Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Building a Merit Touchscreen game  (Read 9596 times)

botez

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 04, 2023, 11:53:06 pm
Building a Merit Touchscreen game
« on: July 22, 2002, 12:56:48 pm »
Down at my local pool hall they have these Merit XL touchscreen games  (Check out www.meritind.com for more info).  I've found myself getting quite addicted to these and decided to look into buying one.  However, they run in the $1-2000 range.  So, I'm looking into building my own.  Looks to me like all you need is the touchscreen, PCB, and a CD of the games.  I've seen all of these go on Ebay for under $100.  

I was wondering if there is anyone out there that has tried this or is interested in looking into this to start some discussion on it.  Thanks.

Troy

Andy Desak

Re:Building a Merit Touchscreen game
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2002, 04:17:17 pm »

Down at my local pool hall they have these Merit XL touchscreen games  (Check out www.meritind.com for more info).  I've found myself getting quite addicted to these and decided to look into buying one.  However, they run in the $1-2000 range.

......are you sure about that....I thought they were more in the $3-4000 range.
Hell, I think the touchscreen alone from Happ is around $800 and a decent bill acceptor is at least $200 (I know you dont need this if you make your own but they come with them).

So, I'm looking into building my own.  Looks to me like all you need is the touchscreen, PCB, and a CD of the games.  I've seen all of these go on Ebay for under $100.  

........If you seen them go for under $100 then they are probably very OLD ones....there is no way a newer would go that cheap.

I was wondering if there is anyone out there that has tried this or is interested in looking into this to start some discussion on it.  Thanks.

......I have though about it before....even called Merit....you wont have any luck just buying a pcb or a CD full of games, so unless you know someone that has one and will maybe let you copy the CD then you are ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- outta luck.

Let me know if you find out anything useful on this.....in the mean time I will talk to some people I know that may be able to help as well.

Later,
Andy

Troy

neo777

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2002, 12:21:50 am »

I got a touchright screen that fits over my 17" monitor, and it works really well.  I got it for like 10$ on ebay.   Here is a link for one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2040231365

I originally got it to use for drawing... but because the screen is a little far away from the monitor,  it create a depth problem... where you 'think'  you are right above the spot... but really your off enuff to mess up the line.  

Works good for simple selection tho... even on windows.  I tried it on mame when i first got it... and it didnt work.  But I just tried it with the latest mame, and it moved the cursor perfectly in a gun game.  (dosnt work on mouse games that arnt gun games)   The device is a serial unit... so make sure you have the port available if you decide to try.

The screen itself, it held in place by supplied velcro with stickyback tape... and a special puzzle like snap.  Works perfectly, and stays in place.   Hmm... I should try an airgun of some sort...  : )

fmfbanshee

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2002, 03:35:49 pm »
Yes it dose work.  I built one.  

botez

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2002, 04:16:05 pm »
An update:

I have found that you can get the Megatouch kit for between $175-400 depending on how good of one you want.  This includes everything except the touchscreen monitor.  You can find 13-14" touchscreen monitors on Ebay for under $200 and certain times.  The touchscreen cabinet is all I'm left looking for, but I can probably build that on my own as soon as I get dimensions.  

Also, the idea of using the touchscreen overlay on a monitor is a cool idea, but ultimately won't work for this, due to driver issues.

Any questions or comments?

Troy

Andy Desak

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2002, 05:48:14 pm »

An update:

I have found that you can get the Megatouch kit for between $175-400 depending on how good of one you want.  This includes everything except the touchscreen monitor.  You can find 13-14" touchscreen monitors on Ebay for under $200 and certain times.  The touchscreen cabinet is all I'm left looking for, but I can probably build that on my own as soon as I get dimensions.  

Also, the idea of using the touchscreen overlay on a monitor is a cool idea, but ultimately won't work for this, due to driver issues.

Troy

Andy Desak

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2002, 05:49:06 pm »

An update:

Troy

Andy Desak

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2002, 05:52:35 pm »

An update:

I have found that you can get the Megatouch kit for between $175-400 depending on how good of one you want.

This includes everything except the touchscreen monitor.  You can find 13-14" touchscreen monitors on Ebay for under $200 and certain times.  The touchscreen cabinet is all I'm left looking for, but I can probably build that on my own as soon as I get dimensions.  

Troy

sorry about the 2 accidental posts with nothing in them  :P

Andy Desak

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2002, 05:55:42 pm »

An update:

I have found that you can get the Megatouch kit for between $175-400 depending on how good of one you want

This includes everything except the touchscreen monitor.  You can find 13-14" touchscreen monitors on Ebay for under $200 and certain times.  The touchscreen cabinet is all I'm left looking for, but I can probably build that on my own as soon as I get dimensions.  

Troy

all right I dont know WTF if wrong with my computer...........
let me try this for a 4th time.

Between $175 and 400 huh....From what I have seen I find this very hard to believe....do you have a url or a phone number?
If I can get the newest Megatouch for a lousy $400 I'll buy one tommorrow!!!!

Thanks
Andy

Andy Desak

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2002, 07:59:24 pm »

Yes it dose work.  I built one.  

where did you get the software for the games???

botez

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2002, 08:01:30 pm »
I never said I was getting the newest one, those DO run for about $2000-3000.  I'm talking about one a couple of years old (XL or Gold series).  They run for about $800to $1200 complete, depending on where you look.  The kits for these older systems run cheaper because people who use these to make money are upgrading theirs and sell off the old parts, rather than toss them out.

Look on ebay right now--
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2123759477

and

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2123711664

should be enough to make a complete one.

Andy Desak

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2002, 08:48:54 am »

I never said I was getting the newest one, those DO run for about $2000-3000.  I'm talking about one a couple of years old (XL or Gold series).  They run for about $800to $1200 complete, depending on where you look.  The kits for these older systems run cheaper because people who use these to make money are upgrading theirs and sell off the old parts, rather than toss them out.

Look on ebay right now--
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2123759477

and

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2123711664

should be enough to make a complete one.

Hmmm.....cool.
Do you happen to know if you can upgrade these older versions to the newest ones if you had the newest cd?  Or do you think you might need a newer pcb also?

It seems to be just regular computer so it should work.

Are you bidding on these?

botez

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2002, 11:10:13 am »
The upgrades from say, an XL to XL Diamond, requires a new PCB and new CD (although the Diamond might be a hard drive model, I'd have to check again).  Check out Merit's site to see the upgrade chart www.meritind.com.  I should also point out that I'm not 100% sure that just any touchscreen will work with the PCB.  I'm trying to find that out right now, because some of the touchscreens on Ebay go for around $80.  I talked to a distributor of these  and he mentioned that all of the ones he sells have a name like Microtouch, he couldn't remember off the top of his head.  Happs sells a touchscreen from both ELO and WellsGardner that they state are for Merit machines http://www.happcontrols.com/monitors/49091900.htm, so I'd look into that too.

I'm not bidding on these right now, but even if I was, the highest bidder always wins, so go ahead and snipe them if you want.

Anymore questions or ideas, let me know and keep this thread going.  I'm not any kind of expert, but perhaps one will come in here to help out, if needed.

Troy