Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: My serial LCD for displaying directions  (Read 30658 times)

zzsprade

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 05, 2023, 02:31:25 am
Re:My serial LCD for displaying directions
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2004, 03:42:04 am »
I actually have another question...

would it be possible to format the screen so that it shows the contol relevant to the position of the button?

for example the LCD Screen would show for my panel using Mortal Kombat:

Mortal Kombat

Not Used
High Punch                    High Kick
                      Block
Low Punch                    Low Kick

8 Way Joystick

However, you could put a larger LCD for player 1 and player 2.  Have the lcd show button labels for that player's buttons.

I actually considered doing what Poonga suggested, it would be a diffinative option if the LCD's could be programmed to do what I asked above

Aceldamor,

Mate you are certainly on to something there. It is a little scary reading this thred as everything that I have thought of whilst reading it was brought up just further down. Would certainly be VERY interested in getting this to work... maybe even a little extension of Dino Rogers Project??????

-Alex

maraxle

« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2004, 06:35:19 am »
Well, I'm buying 2 of the same ones you have...so mabye we can colaborate on getting that to work...though I really don't have any programming skills.
No programming skills are required.  All you're doing is copying a text file to a serial port.  "copy yourtext.txt com1"  Simply put spaces in your text file to make it look the way you want it to, and you're good to go.

crashwg

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 24, 2019, 11:01:05 am
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2004, 03:53:59 pm »
If anyone is interested in using a gba as a display for your pc it seems as though it will be posible.

See here:http://forum.gbadev.org/viewtopic.php?p=19002#19002
If there's bees in the trap I'm catching em
By the thorax and abdomen
And sanding the stingers down to a rough quill
Then I dip em in ink, and I scribble a bit
But if it they wriggle then I tickle em until they hold still
Lemme say it again
In my land of pretend
I use bees as a mf'n pen

GadgetGeek

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 03, 2014, 09:59:01 am
  • whatever
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2004, 04:35:51 pm »
Might be able to do something similar with an old palm pilot using the hot-sync cradle as well.  Time to go into thinking mode....

Aceldamor

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 25, 2019, 05:10:51 pm
  • You know you hear the music in your head...
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2004, 06:18:16 pm »
If anyone is interested in using a gba as a display for your pc it seems as though it will be posible.

See here:http://forum.gbadev.org/viewtopic.php?p=19002#19002

Dosen't look like it's going to be easy to do, or free for that matter..

maraxle:  you said it's easy to do via indents and spacing, but I actually have another question. On your LCD your buttons read  "Button 1: XXX" (where X is what button does) I'm trying to eliminate the "button 1" and just have it read what the function is...(i.e. High Punch) would you have to modify much to have it do that?
Fuzzy Wuzzy was a woman!

CitznFish

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 26, 2023, 12:36:44 pm
  • www.subvertcity.com - Prof. Strength Slackwear
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2004, 07:49:35 pm »
welp, I just won an auction for the same item. Call me a copy-catter, or whatever, but this idea is too good to skip. :)

Now if i could just get along and build a cab.

Aceldamor

• Offline Offline
« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2004, 08:53:02 pm »
welp, I just won an auction for the same item. Call me a copy-catter, or whatever, but this idea is too good to skip. :)

Now if i could just get along and build a cab.

Yeah...thanks for sniping me out of mine....that was awsome.
Fuzzy Wuzzy was a woman!

maraxle

« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2004, 01:22:25 am »
maraxle:  you said it's easy to do via indents and spacing, but I actually have another question. On your LCD your buttons read  "Button 1: XXX" (where X is what button does) I'm trying to eliminate the "button 1" and just have it read what the function is...(i.e. High Punch) would you have to modify much to have it do that?
I'm not sure I understand the question.  You can pass whatever text you want to the LCD without any modification.  You just setup your text files to look the way you want.  If you're asking whether my little text file generator would need modification to do that, then the answer is yes.  Everything in it is currently hardcoded, as it was just meant for my personal use.  I'll make a more customizable version of the program soon so you can do whatever you like.

Aceldamor

• Offline Offline
« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2004, 03:10:10 am »
Sweet....

I'm going to go (hopefully) pick up 2 panels from the guy with the auction, I e-mailed him and he's got a couple of extras that he'll sell me and I can just go pick them up since he lives here in Phoenix.
Fuzzy Wuzzy was a woman!

vpiccoli

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2004, 11:59:41 am
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2004, 10:40:57 am »
maraxle,

The LCD is a great idea.  So great that I picked up a couple of those LCD screens off ebay.

