Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: JVL Retro  (Read 936 times)

EdJones

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 07, 2023, 08:03:38 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
JVL Retro
« on: June 05, 2023, 10:05:39 am »
Hi All.  Just recently picked up a JVL Retro from a local vendor.  Initially when I powered it up and threw the switch, I heard a sound like arcing somewhere in the switch area.  Realized there are 2 fuses inside the switch assembly.  Checked them and they are good.  Tested continuity for each of the 3 prongs on the power input, ground has continuity through.  But when testing the other 2, they had continuity to each of the inside fuse prongs but found nothing going to the male connectors on the back of the switch.   Tested the power supply outside of the machine and get proper voltages.

I'm suspecting the power switch but have no idea how to remove it.  All other internal components have been removed, just can't get to this one out.  Anyone have an idea how this and it's rear trim come apart ?

I could probably use a new switch once it's out.  Anyone have one ?

Eddie

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:47:27 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
Re: JVL Retro
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2023, 11:17:10 am »
switches do that from time to time. especially if you dont flick it fast enough, you mak.break the power at the top of the AC cycle and BZZT it arcs.

no big deal.

EdJones

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2023, 12:23:43 pm »
Unfortunately, it will no longer start.  As I mentioned it's not getting power to the main inputs on the back of the switch which go to the power supply and dollar acceptor.  It was flakey since I picked it up, now it won't go at all.

Thoughts ?

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:47:27 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2023, 10:25:01 am »
if that's the case, probably money rattling around in the machine made it way into the power supply and gave it the old chicago sidestep when you powered it on.

remove AC cord and remove the lower plastic shroud, then the steel power supply cover and inspect. be sure you remove the power supply from the case and check underneath. check the fuse next to the 2 prong AC input connector on the power supply to see if it's blown.

if nothing is found amiss, remove AC input connector from the supply and probe with a meter and check for mains voltage coming in when the switch is turned on and off. if mains voltage is present... power supply is faulty. it'll be an LPT62 (or the like), search online at electronic parts places like mouser and newark... you can get them for about 100 bucks.

if it all looks okay, and still doesn't work... you'll have to dig a little deeper.

EdJones

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2023, 11:27:37 am »
Thanks for replying back.  I tested the power supply and it is good.  Yes....I did find .75 cents in the machine.  CHA CHING!!

It took more time to analyze it then it did to finally remove it.  I should have done this days ago.  After taking all of the screws out of the machine and still not being able to remove the back chrome plate, I noticed 5 rivets on the bottom which I drilled out. The rivets held in the cage in.  Wedged it over the raised screw holes which hold down the power supply. Once the cage was out, it was still riveted through the cage and black cover which shows through the back of the chrome. If I had found a way to remove the chrome plate from the back, the two rivets would have still needed to be removed. DONE!! Now to order the new switch and re-rivet it back together.