Main > Raspberry Pi & Dev Board

RPI 5 now at pre-sale. today.

<< < (2/4) > >>

Fursphere:

--- Quote from: lilshawn on September 29, 2023, 12:30:39 pm ---but i also get that for 80 bucks you could damn near buy a REAL computer and not a crippled down version of one.

--- End quote ---

You can find HP EliteDesk desktops on eBay for $100 shipped.  Listed as  i5-6500 16GB RAM 500GB HD Win10 Pro

No idea why anyone would pay $80 for a Pi when you can get a hell of a lot more for essentially the same price.

bobbyb13:
 :laugh2:

--- Quote from: pbj on September 29, 2023, 12:37:24 pm ---You know the drill....

Does it play Gauntlet Legends 100%??

--- End quote ---

I would love for it to have enough go to run Star Wars and Major Havoc at full speed on AdvanceMame.
The Pi4 still gags on those and I can't do anything to fix it.
I will forever be software and coding stupid so I need people smarter than me to write disc images for stuff.
Huge fan of mame mind you, but man is the configuration thing painful for for an ignoramus like me.

nitrogen_widget:

--- Quote from: lilshawn on September 29, 2023, 12:30:39 pm ---i think pi has lost focus as to what it was originally really designed to be.

a super cheap, throw away computer... that teaches about computer sciences and programming in schools. if a kid fried one... who cares. chuck it and give him a new one... he learned a lesson.

the pi as it is now...it is no longer that.

i mean, i get that the Pi zeros and picos is still super cheap... but how long before they get as bloated as the pi5 and starts costing 50 or 100 bucks? already hovering at close to 20 now with the zero2w and its due for another release soon... the OG pi only took 2 releases to hit 80 bucks

i also get that what pis are currently used for has gone far beyond what pi foundation had expected and they have altered their product line to reflect what the people are looking for, which is great! i mean, we don't get that from a lot of companies these days.

but i also get that for 80 bucks you could damn near buy a REAL computer and not a crippled down version of one.

--- End quote ---

you can't get one for the supposed price because they dedicate a large number of the production to companies that use the rpi in commercial products.
then retailers buy up the rest and jack up the price because "shortage".
hence pre-sale the same price as an rpi4.
which after pre-sale price will get jacked up again.

meanwhile the orange pi people are pumping out boards with eMMC (Thanks substring!) without too much of a supply issue it seems and cheaper.
which is increasing support because they are easier to get.

rpi started out with good intentions and delivered for a bit but now there are so many clones on the market plus quad core thin clients and old mini PC's with more power are just  so inexpensive.

SNAAKE:

--- Quote from: lilshawn on September 29, 2023, 12:30:39 pm ---i think pi has lost focus as to what it was originally really designed to be.

--- End quote ---

100% agree. why tffffffffffff would I get this when odroid n2+ is basically the best sbc for my $ and I can get it right now. for $60 I can easily get a better computer(dell or whatever) and run batocera.

and.......orange pi pc is really good for the $. couple of years ago i was buying them for $23 shippe WITH power supply and case thats just insane. ran retropie and it played all the old games and everything.

pbj:
And for $45 shipped I was buying some Arcade Legends Mini that was a solid single player joystick and came with a hockey puck emulation box that was reasonably easy to add games to.  If you connected via USB the control lag issues disappeared.  It would be flat out impossible to build that setup for less than double what I paid.

It’s a fantastic time to play ---smurfy--- old video games.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version