Any chance you would be willing to post (or send me) your VB code?  I might like to alter the VB code to format the LCD screen a little differently.

I understand if you don't want to.

Thanks

maraxle

« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2004, 11:13:11 am »
I've had a couple of requests for the code, but it's not something I'd like to give out.  It is very sloppy as it was written in about 10 minutes, and rather embarrassing...  

Anyway, what the VB code is doing is a simple exercise in file I/O, so it shouldn't be too tough to duplicate (and improve) without the source.  It just gathers file names from a directory, compares them to the XML file to find the section in the file that corresponds to that rom, and prints it out to another file (with LCD control codes added) - nothing magical about it.  Copy the control codes from one of the text files generated by the example program and you're good to go.

bioart

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 28, 2006, 11:38:14 pm
    • The ArtCade
« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2004, 10:00:47 pm »
That's too bad that you dont want to give the code :)  I was hoping to build on it and make it work with my stuff (giving it back to the community afterwards, of course :))

Anyways,  The link to the executable does not work, I'd love to at least be able to run that to figure out the format for the text files...

Thanks!

Art

Rawker

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 06, 2006, 05:31:24 pm
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2004, 08:42:52 pm »
i just wanted to bump this thread and say thanks to maraxle for the inspiration, like everyone else i'm planning on adding a lcd screen to my cab now.

Aceldamor

• Offline Offline
« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2004, 06:43:46 pm »

I'll make a more customizable version of the program soon so you can do whatever you like.

Marlaxle...just curious to know if you were still planning on doing this?

I'm picking up my Screens on Wed. and if not i'll have to see if I can do it myself or recruit some resourses I have..
Fuzzy Wuzzy was a woman!

maraxle

« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2004, 10:38:12 pm »

I'll make a more customizable version of the program soon so you can do whatever you like.

Marlaxle...just curious to know if you were still planning on doing this?

I'm picking up my Screens on Wed. and if not i'll have to see if I can do it myself or recruit some resourses I have..
Well, since I said I would do it, I just put a more flexible version out there at the same URL.  Basically there's little text fields where you can change the header, what it says when it's a trackball game, and what it says when the button label can't be found in controls.dat.  There's a checkbox that lets you choose whether or not to have it scroll long titles automatically.  Finally, there's some radio buttons that let you choose from some different button label styles (Button 1-6:, Button A-F:, 1-6:, A-F:, or no label).  

Unfortunately, it's still got the bugs from the original version (only labels 6 buttons, if you try to exit before it's done it crashes, if you don't fill in all the inputs it doesn't work and doesn't tell you why, etc).  As I'm kind of taking a break from programming right now (it's not fun to me anymore - this program was only written out of necessity), I'm not planning any further updates at this time.

Rawker

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 06, 2006, 05:31:24 pm
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #55 on: April 19, 2004, 10:45:24 pm »
thanks Marlaxle i'm sure alot of people appreciate you taking the time even though they don't say they do, i'm sure you'll update it again later  ;)

chrisindfw

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2020, 05:57:34 pm
  • I drank what?
« Reply #56 on: April 21, 2004, 10:15:24 am »
I got my panel off of ebay. Looks good. Quick questions..

1) All I need to connect it is a 9 pin serial cable? Is power supplied through that?

2) I tried using the software to create the lcd files but it is not working. I created both the xml files. I click generate and it pauses for 2 seconds and then returns. Nothing happens.

Any ideas?

maraxle

« Reply #57 on: April 21, 2004, 11:04:42 am »
I got my panel off of ebay. Looks good. Quick questions..

1) All I need to connect it is a 9 pin serial cable? Is power supplied through that?
You need a straight through 9 pin serial cable if you're using XP for communications.  You need to connect a 5v power source per the instructions the seller (if it's the same guy I got mine from) will email to you.  It's hooked to the left side of the 4-pin-header that's on the right hand side of the unit.

2) I tried using the software to create the lcd files but it is not working. I created both the xml files. I click generate and it pauses for 2 seconds and then returns. Nothing happens.
Are you putting in the correct rom directory?  Also, did you check your output directory to see if there's files there?  Finally, are your roms in zip files?  It doesn't work with unzipped roms.

chrisindfw

• Offline Offline
  • I drank what?
« Reply #58 on: April 21, 2004, 11:16:06 am »
If you can, shoot me an email please. There were no instructions given.

