Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: VERY Nice suprise  (Read 2343 times)

Lilwolf

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2022, 10:26:34 pm
VERY Nice suprise
« on: July 17, 2002, 12:35:53 am »
I've had my cabinet now for about a year.  Its a converted Captain America game.  I bought it originally to donate the board to the mame team (and I wanted a 4player cab).

Well, I got it and it was obviously a hack...  I got everything swapped over and have been using it for ages.  But I never really finished it (made it look nice).  So I was doing some work (moved the monitor back... redoing my control panels, ect).  I decided that I wanted to move my speaker hack up next to the speakers itself.  Since it was a hack, and I didn't really care that much, I decided to move the volume ocntrol up by the marquee... so I removed the marquee... and what did I find

My cabinet was originally a GAUNTLET machine!!!   This is definately one of my favorite games of all time!!!!

I cleaned it up some.  But it still has some crap over it... but I LOVE IT!

Now I have to find the original control panel and see if the original control panel still exists... and see whats on the side panels!

Any good salvant to use on the marquee that will remove the glue safely?  Rubbing alcohol is working but VERY VERY slow!

« Last Edit: July 17, 2002, 12:41:49 am by Lilwolf »

ErikRuud

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2021, 10:20:27 am
  • I'll build a cab for only 99.99.99!!!
    • Erik's humble video game page
Re:VERY Nice suprise
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2002, 09:41:11 am »
Try de-natured alcohol, or there is a product called Goo-Gone that works very well.

If the marquee is plastic, I would test it with a small drop in a corner where it won't show to make sure that it doesn't fog the plastic.
Real Life.  Still a poor substitute for video games!       
American Laser Games Wrapper
O2em Rom Utility

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2002, 08:50:35 pm »

I've had my cabinet now for about a year.  Its a converted Captain America game.  I bought it originally to donate the board to the mame team (and I wanted a 4player cab).

Well, I got it and it was obviously a hack...  I got everything swapped over and have been using it for ages.  But I never really finished it (made it look nice).  So I was doing some work (moved the monitor back... redoing my control panels, ect).  I decided that I wanted to move my speaker hack up next to the speakers itself.  Since it was a hack, and I didn't really care that much, I decided to move the volume ocntrol up by the marquee... so I removed the marquee... and what did I find

My cabinet was originally a GAUNTLET machine!!!   This is definately one of my favorite games of all time!!!!

Now I have to find the original control panel and see if the original control panel still exists... and see whats on the side panels!

Any good salvant to use on the marquee that will remove the glue safely?  Rubbing alcohol is working but VERY VERY slow!

Ok I'm gonna have to make fun of you a little.  You mean you've had your machine all this time and never took off the marquee? LOL

Ok I'm done. :)

1UP

• Token Junkie
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 11, 2014, 01:37:18 am
  • Yes, that is a joystick in my pocket.
    • 1UPArcade
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2002, 10:40:03 pm »
This reminds me, there's a retrofitted cab in a local deli that currently runs Marvel vs. Capcom.  From the profile, it's obvious that, despite its black paint job, it was once a Centipede cab!  It's a crying shame that so many classic machines have been gutted for the sake of the latest fighter fare...

Free resource for building your own rotating control panels!

My other job...

Lilwolf

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2022, 10:26:34 pm
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2002, 08:25:56 am »
As for the never taking the marquee off.

It's not backlit... So there really wasn't a reason to.

And the control panel shows crime fighters (which you couldn't really see that well, but makes sense now).

So I always assumed that was the original... and stopped caring.

Rick Osborn

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2002, 04:53:34 pm »

I have sideart files (Photoshop) for Gauntlet if you were planning to restore it.  I had a set of sideart printed over a year ago and it came out fantastic.

Rick