Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: MiniPC that is CRT Emudriver compatible  (Read 1322 times)

faxesystem

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 14, 2024, 07:42:21 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
MiniPC that is CRT Emudriver compatible
« on: April 27, 2023, 03:29:11 pm »
I'm currently looking at building a third system for CRT Emudriver. I already have a big and a medium system with a R9 380X and a low profile R7 250. This time I would like to go super small. I stumbled upon the HP EliteDesk 705 G3 Mini with an AMD Pro A10-8770E. The AMD Pro A10-8770E APU features an AMD Radeon R7 (Bristol Ridge). Also the 705 G3 Mini features a VGA out. Has anyone already some experience with this system or these AMD APUs regarding compatability with CRT Emudriver? Would be a nice little system that is much more capable than an overpriced and slow Raspberry Pi. :D

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 08:06:32 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
Re: MiniPC that is CRT Emudriver compatible
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2023, 09:52:23 pm »
It... might work? APU's are a bit of a crapshoot with crt_emudriver, built-in-VGA ports generally don't work, and proprietary systems and particularly proprietary GPU's (HP, Lenovo, Dell) often have an OEM BIOS that can't be changed and isn't recognised by crt_emudriver.

If you already own one of those systems, or have a genuine backup use for one, by all means give it a shot. But without better confirmation that this system will work with crt_emudriver, or at least that some of the proprietary parts inside it do, i think the recommendation would be to buy at your own risk.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2024, 02:02:31 pm
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2023, 04:57:26 am »
Yes, as buttersoft said compatibility of CRT Emudriver with these older APUs is basically undefined, and with modern ones it's definitely a no-go.

Fortunately, these APUs work great on GroovyArcade (Linux), so that's the way if you want to go that route.

Check this: https://gitlab.com/groovyarcade/support/-/wikis/2-Pre-Requisites-and-Installation/2.2-Hardware-Examples
« Last Edit: April 28, 2023, 04:59:15 am by Calamity »
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

Substring

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:32:23 am
  • Forking GroovyArcade
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,160023.0.html
    • GroovyArcade active fork
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2023, 10:35:29 am »
I think the A10 is a problematic one, the A8 works better

I have a few of these EliteMiini (1 G1 with an A8, 1 G4 with a Ryzen 2200G), they work great on GroovyArcade.

faxesystem

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 14, 2024, 07:42:21 am
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2023, 12:00:59 pm »
Thank you all for your answers. I just ordered one for science. Never really gave Groovyarcade the attention it should get. If CRT Emudriver should not work out this will become a Groovyarcade system. Are there any plans for Kodi in Groovyarcade? I often use my CRT Emudriver systems to watch movies on my CRTs. :)

pixel69

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 21, 2023, 01:52:35 pm
  • I want to go back to the future
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2023, 02:37:57 pm »
Hello

I have an HP ELITEDESK 705 G3 DT MINI A10-9700E 8GB 256GB R7E, Windows 10
1 VGA port and 2 display port
It works with progressive mode but not in interlaced mode

Toonces

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 04, 2024, 11:25:24 pm
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2023, 07:32:16 pm »
I have a Lenovo 715q - Ryzen 5 2400GE. I couldn't get Emudriver working (probably me, not emudriver) but GroovyArcade installed and setup with relative ease with SuperResoltion & EDID Emulation using the built in VGA adapter. I will probably get an HP 705 G4 Ryzen 2400G for my next project as it's got a little more power than the 715Q. It's nice to have it all fit in the control panel cavity. I replaced an ArcadeLegends II (Hanaho board) PCB with a full GroovyMame setup using the original harness to a J-Pac. Used a Y Power cable splitter to adapter the cabinet's power adapter to power the new computer and Sound amp.

R25th

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 02:24:00 am
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2023, 10:56:57 pm »
Hello

I have an HP ELITEDESK 705 G3 DT MINI A10-9700E 8GB 256GB R7E, Windows 10
1 VGA port and 2 display port
It works with progressive mode but not in interlaced mode

Hello,
I have this exact same setup and I'm having a hell of a time getting vmmaker to find an output for EDID emulation (the dropdown is completely empty). My plan is to hook up the VGA port to a J-PAC but I've so far been unable to get the PC to output a signal that the J-PAC can sync to, 31hz or otherwise. I would rather not switch to linux because I've had a time getting Launchbox working and don't want to change launchers again.
So, I was wondering what your setup looked like where you could output progressive mode at all with that PC. I can switch PCs if I really need to but I'm already in the hole for this setup.
Thanks in advance!

jae

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 13, 2024, 05:43:57 am
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2023, 03:28:29 am »
I have a Lenovo 715q - Ryzen 5 2400GE. I couldn't get Emudriver working (probably me, not emudriver) but GroovyArcade installed and setup with relative ease with SuperResoltion & EDID Emulation using the built in VGA adapter. I will probably get an HP 705 G4 Ryzen 2400G for my next project as it's got a little more power than the 715Q. It's nice to have it all fit in the control panel cavity. I replaced an ArcadeLegends II (Hanaho board) PCB with a full GroovyMame setup using the original harness to a J-Pac. Used a Y Power cable splitter to adapter the cabinet's power adapter to power the new computer and Sound amp.

Does it work fine with interlace? If so is there there a big delay swapping between progressive and interlace?

I'd like to use it exclusively at 15khz 240p/480i. Wondering if superres/edid is absolutely mandatory on every setup (the only thing that was seamless for me is running it off an old ATI HD-series card where everything just works perfectly albeit no vulkan)