Also, I had some files that were not zip files in my roms directory, I removed them and tried again and still nothing. I checked all the folders and nothing. I am sure I have all the VB runtime objects as I do nothing but VB programming at work.

maraxle

« Reply #59 on: April 21, 2004, 11:32:51 am »
If you can, shoot me an email please. There were no instructions given.
You'll have to get the instructions from the guy you bought it from.  I didn't keep a copy of the email once I got it hooked up.

Also, I had some files that were not zip files in my roms directory, I removed them and tried again and still nothing. I checked all the folders and nothing. I am sure I have all the VB runtime objects as I do nothing but VB programming at work.
Is the output directory you specified writeable, and already existing?  Or maybe the version of MAME you're using makes different xmlinfo files than the one I used (AdvanceMAME).  

Other than that, I don't know what to tell you.  It's an alpha build, untested, etc.  It was only meant for my system, so it wouldn't surprise me if it was incompatible with someone else's machine.

chrisindfw

• Offline Offline
  • I drank what?
« Reply #60 on: April 21, 2004, 11:37:55 am »
Thanks! That could be. I made my xml with my mame version.

I emailed the sender on the instructions.

chrisindfw

• Offline Offline
  • I drank what?
« Reply #61 on: April 22, 2004, 02:19:52 pm »
I am still waiting to hear back from the person who I got it from on how to power it.

Does anyone who purchased one of these know how I can get power to this? If I had a camera id take pictures of the power connector. Its a 4 pin, 2 on top 2 on bottom.

maraxle

« Reply #62 on: April 22, 2004, 02:35:44 pm »
It's the two pins on the left side of the four pin header.  If you look at the board, you should be able to see the label that shows which one is ground and which one is power.

Aceldamor

• Offline Offline
« Reply #63 on: April 22, 2004, 05:19:09 pm »
holding the screen face up and horizontal, the two pins on the left of the daughter board (where the db9 connector is) are the 5 volt lines. Top being current bottom being ground.

If you hold the LDC Vertical with the contrast lever up they would be the two bottom pins, right side being ground, left side being current.
Fuzzy Wuzzy was a woman!

chrisindfw

• Offline Offline
  • I drank what?
« Reply #64 on: April 23, 2004, 08:18:14 am »
Thanks everyone for the help. I am still new to all of this and you guys make it easy.

Is there a connector that I can get that easily attaches to one of the leads on the computer? I thought I have seen them here before.

Additionally, is there a way to draw 5 volts from the IPAC? I am just trying to mount this on the control panel without having to run 15 different wires to the cabinet.

Thanks again

maraxle

« Reply #65 on: April 23, 2004, 08:50:21 am »
Is there a connector that I can get that easily attaches to one of the leads on the computer? I thought I have seen them here before.
I used 2 of the holes on a 3-pin fan lead, and it worked pretty well.

chrisindfw

• Offline Offline
  • I drank what?
« Reply #66 on: April 23, 2004, 09:12:21 am »
Thanks...

What about a battery? Could I use that. I was told it takes 5-9 volts. hmmm

maraxle

« Reply #67 on: April 23, 2004, 09:14:33 am »
What about a battery? Could I use that. I was told it takes 5-9 volts. hmmm
Sure, if you don't mind replacing a battery once a day...

JoeB

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 03, 2024, 11:38:08 pm
  • NES Fanatic
« Reply #68 on: April 23, 2004, 10:57:48 am »
maraxle:

you got any updated pictures of how it looks like installed in your CP?

maraxle

« Reply #69 on: April 23, 2004, 11:00:56 am »
you got any updated pictures of how it looks like installed in your CP?
Actually, I will be doing the cut-out this weekend, so I should have some pics next week.  

bioart

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 28, 2006, 11:38:14 pm
    • The ArtCade
« Reply #70 on: April 23, 2004, 12:38:04 pm »
Hey Maraxle

Thanks for updating the program.  I generated the files and I would preffer to change the format and layout of the buttons, but it's a great start.  I'm going to try and use my limited VB skills to write something from scratch to generate the files in the format I'm looking for.

I'm considering generating them on the fly (just before launching mame)... I'll see how that works :)

Thanks again for the idea, this is great!

Art

Aceldamor

• Offline Offline
« Reply #71 on: April 23, 2004, 01:10:17 pm »
Hey Bio...what about getting permission from Marlaxle (since his agreement says not to modify his code) and modding his program.

I'm tempted to start looking at all the web tutorials for C+ and VB and start toying with all that stuff so I could actually contribute to this place...

