Software Support > GroovyMAME

GroovyMiSTer

<< < (11/14) > >>

Calamity:

--- Quote from: wordsworth on January 18, 2024, 11:28:24 am ---What’s the benefit of using GroovyMAME into GroovyMiSTer instead of just using the MiSTer for everything?

--- End quote ---

Some will answer that MiSTer only emulates a small subset of MAME's catalogue. But we don't care, that's not the actual point.

The question is what's the benefit of using GroovyMAME + MiSTer(as gpu) vs GroovyMAME + PCIe gpu.

wordsworth:
Gotcha. I guess the FPGA allows you more control of the video output because you’re not having to hack through driver code that was written for completely different purposes.

So… is it then just a matter of time before the MiSTer catches up with software emulation and becomes the go-to emulation solution or is it just doing a different thing altogether? (maybe that question should go in a different thread)

Zebidee:

--- Quote from: wordsworth on January 18, 2024, 09:39:12 pm ---So… is it then just a matter of time before the MiSTer catches up with software emulation and becomes the go-to emulation solution or is it just doing a different thing altogether? (maybe that question should go in a different thread)

--- End quote ---

Mister will never be the "one-size-fits all killer emulation solution", although it certainly does fill some niches very well (like older computer and console emulation). Having said that, FPGA emulation is here to stay and will keep maturing, though the hardware to support it will change over time.

There will always be a role for other emulation platforms such as PC and Pi, for example. They all have their strengths and weaknesses. Even an old PC can emulate stuff Mister cannot do, but Mister might be faster to startup and more technically accurate. They also have different cost relativities. A complete Mister setup is going to be more expensive than a cheap-mid level PC + older video card.

I like the idea of keeping a Mister in an arcade cab or lounge room and being able to run a computer through it, but this is probably a false convenience for most people. It is not where the real potential is.

Given that modern video card manufacturers have abandoned analog outputs, it is very exciting to see Mister having the capabilities to substitute itself as essentially an external and alternative GPU for a PC (or other device). At the moment I can spend $20-$50 for an HD6XXX card vs somewhere well north of $300 for a MIster unit. But in the future those cost relativities and capabilities will change, so watch this space carefully.

Even now, the reduced latency alone will be a big enough thing for some people, people who will be willing to pay good money to save a few microseconds.

donluca:

--- Quote from: Calamity on January 18, 2024, 11:31:20 am ---https://github.com/antonioginer/GroovyMAME/releases/tag/gm0261sr002zz

Now it builds and works on Mac.

This user made the first build:
https://github.com/djfumberger/GroovyMAME/releases/tag/1.0.0

(I won't be keeping Mac builds myself)

--- End quote ---

Fantastic! Thanks!

This is a real revolution for macOS users as we don't have the luxury of having old video cards (nor software support) in our systems to output native 15Khz, so this enables all macOS computers with a gigabit ethernet (almost all of them) to finally have proper 15Khz output.

wordsworth:

--- Quote from: Zebidee on January 19, 2024, 04:53:35 am ---Mister will never be the "one-size-fits all killer emulation solution"

--- End quote ---

I think I’m starting to understand that now. I just read today that FPGA for retro gaming has almost reached its useful limit. Software emulation is much more capable on the more complex systems.

--- Quote from: donluca on January 19, 2024, 07:28:43 am ---so this enables all macOS computers with a gigabit ethernet (almost all of them) to finally have proper 15Khz output.

--- End quote ---

HUH? Wha? GroovyMame on a Mac? Well… now I’ve really got a predicament since I am a longtime Mac user/tech. The thought of plugging in my daily driver Mac into a MiSTer with a simple Ethernet cable and running native resolutions on my CRT is not something I thought possible.

@psakhis @Calamity Thank you so much for the work on this! Amazing stuff!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version