Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Have you ever installed overlay on a dynamo cut corner CP?  (Read 649 times)

rackoon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 28, 2023, 02:29:36 pm
  • I EAT PENCILS!
Have you ever installed overlay on a dynamo cut corner CP?
« on: April 04, 2023, 09:16:55 pm »
I am almost done with a cab and the control panel is all that's left. Got me a bare metal street fighter control panel, and of course its a cut corner dynamo. (If you don't know, it looks like a folded taco on its side with the corners cut off.)

I have three options: :dunno

1. Have its orange peel powder coated  :P

2. Paint it smooth, put an overlay on just the top with plexiglass on it ???

3. Paint the cut corners and put overlay on the whole thing and trim around the cut corners :applaud:

I really want a blood spattered control panel overlay so the last two are my first choices. The third is the one I really want to do, but I have a bad feeling about trimming around the cut corners. The overlays usually are white on the edges and look like crap when not cut perfectly. I don't know if I can paint or stain that thin white edge. I do have some art skills an possibly could trim it nice, but if I screw it up it will be a ---smurfette--- to peel that sticker off.

I'm hoping you guys have some tips for this. I know some of you have done this before and made it look awesome.
They treated me like an animal and that's what I became.

Namco

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:42:30 pm
  • Now addicted to Williams pins... all of them.
    • Freddo Mame Project
Re: Have you ever installed overlay on a dynamo cut corner CP?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2023, 05:25:19 pm »
The way I did mine, I duplicated what I had seen in the 90's on every cutcorner SF2 I had ever seen, trim the corners with an x-acto and fresh plexi on top.

You don't notice the tiny white edge and if it's a problem, hit it with a sharpie. You're just going to be in awe in how good the finished product looks and you'll never notice the trimmed edge.

But I can see the idea of just doing top artwork in the shape of the flat plexi area, I bet it would look nice. The deciding factor will be when you mock it up in photoshop and compare the 3 options.

Here's the rest of the gallery of my build: https://imgur.com/a/8BpHSWQ

But yeah, I didn't really have these kind of design decisions as a SF2 cabinet is a known quantity.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2023, 05:27:44 pm by Namco »

rackoon

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 28, 2023, 02:29:36 pm
  • I EAT PENCILS!
Re: Have you ever installed overlay on a dynamo cut corner CP?
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2023, 01:38:32 am »
Thanks for taking the time Namco. Your finished product looks great. I checked out your page, good stuff :applaud:

I usually do the plywood CP. This time around I thought I would try something different and go with a metal one. I watched a guy lamanate a dynamo CP and it looked pretty rough, and I got spooked. But after seeing your results and the sharpi trick I am going to try the full sticker 8)
They treated me like an animal and that's what I became.