BTW...ANYBODY ELSE INTERESTED IN THE SAME LCD SCREEN THAT MARLAXLE, BIO, AND MYSLEF HAVE..PM ME. THE GUY WHO MAKES THEM AND SELLS THEM ON EBAY LIVES ABOUT 4 MILES FROM ME AND ASKED ME IF THERE WERE ANY OTHER PARTIES INTERESTED.  I DON'T KNOW WHAT THE QUANTITIES WOULD BE, BUT HE WOULD SELL THEM FOR 20 BUCKS A SHOT.
Fuzzy Wuzzy was a woman!

chrisindfw

• Offline Offline
  • I drank what?
« Reply #72 on: April 23, 2004, 01:18:56 pm »
I wrote a quick VB program that creates the files for me. I tried the one earlier but I think his version of the XML files were different than mine.

It worked pretty good. I just need to plug everything in and test.

Also, regarding the power.... Looking at my IPAC, there are the 10 pins that are used for the LED harness. There are two pins on there that are for +5 and Ground... I will try to plug that into the LCD panel to get the power rather than having to run a wire from the pc.

If you see that guy, tell him I did not get any documentation with my screen I got from him. Other than that. Great!

Aceldamor

• Offline Offline
« Reply #73 on: April 23, 2004, 01:23:39 pm »
If you see that guy, tell him I did not get any documentation with my screen I got from him. Other than that. Great!

Chris...I can forward you the e-mail I got with instructions, pinouts and links for c+ code..You'll have to wait until I get home though...

BTW....cool to hear something on the prospect of another means to use theese LCD screens, Marlaxle's App is great, but since he isn't going to update, another "hand in the pot" is pretty cool! You'll have to post some screenies of the app/lcd in action when you get it working
Fuzzy Wuzzy was a woman!

wj2k3

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 22, 2006, 12:23:48 am
  • Not!
« Reply #74 on: April 23, 2004, 01:25:41 pm »
Aceldamor:  I would take a couple.  

chrisindfw

• Offline Offline
  • I drank what?
« Reply #75 on: April 23, 2004, 01:27:47 pm »
It works pretty good right now but its not customizable. Its all hard coded.. I will see what I can do and get some pics.

Chris...I can forward you the e-mail I got with instructions, pinouts and links for c+ code..You'll have to wait until I get home though...

BTW....cool to hear something on the prospect of another means to use theese LCD screens, Marlaxle's App is great, but since he isn't going to update, another "hand in the pot" is pretty cool! You'll have to post some screenies of the app/lcd in action when you get it working

Aceldamor

• Offline Offline
« Reply #76 on: April 23, 2004, 01:32:57 pm »
It works pretty good right now but its not customizable. Its all hard coded.. I will see what I can do and get some pics.

Cool....IM me your e-mail addy if it isn't in your profile and i'll send you the instructions.

I'll take a couple

I'll talk to him this weekend and have him whip up 2 of them..IM me your info so I know where to have them shipped.
Fuzzy Wuzzy was a woman!

chrisindfw

• Offline Offline
  • I drank what?
« Reply #77 on: April 26, 2004, 09:03:32 am »
Well, I got my LCD Panel from E-Bay. It works great. I was wondering about the power supply as I am first building a stand alone control panel before I do my cabinet and didnt want to run an extra wire from the pc to the box. Behold the power of the IPAC! I took two of the pins from the LED connectors on the IPAC and used the +5 and GND from that to power the LCD panel!

IT CAME TO LIFE! MUHAHAHAHAHA! (evil laugh)

I wrote a quick program to create lcd files based on the controls.dat file. It worked great. I sent the file to the LCD and BAM! It appeared!

Now the task of mounting it on my panel. I am debating the option of cutting a rectangle in my plexi for it or to just put the plexi over it. I have to try both.

Now the next part is to make a front end that will display the list of games that are not in the controls.dat file, allow you to play the game, then create the lcd file based on the button labels you choose.

That is dependent on how much work I have to do for my actual job! hehe

I want to thank everyone for putting up with my stupid questions. I will post pics shortly.

Aceldamor

• Offline Offline
« Reply #78 on: April 26, 2004, 11:20:44 am »
Are you going to put out your little app that spits out those files?
Fuzzy Wuzzy was a woman!

chrisindfw

• Offline Offline
  • I drank what?
« Reply #79 on: April 26, 2004, 11:23:05 am »
Yes.

I wish I could get mame to run in a smaller window that way you can run the game, get the inputs and create a new lcd file all at once.

I am still learning the powers of mame and the misc utilities.

Are you going to put out your little app that spits out those files?