Arcade Collecting > Merit/JVL Touchscreen

JVL Orion no IO Board found

(1/3) > >>

rcdude1990:
Hey! I've done some searching for jvl and the io board not found but I'm having some issues on mine.
I picked up an orion for free as the person that got it tried to get it working but couldn't.
I power it up and it gets to the jvl blue screen with loading bar, and then I get a no io board found.

First question, is the io board the board that has the itouch key on it? Or is it the board that connects to the "link board" (if that makes sense)

Upon inspecting, it looks like someone tried to makeshift a battery replacement. From reading other posts here.. I understand there is a soldered battery on this board. If there is no battery will it be giving this io board not found error?
Now I did grab a 3.6v battery I had laying around from a old window sensor from an alarm system... I tried to make shift it to connect to the wires that where soldered on but I still have a error.

Lastly, does anyone know the correct placement for these connections to the motherboard? There are 3 ribbon cables basically and I'm thinking maybe the guy before me may have moved them around?

rcdude1990:
Pics

rcdude1990:
More

rcdude1990:
Not sure why pics look weird

lilshawn:

--- Quote from: rcdude1990 on February 14, 2024, 03:06:22 pm ---First question, is the io board the board that has the itouch key on it? Or is it the board that connects to the "link board" (if that makes sense)

--- End quote ---

no, the IO board is the box that has the security key and the battery on it.

--- Quote from: rcdude1990 on February 14, 2024, 03:06:22 pm ---Upon inspecting, it looks like someone tried to makeshift a battery replacement. From reading other posts here.. I understand there is a soldered battery on this board. If there is no battery will it be giving this io board not found error?

--- End quote ---

it is supposed to have a "CR 1/2" "CR 1/2 AA" "1/2 AA" "LS250" "LS14250" they go by lots of names/conventions. you want a battery with wire leads on it and a "Lithium Thionyl Chloride" (Li-SoCl2) formulation. the original manufacture used in these boards is either "Saft" or "Tadrian" if you google "1/2 Lithium Thionyl Chloride" you'll see what you need.

i have in the past replaced these with a button cell battery holder and then used a conventional CR2032 bios type battery in it's place. they do not recharge the battery, so you needn't worry about blocking diodes or anything.

it's possible that not having a battery is causing issues... they are a little weird.

--- Quote from: rcdude1990 on February 14, 2024, 03:06:22 pm ---Now I did grab a 3.6v battery I had laying around from a old window sensor from an alarm system... I tried to make shift it to connect to the wires that where soldered on but I still have a error.

--- End quote ---

it's possible that the wires could be soldered improperly. if i recall, one side (the negative end) has 2 leads on it, while the other side (the positive side) has one.  it's a kind of polarity protection. so you may have to use a loop of wire to connect the 2 througholes together to make sure that they are for sure, connected together.

--- Quote from: rcdude1990 on February 14, 2024, 03:06:22 pm ---
Lastly, does anyone know the correct placement for these connections to the motherboard? There are 3 ribbon cables basically and I'm thinking maybe the guy before me may have moved them around?

--- End quote ---

it's possible they are wrong. there is a lot of same connections on the board where something can be plugged onto it in like 3 or 4 places....but only one would be right.

your breakout board (the one that goes to the most connections on the board and has all the USB on it, should have a power connection, a USB connection and a serial connection.

your IO board should have power and a USB (black) connection which it looks like it does.

it's possible it's still wired wrong... i'm not sure how the orions do their internal connections... just the countertop units. but you can try moving your USB to one of the other ones to see if it's just expecting a specific port.

its also possible the IO board is no good.

it's also possible the software is corrupt.

try booting on the system while holding down the button on the IO board and see if it boots up to a software reload screen. if it does the IO board is being properly picked up... and it's the software that is buggered. if it doesn't it's something with the wiring.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version