Main > Main Forum

Four-Player + Trackball USB Controller/Encoder

(1/2) > >>

seattledavid:
I am building out a custom four player + trackball cabinet. What do you recommend for an all-in-one controller for use on a Windows box with MAME?

Thank you!

PL1:
If you haven't already done it yet, carefully work through the design process in this section of the FAQ -- especially step 2.  It will help you clarify what you will need to build the cab you want.
https://wiki.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/FAQ#What_type_of_build_meets_my_needs.3F

Since you're planning a 4 player build, check out this list of games and avoid angled joysticks for P3 and P4. (green is good, red is bad)

https://wiki.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?title=Multi-Player_Games

--- Quote from: seattledavid on February 20, 2024, 04:02:34 pm ---all-in-one controller

--- End quote ---
Several questions to clarify what you are asking about:

1. Does it have to be an "all-in-one"?
- It would be far easier to use an IPac4 for the joysticks/buttons and a separate optical encoder for the trackball.

2. What do you mean by "all-in-one"?
- From your post, it appears that you're looking for a composite device that at a minimum includes an optical encoder for the trackball and a keyboard/gamepad encoder for the microswitch joysticks and buttons, right?
- Do you need one that includes an LED controller or an encoder for specialized controls like analog joysticks, rotary joysticks, etc.?

3. How many buttons per player?
- Six for P1 + P2 and four for P3 and P4 will cover almost all MAME games.

Scott

Fursphere:
https://www.ultimarc.com/control-interfaces/i-pacs/i-pac-ultimate-i-o/

Supports 4 players, trackball, and spinner if you so choose.   (count the inputs to make sure it'll support exactly what you want to do with it)

smazze:

--- Quote from: seattledavid on February 20, 2024, 04:02:34 pm ---I am building out a custom four player + trackball cabinet. What do you recommend for an all-in-one controller for use on a Windows box with MAME?

Thank you!

--- End quote ---

I just completed this exact thing. Used iPac 4 and ultimarc trackball and spinner usb versions. LaunchBox/Big box front end. Love it so far, wouldn’t have changed a thing.

Ye Bobbum Man:
So I am planning on building something similar here shortly.  I have previously built a 2 player bartop arcade with retropie but I am somewhat confused about how to wire the arcade sticks and buttons.  On my current setup both player 1 and 2 controller/buttons have their own encoder.  The IPAC 4 seems to be a different animal, so to speak, as from what I understand everything gets wired into that.  My plan is to have 4 players w/ 8 buttons each as well as start/select buttons (I understand most older games use 4 buttons for player 3 and 4 but plan on playing modern games on the arcade).  Can I just do what I did previously and utilize the separate encoders that come with the button kit or will I need to get in ipac 4?  If I don't then can the trackball just be connected to the PC via USB?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version