Main > Driving & Racing Cabinets

SOLVED: Need help with U-hid nano and Pole Position

(1/2) > >>

Kid Raster:
Morning all-

I have just had the worst luck getting this to work, and I have spent hours reading lots of information on the internet as well as documentation from Andy @ Ultimarc- but I am just stymied.
I may be making my problems worse each time I try a new wiring configuration too- I'm not too bright.   :dizzy:

Can anyone here that knows what I'm dealing with have mercy upon me and help me solve this dreadful problem?  Beers/coffees will be bought.  Many thanks for reading!

KR

PL1:

--- Quote from: Kid Raster on March 27, 2024, 09:53:57 am ---I have just had the worst luck getting this to work, and I have spent hours reading lots of information on the internet as well as documentation from Andy @ Ultimarc- but I am just stymied.

--- End quote ---
Pretty sure the U-HID can't be configured for the "active high" inputs from the Pole Position steering wheel optical board -- you'll need an encoder like the OptiPac for that.

You may also find useful info in these posts.

--- Quote from: PL1 on February 17, 2022, 01:47:56 pm ---
--- Quote from: leapinlew on February 17, 2022, 12:42:40 pm ---The pedals are pots, right?

--- End quote ---
The Pole Position upright cab has only one pedal.  The sit-down cab has two pedals.
- The upright and sit-down cabs both have a potentiometer gas pedal.
- The sit-down cab has a microswitch brake pedal.

See pages 44-45 of the manual here.

To interface with the Pole Position cab controls, you'll need a PCB or encoder(s) that can handle three types of inputs.
- Optical (mouse) inputs from the wheel.
- Analog (potentiometer) input from the gas pedal.
- Digital (microswitch) inputs from the shifter, coin door, and (if you have a sit-down cab) brake pedal.

The other thing you'll need to deal with is that the Pole Position optical board is an "active high" device, but most optical encoders are "active low" devices.
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156286.msg1641780.html#msg1641780

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: PL1 on January 10, 2018, 07:02:15 pm ---
--- Quote from: jalamaac on January 10, 2018, 05:02:24 pm ---i have a Pole Position and i am trying to hook up the Opti-Pac but i seem to not get any mouse movement... anyone have a how to or information on something i may be doing wrong.

--- End quote ---

X1 and X2 are the data lines.

Set your multimeter to Volts and check the following:

1. Is ground connected to the ground pin?

2. Is 5v connected to the 5v pin?

3. When you slowly turn the wheel, do the data lines alternate between logic high (near 5v) and logic low. (near 0v)
- A line that is stuck high or low points toward a bad opto. (or possibly a bad board)

This quadrature waveform shows what you would see on the data lines (A and B) when you slowly turn the wheel clockwise.

--- End quote ---

Scott

Kid Raster:
Scott thanks- good seeing you again.  Thanks a lot for your reply.

I was almost positive I have seen this achieved with only a U-hid nano (which is what convinced me to buy one) because of the Quadrature capability- but maybe it was a dream- I dunno.  :dunno

So- I DO happen to have an Opti-pac as well.  I'm guessing that the U-hid will at least allow me to use the analog pedal (it's an upright) and the shifter/coin.
Now, I guess I could still use a little nudge as far as setting up the Opti-pac right...Andy's link on his post on the thread you linked to is a 404 now.  :P

Kid Raster:
Steering is fixed now via OptiPac- very cool, thanks for that!
Now I have the shifter and coin working with the U-hid nano, but I can't figure out where the pedal needs to go.  Here is a picture of what I am working with, if someone could point me in the right direction on where to connect these to the U-hid nano I would be eternally grateful!   :cheers:

PL1:

--- Quote from: Kid Raster on March 27, 2024, 02:14:26 pm ---I was almost positive I have seen this achieved with only a U-hid nano (which is what convinced me to buy one) because of the Quadrature capability- but maybe it was a dream- I dunno.  :dunno

--- End quote ---
The original optical board won't work with the U-HID because the logic high/low voltage levels are different for active high devices vs. active low devices.

IIRC someone changed out an active high original optical board for a Happ Red Board (active low device) to interface the controls with just a U-HID Nano.

https://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,166213.msg1752485.html#msg1752485

https://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,160573.0.html

--- Quote from: Kid Raster on March 27, 2024, 08:34:17 pm ---Steering is fixed now via OptiPac- very cool, thanks for that!
Now I have the shifter and coin working with the U-hid nano, but I can't figure out where the pedal needs to go.  Here is a picture of what I am working with, if someone could point me in the right direction on where to connect these to the U-hid nano I would be eternally grateful!   :cheers:

--- End quote ---
That pic shows J25.  Pin 1 is on the left.

Pin 1 (green) - Ground (Frame ground)
Pin 2 (red) - 5v from U-HID (Potentiometer 5v)
Pin 3 (black) - Ground from U-HID (Potentiometer ground)
Pin 5 (green) - Wiper (Potentiometer center tab) to analog input on U-HID

https://www.arcade-museum.com/manuals-videogames/P/Pole_Position_SP218_2nd_Printing_Sheet_2ab.pdf

Scott

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version