Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Wells Gardner VGA Arcade Monitor VS Flat Screen TV  (Read 4084 times)

Ano nymously

• Trade Count: (0)
Wells Gardner VGA Arcade Monitor VS Flat Screen TV
« on: July 16, 2002, 03:09:06 am »
Okey I making a new Cabinet and I still haven't decided if I going to put an Arcade VGA Monitor or just a Flat Screen TV using a S-Video out.  I've seen how the games looks on a s-video TV but I wasn't impress on how the WindowsOS looks on it.  I'm leaning toward the VGA Arcade monitor but I want to hear someone's own experience with this.  Does the game looks Pixelated?  Any problem using Windows and reading files and documents?  

Any advice is appreciated.  

Leo Sump

Re:Wells Gardner VGA Arcade Monitor VS Flat Screen TV
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2002, 02:03:20 am »
I own the WG D9200 27" and it looks MUCH better than the same computer does on my Sony WEGA 36" HDTV (flatscreen) through SVideo.

Anon ymously

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2002, 02:42:52 am »
 :)
Thanks I guess I'll go with the WD d9200.  Is that the regular version (not the one for I.T. Golf)?  Does it come with power supply/cord or do I have to order that separately?

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 21, 2004, 03:44:18 am
  • Banned for abusive postings.
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2002, 03:04:55 am »
VGA VGA VGA...you are in the right track my friend.vga look as clean as regular pc monitor..only better.no pixeled out or blockyness..nothing..its too good.tv is horrible..i used my toshiba for like an hour with s-video and my eyes already stared to burn...telling ya man..make sure you go with vga arcade ;).

Beeman

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2002, 07:22:21 am »
Question...Do the WG92000 monitors connect via a standard VGA connector?  If not, are they fairly easy to connect to the PC???  

Mark

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2002, 03:29:48 pm »
connect direct.
why would you pay 500$ then hack some more?

Anonymously

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 26, 2005, 02:13:11 am
  • MarMags Arcade
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2002, 12:58:18 am »
Thanks snake, does Wells Gardner VGA already comes with power cord/adapter? or do I still have to order it separately?  BTW how much did the shipping cost?
Thanks again. :D
No Offense, it's just a suggestion

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2002, 01:53:27 am »
i dont have wg9200 myself..i got the 19".they come with 3 pong power cord..nothing to worry there at all..but shiping would likely kill ya...its like 75 LBS...atleast $100 there..although my 19" only cost me $26 shiping..who knows..if you decide..call wells and get an estimate..its defintly worth the money if you actually have it..i am a poor bastard who is out of money..cant afford 27" and top of that i am the only one who ever touches my machine...so i am good with 19".if you reallly really really need to see some pics on how it might display then post again...i willl upload some pics....MAYBE!!!

Carsten Carlos

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 28, 2014, 05:06:25 am
  • Projects: Centipede extended, Asteroids
    • Carlos' Centipede-extended
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2002, 09:21:22 am »
Well, on my WellsGardner you had to order the power-cord seperately. Look at http://www.wellsgardner.com -you most likely get the best price if you order directly from them. Ask the shipping-costs before, for me it'd have been $347, but I'm located in Germany! ;D

I've got a 19" U3100 -its very cool & authentic looking, but windows looks also poor on it. I guess you must decide between authentic arcade-game or kind of blockieness when you want to use it addition for PC-games, Internet and more.

First I wanted to make it all, but now I realized that it's just stupid for me to do everything with it - Hey it's supposed to look like a cool arcade-cab, and not like your local internet-kiosk! Anyway, I've three PC's (including an old Laptop) that are connected/connectable to the internet, so why should I do anything different then arcadegames on my cab?

If you wanna see some pictures from the monitor in action, you might look at my page. This monitor is only available as 14" & 19" - I didn't want more anyway 'cause most all classics did go with 19", plus I make it rotable anyway.

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2002, 01:16:41 pm »
carlos,

you actually had blockyness there???

wow :o,mine is eygo because i cant afford U3100..also,since i only had 1 computer a while ago.i used that same arcade monitor for everything..includes web surfing,mame,other emulators,pc games..windows look fine..but still not for regular pc setup..because of scanlines...I LOVE THESE MONITOR!!!

Carsten Carlos

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 28, 2014, 05:06:25 am
  • Projects: Centipede extended, Asteroids
    • Carlos' Centipede-extended
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2002, 03:02:59 pm »
Oops, guess I was a bit confusing. No, I've got absolutely NO blockyness 'cause of the nice WG U3100!  :D

The blockyness I meant is only with the normal PC-monitors - they are good if you wanna do everything with them, but it's just not the same as a real (or mostly real in this case) arcade-monitor!

On the other hand, web surfing might be possible but it's not that much fun on an U3100. Especially when you are used to highquality monitors like Sony or other more expensive stuff.

Anonymously

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 26, 2005, 02:13:11 am
  • MarMags Arcade
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2002, 01:07:33 am »

if you reallly really really need to see some pics on how it might display then post again...i willl upload some pics....MAYBE!!!

Sure, Please do.  BTW can you do web surfing and reading some text on it?  I'm planning use my cab not only for gaming but for some extra stuff.  Who knows maybe an FTP also, but kinda want to use it as a regular PC if possible. ;)
No Offense, it's just a suggestion

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2002, 01:40:07 pm »
MAN...everything works...i used my monitor for everything for couple of month.you can easyly read texts and use it for other stuff too..think of it as a mix between true arcade monitor and pc monitor..not too fuzzy but look great for games.GET IT,GET IT.i ordered a new athlon XP 2000,as soon as i get it i will post some pics..for now i am using the computer i have for web surfing and all..and using the cabinet to play dreamcast games mainly..you gotta wait until i get my new motherboard..i will post the project then so you can take a look..there is nothing to decide here..if you got money,this is the best you can get.