Software Support > GroovyMAME

Groovymame Win 10 Sound Dips (Slowdown)

(1/3) > >>

trev1976:
Hi
Recently I rebuilt 2 groovymame computers , both run win 10 and GM 0.257 , I've noticed on both that when playing neo geo games the sound will slowdown for a second randomly (could happen on other games , I havnt tested) the visuals and gameplay seem fine.

I've put both computers in High performance mode but hasn't helped.

1x Q9550 , 4gb Ram ,HD7570
1x I5 3470 , 8gb Ram, HD7570

I tried out some games on retroarch and havnt noticed and dips ? Any ideas ?

I didn't have this problem with my old XP , E8500 , HD4350, 0.147 build, but that died :(

Thanks

lilshawn:
the core 2 duo E8500 actually has a faster single core speed (3.1ghz) over the q9550 (2.83ghz)  in synthetic loads... the only thing the quad core does better is multicore loads due to the larger L2 cache 12mb vs 6mb but due to the way emulators (and software in general), mame only really takes advantage of dual core cpus (one thread game emulation and a seperate thread to handle sound (unless that has since changed...)) which doesn't really apply here so having more cores doesn't really help.

overall the q9550 is only about 17% faster than the E8500... and that only because of its multicore performance.

you want the fastest single core speed CPU you can shoehorn in there.

if you are set in the 775 socket, check your compatibility with your mobo... but see if you can get a hold of QX9770 - 3.2 GHz ( with FSB 400 x8)

The QX9770 is obviously the best 775 chip but it will require a high end motherboard which supports an effective FSB of 1600 MT/s (400 x 4)...this chip is still extremely expensive even on the used market RN... it's likely just cheaper and easier to go with an 1150 socket motherboard. hell, even keep a look out for a used AMD AM3+ motherboard and CPU combo with like a FX8350. saw one go on the local craigslist for 50 bucks for the mobo and cpu and 8gb ram and it's single core speed\ about 25% faster than either of those CPUs you got there.

burn_654:
I would start with lowering your framedelay a little bit (if enabled) to see if it helps. You may lose some of its benefit but it can be pretty performance intensive - I noticed sound dips that were a result of the game running a few percent slower in parts because the higher framedelay stressed that build too much.

trev1976:
OK thanks guys , I'll try a few things out.

Zebidee:
If you're using an older case with newer mobo, make sure that you have the right front panel audio (FP_AUDIO) connector. Intel started using HD_Audio connectors instead of AC'97 around or before the times of Core2Duo. Both are 2x5 pin headers, so easy to mix up. If a HD_Audio connector is unknowingly connected to an AC'97 header or cable, it can have unintended consequences. Sparks or explosions unlikely, but (for example) plugging a pair of headphones into the headphone jack may not mute the speakers as expected.

This article discusses the matter: https://superuser.com/questions/419038/hd-audio-or-ac97-connector-which-to-use-when-and-whats-the-difference, and there is plenty more if you do an internet search.

You may also want to check your BIOS settings.

As you reported no problems using Retroarch, maybe it is software, check sound settings in your mame.ini. "portaudio" has been known to cause some issues.

Re: doubling down on lilshawn's comments, I still use Core2Duo machines with 775 mobos and E7X00 - E8600 CPUs for mame - I wouldn't bother with the quad core CPUs. A E8500 will give you better mame performance than a Q9550.

The E8XXX CPUs are very good performers in general and very cheap these days, although the E8600 3.33Ghz is a bit harder to find as it is the top of the line (though I've heard about an unofficial E8700, but rare like hen's teeth). As a testament to their single-core performance and durability, the E8600 are (were?) popular with overclockers, presumably adding to their rarity (wonder how many have been burned up?).

EDIT: comparing E8500 with Q9550, they both have very similar single core and dual-core performance, however the E8500 is rated at 65W vs the Q9550 rated at 95W. So the Q9550 uses nearly 50% more power to do the same thing as the E8500, produces more waste heat too.

EDIT2: I've overclocked an E8600 to over 4Ghz and was able to run Gauntlet Legends at "full speed" with no latency/stutter. Could have gone much higher apparently, but that was just one-time for the giggles, generally I don't overclock CPUs.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version