Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: 1993 At&T “You will”  (Read 377 times)

fallacy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2024, 12:27:45 am
1993 At&T “You will”
« on: March 21, 2024, 01:17:35 pm »
One of my favorite commercials as a kid were these At&T “You will” commercials. It is inportant to note every prediction of the future was basically a pre-internet prediction. Now with every prediction You can just say your smartphone can do that.

With apps like Speechify I want an AI Tom Selleck voice so we can continue to make more future prediction videos.

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 03:33:28 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
Re: 1993 At&T “You will”
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2024, 12:46:27 pm »
Those are interesting, but I don't know how instrumental they were in any of those technologies, other than that they had (and probably still have) the best infrastructure for remote delivery.  But others are catching up.    The internet was around a long time before people used it for shopping and showing others what they had for dinner.  I'm guessing their marketing team made a laundry list of emerging tech and/or things they were discussing with partners and those ads were the result.  The faxing from the beach thing is a jarring exception though...not sure a lot of younger people even know what a fax machine looks like.  It also shows how somewhat naive we were at the time about the negatives of a totally interconnected society.  Convenience is great, but the cost is sometimes much higher than expected.

Sellick has a good narration voice, but I wonder how many would even recognize it today.  There are a number of tools which can run locally on your machine to do it for you if you are serious :)  A good VR machine can do a pretty good job with many free and local AI apps.  You just need some Python familiarity to get them running.

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2024, 10:26:27 pm »
I was just playing around with some of the AI voices I have on Speechify. First thing I had to do was extract the music from Tom Selleck voice over. I could not get it right in Adobe Audition tools but then I discovered this AI tool called UVR5 and it gave me the results I wanted. I then Had AI read out the lines from the first commercial and put it all together in Adobe Premiere.

Man I wish I had an  AI Tom Selleck voice.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:58:22 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2024, 10:45:32 pm »
They still wake up Gene Hackman for voice overs, Tom Selleck has a long career ahead of him.

It’s been a few years since I’ve worked in a clinical environment, but fax machines and dvdrs reigned supreme.  Aren’t fax machines from the 1830s?

:cheers:

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2024, 12:13:54 am »
Fax word was being used loosely. Looked more like an email that might be getting sent to a fax machine for printing, but how that thing was was hooked up to a phone line from the beach was also not explained.

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 03:33:28 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2024, 02:35:05 am »
Man I wish I had an  AI Tom Selleck voice.

I'm sure there are hours and hours of audio you can pull from Magnum PI and the few movies he did.  He actually sounded pretty similar in the "reverse mortgage" ads, albeit considerably older.   Might take a little sifting to get snippets with the intonation and cadence you like, but once you have a minute or so of a representative sample, there are tools you can feed it into to get a good result.  A couple don't even require any real training, but they tend to sound more accurate if you let them chew on the data for a while.