Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: 34" or 38"sharp -mage svga its a good idea?  (Read 3882 times)

tommycoins98

• Trade Count: (0)
34" or 38"sharp -mage svga its a good idea?
« on: July 13, 2002, 10:55:44 pm »
hi, folks, i want to buy a svga arcade monitor,
i want to play horizontal and vertical games without a rotate the monitors(its complicade),
thats its the reasons for buy a true 34 " or 38" monitors,

I think so the size  of this arcade monitors its perfect to play hor. and vert games without  problems , in a good decent size,

i want the sharpimage because the cost,quality an dprice its good(this monitors use the same crt tube as the wellsgardens monitors-rca and sony invark mask)

but  my question its  so the quality between 34" and 38" monitor in dotch pitch its the same ,

the resolution its same, but the dotch pitch i donk know,

please recommendations before to buy, 34 " or 38"

I think so the mame games, the emulators and the
childrens memories not have price
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by 1026619200 »

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 21, 2004, 03:44:18 am
  • Banned for abusive postings.
Re: 34" or 38"sharp -mage svga its a good idea?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2002, 02:00:06 pm »
well..how much are you paying..i know i am not being helpfull..but myself i am looking for bigger vga monitor..

but a 34" would be around $1000 right..where are you getting this SHARP IMAGE monitor...just wonderin if i can afford.atleast a 27".as for the recommendations,any vga arcade monitor looks very very nice.no words to explain.i have a 19".also seen 27".
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by 1026619200 »

Dave_K.

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 06, 2022, 03:27:30 pm
    • Arcade Fever
Re:34" or 38"sharp -mage svga its a good idea?
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2002, 12:03:45 pm »
I recommend looking into Gateway Destination monitors.  I bought a 36" and am very happy with it.  Max resolution is 800x600.  They are like 5 years old but worth the price they are going for on ebay.  Shipping is the only other gotcha on these deals (around $150-$200).   Here is one the recently sold on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2037067201

PS. I have not mounted mine in a cabinet or anything yet...its way to large.  I've been wanting to build a custom cabinet around (or underneath) it.

-Dave

tommycoins98

hey dave_k, the true size of gateway destinations its 34" or 36"
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2002, 02:49:07 pm »
thanks for the recomendations, but i have another question, the destination 36" monitors by gateway its 36"true size or its 34"of ctr diagonal size,

and for last the wg9200 and the sharp image si-227svga use the same brand of ctr ,the rca or sony tube,but the sharp i think support 800x600 and 1024i,opinions about this

Ambrocade

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2005, 07:26:16 pm
  • I can't OutRun the desire to BMOAC!
Re:hey dave_k, the true size of gateway destinations its 34" or 36"
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2002, 01:11:30 am »

thanks for the recomendations, but i have another question, the destination 36" monitors by gateway its 36"true size or its 34"of ctr diagonal size,

and for last the wg9200 and the sharp image si-227svga use the same brand of ctr ,the rca or sony tube,but the sharp i think support 800x600 and 1024i,opinions about this

I have the SharpImage Si-227 SVGA monitor and am quite happy with it.  It's supposed to do up to 1024i but I haven't tried it that high.  I do routinely use it at 800x600 and it looks good at that res for vector games.  I haven't seen the WG monitors so I can't compare.

I am very happy with SharpImage's customer service.  My first monitor was way out of convergence, it turns out the hot glue holding the wedges in place came loose and it was way out of wack.  I tried adjusting it myself but I couldn't get it any better than it was.  Sharpimage sent me out a new monitor and picked the other one up at no charge, not even for shipping.  

I was so pleased with there service that I ordered a 19" standard res monitor with flat screen Sony Wega tube from them for my cocktail cabinet that is still in progress...

