Main > Everything Else

GPU Prices: AI is the new Crypto

(1/6) > >>

RandyT:
It looks like AMD and Intel will have an opportunity to get a bigger chunk of the GPU market, as the brunt of AI applications are designed to use Nvidia's architecture.  All they need to do is get the bang-for-buck of their products back up to a reasonable level, and either one of them could establish themselves as the new king of the strictly-gamer GPU market.  The problem is that the GPU manufacturers tend to establish their pricing based on what others in the market have set. So, AMD may be missing an opportunity while Nvidia is apparently pricing their technologies for the demand being created by the AI markets, of which AMD is not currently a significant part. 

In light of the current glut of over-priced consumer GPUs on store shelves, the AMD situation should resolve itself.  But I don't expect Nvidia to buckle significantly on their pricing, so long as demand continues on the AI front.  After all, why would they kill themselves to produce massive numbers of mid-range consumer cards with razor-thin profit margins, especially when production capacities may still be somewhat limited, and the die-hard gamer types have shown that they will spend nearly anything to get the latest high-end GPUs?

AI isn't going away any time soon, at least in my view and in the view of almost anyone else who has been paying attention, so the only thing which will eventually bring the GPU prices back to sanity will be specialized AI processing hardware, which can go head-to-head with Nvidia's technology.  But that could still be a ways off in the future.  So I guess the gamers out there with shallow pockets should be rooting for the success of AMD at the moment, because they don't appear to be getting much love recently from Nvidia.

Anyone else see the current market this way?

lilshawn:
honestly on a consumer level, AI is not really setup for what we all have going on. chatGPT was trained on 10,000 GPU's... not even close to anything any of us can muster. even 99% of cryptofarms don't push like that...  but then, once it's training is done... it needn't that horsepower anymore.

as for AI art, sure... you need some power for rendering, but not 10k gpus worth unless you want it instantly. but your run of the mill 1600 series and up GPU's will be more than sufficient for the layperson dicking around with AI art.

AI in this case stands for "Artificial Inflation" and they are just looking for the next crypto inflation bubble so they can get 10x MSRP for cards again cause that was friggin SWEET.

my 2 cents (0.5 cents after taxes)

RandyT:

--- Quote from: lilshawn on May 23, 2023, 02:54:58 pm ---honestly on a consumer level, AI is not really setup for what we all have going on. chatGPT was trained on 10,000 GPU's... not even close to anything any of us can muster. even 99% of cryptofarms don't push like that...  but then, once it's training is done... it needn't that horsepower anymore.

--- End quote ---

That's correct, in theory.  However, it appears that currently, that's where the money is for AI.  For an LLM to be extremely effective, it needs to be trained on specific data for a specific application, and that data needs to be curated and a new specialized model created.  The big players have already jumped into the pool, and others will follow (or have started already.)  There are also more and more graphic (movie, static images, etc) and sound technologies which require this.  It's not uncommon for the people who do this seriously (i.e. for money) to have an AI image generation farm, similar to those which were used in mining.  I suspect the newer sound/voice technologies will need something similar.

In the age of AI customer service, a "farm" will be necessary to generate responses using the pre-trained models.  The larger the number of "virtual representatives", the larger the farm necessary to generate real-time responses with AI voice generation.

What we are seeing now is just scratching the surface of where it's going.  It wouldn't surprise me to see "AI appliances", akin to a specialized wireless router, being marketed to homes within the next 10 years.  I.e. something like an intelligent box where all the hardware lives that does the heavy lifting, sending and receiving instructions from AI-enabled devices in the home.

lilshawn:

--- Quote from: RandyT on May 23, 2023, 03:28:17 pm ---something like an intelligent box where all the hardware lives that does the heavy lifting, sending and receiving instructions from AI-enabled devices in the home.

--- End quote ---

I could see in the future an ASIC processor appliance (like the antminer crypto boxes) being used as the main AI processor in the household. an antminer doe anywhere from 3 to 30 terahashes a second of  crypto... plenty to get an instant response from pre-trained data... that can continously autotrain itself on the fly in it's "off time"

nitrogen_widget:
I upgraded everyone to RX 580's a little while back.
we should be set for a while.
our last cards were gtx 960 level. lol.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version