Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Help with Arcade Monitor cocktail project!  (Read 1994 times)

napx42

• Trade Count: (0)
Help with Arcade Monitor cocktail project!
« on: July 27, 2002, 06:41:09 pm »
Howdy,

I'm in the process of retrofitting an old cocktail table with a MAME system. My original intent was to run DOS with ArcadeOS as a front-end but I'd much rather run Linux or even Windows, as to allow better remote administration (ftp, vnc or whatever for maint).

My question is, how do I get any of this stuff to display on an arcade monitor? I know if I'm using DOS, ArcadeOS can adjust the vga card output accordingly (I'm using a jpac as the physical interface), but I'm a little more confused about the possibility of displaying XMame or some Windows-based front-end on such a low-frequency device... Any suggestions?

Ideally, I'd also like to be able to run movies and such from this system (think of it as a dedicated "entertainment pc" :-), running another lineout to my tv and stereo system.. but games come first! Just trying to get a feel for how possible this is...

Thanks in advance for any responses,

...nap

x-wing

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 28, 2003, 10:40:37 pm
  • I Built My Own Arcade Controls!!
Re:Help with Arcade Monitor cocktail project!
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2002, 10:27:33 pm »
If you choose to run Windows on an arcade monitor, you've just severely limited your choice in video cards to either a Blade3D or G400.  The old Vsyncmame page also had a tsr for some SIS chipset video cards, but that page isn't up anymore.

When you do run Windows on an arcade monitor, you will notice some flickering because arcade monitors normally don't support interlacing (MAME games look awesome, tho).

I've used a J-PAC w/ an arcade monitor and it worked great with DOS MAME and ArcadeOS.  I never tried Windows on it because I didn't have a compatible video card.