Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Electrical safety  (Read 1459 times)

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:52:41 pm
Electrical safety
« on: May 01, 2023, 04:10:02 am »
I've been having endless issues with ground loops on my Aussie lowboy arcade cab. I tried to do everything right. I DID do everything right. In the end, I just had to disconnect any connections to FG/earth because it just wasn't working otherwise.

Kinda need these earth grounds though, because cab has a metal control panel (safety!).

Sick and tired of issues, I finally decided to pull open the 3-pin wall power sockets and take a look. Now I know why they always look surprised.

Notice anything missing? Notice the active/neutral wires wrong way around? Only two wires but can't even get that right. Check out the chunk taken out of the insulation.

Geez. Time to call a (real) electrician.

Check out my completed projects!

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:56:52 pm
  • I believe I may need an intervention
Re: Electrical safety
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2023, 04:46:07 am »
That guy figures the "alternating" part of AC was which wire goes where then?!
 :o
Yeesh.
I would want to shut down the panel and check the rest of the house before I turned anything else back on.
How old is that building?

I see all kinds of similar spooky crap out here- regularly.

While doing demo work to upgrade old places here (and more than once!) I have found that some lazy dipshit has tied Romex into still energized 80 yr old knob and tube wire runs up in the attic.
They then dropped branches down the single wall construction to similar kind of surface mount boxes.

You want to see someone's jaw drop, show up to fix a 3 way light switch and inform them that you can do it, but it will be $20k because you can't touch it unless you replace all the wiring in the whole house.
And that's not even a joke.

I am no longer surprised when someone says they get shocked touching some plumbing in their house either.
It is a wonder that more places don't burn down.
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

Robbbert

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:40:45 am
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2023, 05:27:16 am »
That kind of wiring is criminal.

I agree - you should check out the rest of the house before anything else bad happens.

Also make sure the screws that hold the wires in haven't got loose - for some reason it seems to happen by itself over time.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2023, 08:32:00 am »
The building is only 5-6 years old. I clearly remember telling the electrician, reminding him, I wanted the grounds hooked up as well. I shouldn't even have to say anything. Why didn't I check this ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- earlier? Why should I have to?

Almost all the electricians around here (rural NE Thailand) just don't care, don't think it is necessary, it isn't their standard. What I don't get though is, I know there is a proper earth ground point at the back, for the aircon, so why the hell don't they just hook it up to that?

If there ever were any people of talent in this town, they long since left, to the big smoke, chasing better money.

Unfortunately it is another example of where, to get something done properly around here, I must become an expert myself and either do it myself, or literally stand over the guy that does it.

The one sparky around here I trust will pop over tomorrow, better check rest of the house too.

[/rant]

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:43:52 pm
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2023, 09:15:27 am »
Less wire used=more profit.

Electrical work isn't that complicated and the basic tools for it aren't that expensive.  It's a good life skill to have.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2023, 09:18:09 am by BadMouth »

Locke141

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2024, 06:00:00 am
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2023, 10:03:58 pm »
Yeah, I used to live in Low.

I was shocked at how much crazy wiring is in developing countries.

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:48:34 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2023, 11:36:42 pm »
I live in a VERY developed country and people who don't know better/dont give 2 poops do whatever gets them what they want. doesn't matter if it will burn down their house or kill you if you touch these two things at the same time.

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2023, 03:14:59 pm »
What's troubling is I see the same ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- here- often.
And there is an established protocol for inspecting builds and remodels too.
It doesn't always happen though of course.
The entirety of the mocern world is fast devolving into a place where barely anyone can/will do anything properly.

The building is only 5-6 years old. I clearly remember telling the electrician, reminding him, I wanted the grounds hooked up as well. I shouldn't even have to say anything. Why didn't I check this ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- earlier? Why should I have to?

Almost all the electricians around here (rural NE Thailand) just don't care, don't think it is necessary, it isn't their standard. What I don't get though is, I know there is a proper earth ground point at the back, for the aircon, so why the hell don't they just hook it up to that?

If there ever were any people of talent in this town, they long since left, to the big smoke, chasing better money.

Unfortunately it is another example of where, to get something done properly around here, I must become an expert myself and either do it myself, or literally stand over the guy that does it.

The one sparky around here I trust will pop over tomorrow, better check rest of the house too.

[/rant]
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2023, 06:08:29 pm »
What's troubling is I see the same ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- here- often.
And there is an established protocol for inspecting builds and remodels too.
It doesn't always happen though of course.
The entirety of the mocern world is fast devolving into a place where barely anyone can/will do anything properly.

In terms of standards and protocols, Thailand is pretty fast and loose.

Just got a new room under the house wired up. Instructed and monitored sparky's work and the materials very closely, as I know this guy is a bit dodgy - unfortunately they all are, anybody with real skills goes to work in the Big Smoke (BKK). Local economy, he cost me about $70 for day and a half of work and about the same again in materials (I pay directly). Maybe I could watch some YT tutorials and do it all myself, but would take me 5-10 times as long and I don't have that time. Besides, it is damn hot this time of year and I'd rather avoid working in the heat while saving time for $70.

Time. Choices. $$.

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2023, 05:03:11 am »
Consider that there are only four wires in a normal house in the US.
Unless you live in an industrial zone, and then potentially there might be five in your building because you have a three phase feed.
And unless you have very large motors that run forward and reverse then you still only need four wires anyway.
Every veteran on this forum could safely wire their own home with a few simple tips/caveats.

$70 will only get me for an hour- if I REALLY like you.  :lol
I'm not a paranoid person and still can count the people I trust to do any work for me on one hand.

Bad carpentry exposes itself with a slow list to port or starboard, lame plumbing at the speed of a steady drip...
Inadequate electrical work goes bad at the speed of light, so don't skimp or waste time in checking in on work!