Main > Project Announcements

The Web - VirtUal Pinball eXTreme

(1/7) > >>

Ond:
In the mid 90s a pinball game for PC (and other platforms) was released called Pro Pinball The Web. It was DOS based to start with. I remember the game play and realism was really good compared to other PC pinball games at the time. I revisited it many times over the years including more recently. There were other tables released by Cunning Developments including TimeShock! and others, but this was my favourite in the series. I remember thinking "I wish this could be played on a Vpin in a proper playfield aspect"...

Over on the VPForums I noticed that a member mfuegemann had created a VPX table based closely on the original. On current hardware it plays beautifully (and accurately) especially at 4K.  It was all the excuse I needed to start this project. A 3/4 scale Vpin themed around this game!  I will also be working on my other main project - Pac Man Legion in the coming weeks.

Whilst I began construction on the cabinet I also started to work on the artwork.  The only available artwork for this game is some low res stuff for the back glass and a little for the playfield.

I'm using two monitors, a crisp 4K LG for the main display and a high quality NEC 4:3 unit for the back glass. The backglass screen has a res of 1600 x 1200 and I was determined to get artwork to suit.

To kick of the project I'll share the results of that effort  :)

The original back glass artwork generally looks like this:

Closer up on a 1600 x 1200 screen it looks like this;

My reworking, drawn from scratch ended up like this:

Which close up has more satisfying fidelity:

It looks really nice, bright and clear on the back glass monitor. Plenty of build pics, details and the usual gab you've come to expect from me on the way  ;D

Ond:
The build so far.

Firstly I must acknowledge other inspirations for building a Vpin.

Malenko's vpin builds got me interested in the first place. You can check out a version of that Here. It's a cute little vpin build fully packed with hardware and looks great finished!

My cabinet is a bit bigger, somewhere around 3/4 scale I guess. That leaves a bit more room for hardware. I'm still undecided about fitting legs to it or having it sit on a table top..  :dunno

I read up on a bunch of build techniques and stuff and then pretty much threw all that out of the window and started making it up as I go along.  Most build information is about full size Vpins and often references real pinball machine fabrication methods. That's all good an all but I have my own criteria for success..so...

Still at raw MDF and Marine Ply build stage. I love pics of other peoples raw timber stage projects so here's a few:

The back glass box has to fold down as per the real thing, so I made my own custom brackets which pivot in bushings fitted into the cabinet.

Fit of the playfield and back glass de-cased monitors:

A look inside at the first fitting of some hardware including Subwoofer amp, main amp, main amp power supply and Vesa mount plate:

View under the vesa mount plate to the  6.5" subwoofer driver:

The main speakers and tweeter arrangement. These fit neatly just behind the back glass monitor with a 3/4 inch or so gap beneath the monitor to allow sound out. (You can see that in a previous pic up above):

Subby from underneath, Its recessed right into the thick timber housing in the cabinet. I may or may not cover it with a grill.

This will be running fairly new PC hardware including:

12th gen Intel i7 CPU
DDR 5 supporting motherboard, 32 GB DDR 5 RAM
RTX 3060 Ti GPU

I'm still undecided about the front end software, happy to take recommendations. Apart from the main theme table it will run perhaps another 8 or so tables.

Malenko:

--- Quote from: Ond on February 19, 2024, 10:29:18 pm --- You can check out a version of that Here. It's a cute little vpin build fully packed with hardware and looks great finished!

--- End quote ---

Gingerballs is elated to be mentioned!

I'm sure whatever you make will be a ton better but I'm glad I inspired some people to give it  go. Your pinball is going to have better specs than my main rig (a lowly 11th gen i5-11400F).
The one thing I wished I did different was make the monitor come up like a regular playfield , was kinda hoping yours would so I could steal your method for my next one :)

Zebidee:
Great to see more awesome builds coming from you Ond.

If you haven't done so already, be sure to check out Laythe's shape-shifter vpin. Another great project that pays homage to Gingerballs.

Where do you find an NEC 4:3 1600x1200 monitor, and are they expensive?

Ond:

--- Quote from: Malenko on February 20, 2024, 08:13:02 pm ---The one thing I wished I did different was make the monitor come up like a regular playfield , was kinda hoping yours would so I could steal your method for my next one :)

--- End quote ---

I'll document my setup with plenty of detail, hopefully it will be useful to you. I remember watching your build come together and thinking "damn I want one like that". :cheers:

--- Quote from: Zebidee on February 20, 2024, 10:59:38 pm ---Great to see more awesome builds coming from you Ond.

If you haven't done so already, be sure to check out Laythe's shape-shifter vpin. Another great project that pays homage to Gingerballs.

Where do you find an NEC 4:3 1600x1200 monitor, and are they expensive?

--- End quote ---

Thanks Zeb, I followed Laythe's Shape-Shifter build at the time in pure AWE. That build is a Tier -1 project of which there are only a few. Laythe is on my A-List of builders, which is a real short list.

Yeah that monitor...I bought it years ago when I actually worked for NEC Australia. We needed a new fridge at the time and that monitor cost more!  :lol I think it predates IPS technology, but the full range viewing angles are astounding, right out to 178.  Of course pics are the proof, so I'll post them when I get to that stage. Chance of locating one now..very low I'd think. Retail price at the time was about $850, with my employee discount I think I paid about $650.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version