2 USB CONVERTERS AND THE SWITH BOX...I PAID $20 FOR THE BOX BUT SELLING FOR $10...SO EMAIL HERE IF YOU ARE NOT SURE HOW...OR NEED MORE INFO..

arcadeking25@yahoo.com

or reply here....thanks ;)