Main > Raspberry Pi & Dev Board

mini outrun arcade built from scratch wheel question

(1/3) > >>

oatcakeandy:
Hi all, i watched a vid the other day from a user down below who moded a mini racer to play outrun, this got me thinking of my next scale project, either a scale sitdown or standup Outrun cab, i have already done pacman, dragons lair and i have the woodworking / 3d printing skills down but i'm struggling to get my head around making the  steering wheel electronics . i have seen potentiometers, rotary encoders, pico boards, but i conna get me head how to connect this to the raspberry pi i'll be using and also getting Retropie to interpret the signals. Am i over thinking things ?
is it as easy as connecting up a pot/encoder to a zero delay board and switching it into analogue mode ? or even hacking a 360 controller and replacing the thumb controllers with pots??
ANY help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Andy

PL1:

--- Quote from: oatcakeandy on April 06, 2023, 10:11:48 am ---Hi all, i watched a vid the other day from a user down below who moded a mini racer to play outrun

--- End quote ---
I'm guessing you're referring to MrThunderwing's mini build in the Driving & Racing sub-forum.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,167412.0.html

--- Quote from: oatcakeandy on April 06, 2023, 10:11:48 am ---this got me thinking of my next scale project, either a scale sitdown or standup Outrun cab, i have already done pacman, dragons lair and i have the woodworking / 3d printing skills down but i'm struggling to get my head around making the  steering wheel electronics . i have seen potentiometers, rotary encoders, pico boards, but i conna get me head how to connect this to the raspberry pi i'll be using and also getting Retropie to interpret the signals. Am i over thinking things ?
is it as easy as connecting up a pot/encoder to a zero delay board and switching it into analogue mode ? or even hacking a 360 controller and replacing the thumb controllers with pots??

--- End quote ---
In MrThunderwing's case, he used a ZD encoder he already had with the leaf switches on the PCB for steering.
- Makes sense that he used the leaf switches since the cab, wheel, and PCB were designed around them and there's a limited range of motion with the wheel so a potentiometer or rotary encoder is not as good a choice.

In your case, I'd recommend using an Arduino Pro Micro instead of an analog-capable ZD or hacking a 360 controller.
- Low cost.
- Plenty of input ports.
- Avoids possible problem with switching the ZD to analog mode -- not sure if the ZD stays in analog mode after power loss.   :dunno
- Smaller than the ZD encoder.
- Plugs into USB on the RasPi.
- Firmwares are available for switches (HID keyboard or HID gamepad), rotary encoders (HID mouse or HID mouse/keyboard composite), or potentiometers (HID analog gamepad) so the Pro Micro will work with whatever input type you choose to use.

Scott

oatcakeandy:
Brilliant mate, thanks.
i'll have a look at that now

Andy

PL1:
Forgot to mention that you could avoid the Pro Micro, ZD, or 360 gamepad hack if you wire the PCB shown above directly to the RasPi GPIO pins and you know how to configure those pins as inputs.

Scott

oatcakeandy:
am i right in thinking once the pro micro has been programmed i can connect it via usb to the raspberry pi and it would recognise it as an input device or would it be better to output to the gpio pins on the pi ?

thanks

Andy

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version