-Ambrocade

Anonymously

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 26, 2005, 02:13:11 am
  • MarMags Arcade
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2002, 02:09:33 am »

I have the SharpImage Si-227 SVGA monitor and am quite happy with it.  It's supposed to do up to 1024i but I haven't tried it that high.  I do routinely use it at 800x600 and it looks good at that res for vector games.  I haven't seen the WG monitors so I can't compare.
-Ambrocade

How much did it cost you and what size of monitor did you get?  I looking for a VGA monitor myself so I'm kinda curious.  How does the game looks like? Is it pixelated or arcade like?
Thanks.
No Offense, it's just a suggestion

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 21, 2004, 03:44:18 am
  • Banned for abusive postings.
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2002, 03:35:42 am »
me too ;D

want to know how much you paid..if its decent price then i will order one...i am kinda not happy with mine..19"...and i dont need to know anything on how it look..hehe..i know how it is..best you can actuallly buy ;)

tommycoins98

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2002, 03:42:20 am »
thanks for the recomendation mr ambrocade

i have another question before to buy the sharp monitor,
how many inputs comes the sharp 27"svga?

i think so with  a db15 pin input(vga conector)
and one  rgb,(CGA/EGA: 0.156 center header )

i suppose that because the wg9200 27" comes with 2 inputs one db15 vga ,and one rgb

Dave_K.

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 06, 2022, 03:27:30 pm
    • Arcade Fever
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2002, 04:14:19 pm »
The gateway Destination 36" has a 35.5" diagonal picture.  It also only has a single input to it (VGA connector).  This is a computer monitor not a TV or HTDV.

-Dave

Ambrocade

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2002, 09:38:14 pm »

How much did it cost you and what size of monitor did you get?  I looking for a VGA monitor myself so I'm kinda curious.  How does the game looks like? Is it pixelated or arcade like?
Thanks.

Well, I didn't actually buy it.  It came with my HanaHo ArcadePC before they started shipping with standard PC monitors.  The first monitor's neckboard was broken and I got a replacement from HanaHo.  The second one (shipped from HanaHo) had bad convergence problems.  I contacted SharpImage since they made the monitor and they shipped me out a replacement.  Once the replacement was received they did a UPS call tag and picked up the other one.

I had something like 30 days to return the defective one or they were going to bill me for it.  I believe the invoice said $550 but I would call or email them for the price.  I have sent them various emails in the past and they have always responded to me within a day or so.  I am very happy with their customer service.

I haven't seen the WG monitors so I can't compare them to the SI monitors but the reason I prefer the SI monitors is they have a broader horizontal and vertical range.  See there website for exact numbers but quoting off the top of my head I believe horizontal is 31.5 - 48.5 KHz and vertical is 50 - 90 Hz.  This works great with AdvancedMAME.  Also the SVGA monitors can do 1024i which I haven't tested.  I do 800x600 for vector games and they look good.
I purchased a 19" standard res arcade monitor from them with a Sony Wega flat tube and it only cost $185.  I could have got the same monitor chassis with a RCA standard tube (not flat) for $175.  I'm very happy with the monitor for the price.

And yes, it looks more like a true arcade monitor than a PC monitor.  It's a good compromise between an easy to use PC monitor and a low res "standard res" arcade monitor.

When I get my cocktail cabinet done, I will have to compare my 19" standard res monitor with the SVGA arcade style monitor to see just how different they are.  I have noticed that it is a little difficult getting the right resolution without doubling for games with extremely low resolution such as Cosmic Avenger with the SVGA monitor.  On the other hand, I am much more limited with the standard res monitor when it comes to resizing the screen area in AdvancedMAME.  Naturally you could use the monitor controls but then you have to change the settings for almost every game so I don't want to do that.

If it seems like I'm running in circles, then let me say this.  If I only was to have one arcade cabinet I would choose the SharpImage SVGA Arcade style monitor over a PC monitor anyday and I would still choose it over the standard arcade res monitor since vector games don't look good on a standard res monitor (too much flickering IMO).  With the SVGA monitor you can easily do windoze to play other games and emulators as well.

If you are builiding a second cabinet like I am, or if you don't care about vector games, I would go with the standard res monitor with a JPAC.

I am building the cocktail mostly for vertical games even though I probably will add a control panel on the horizontal side (not sure about this yet) and I plan on setting the vertical games as close to the native screen refresh rates as possible to get smooth srolling.  With my very limited testing, the vertical games on the 19" standard res monitor look just as big as on the 27" SVGA monitor since I don't have to rotate them to run on the 19" monitor.

Hope some of my ramblings help.

-Ambrocade

Ambrocade

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2002, 10:10:25 pm »

thanks for the recomendation mr ambrocade

i have another question before to buy the sharp monitor,
how many inputs comes the sharp 27"svga?

i think so with  a db15 pin input(vga conector)
and one  rgb,(CGA/EGA: 0.156 center header )

It just has a standard VGA connector.

-Ambrocade